Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

why do firebirds always look like camaro's ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do firebirds always look like camaro's ?

I never new why chevy kept letting the firebird look exactly like the camaro didn't that take a lot of the money they could made away in the car market I don't get how they allowed that to happen and when exactly it did start just always wanted to no and witch car is better ?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: why do firebirds always look like camaro's ?

didn't that take a lot of the money they could made away in the car market
Quite the opposite... in mass production, it COSTS money to make things different.

when exactly it did start
Pretty much, the day Pontiac saw the design that Chevy had come up with to compete against the brand-new Frod product named "Mustang", and demanded from the higher-ups at GM that Chevrolet hand over the platform drawings to them and that they be allowed to "create" their own version, to be built from the same chassis parts on the same production lines in the same plants; would have happened in maybe 65 or VERY early 66, since they did it from the introduction of the Camaro and Firebird in 67 up until their demise in 2002

witch car is better
Neither, really; they're EXACTLY the same car with only very minor detail differences especially the 3rd & 4th gen ones where the drivetrains were all the same, you just pick which one's options and "styling" (sticker package) you like better, and of course pay a little extra for the Pontiac version (which is how they made back what they otherwise lost by making 2 different versions of the same car).

Last edited by sofakingdom; 01-21-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 z28
Engine: 350/ported accel tpi/AFR 195
Transmission: t-5 =(
Axle/Gears: 345

Originally Posted by sofakingdom

Neither, really; they're EXACTLY the same car with only very minor detail differences especially the 3rd & 4th gen ones where the drivetrains were all the same, you just pick which one's options and "styling" (sticker package) you like better, and of course pay a little extra for the Pontiac version (which is how they made back what they otherwise lost by making 2 different versions of the same car).
Looks like they didnt make 2 much of the money back being that ponitac is no longer being made.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Looks like they didnt make 2 much of the money back being that ponitac is no longer being made
Couldn't say how much of that, if any, the Firebird was responsible for...

But the same situation existed throughout the GM product line. Virtually every car platform had 4 or 5 brand-name versions, which are/were basically identical except for the stickers and the dealer network. That cost them ALOT of money to sustain. That's why Pontiac and Olds no longer exist. It had been A LONG TIME, going back decades before the Camaro/Firebird product even existed, since the divisions offered anything truly different from each other. They've trimmed that back some, but there's still room; Chevy/GMC trucks for example. The ONLY reason GMC still exists is because of the dealer network: check on your state's laws regarding franchises (which is what a car dealership is, legally, just like McDonalds or Servicemaster or something) and you'll see, it's VERY VERY HARD for the "parent" company to unilaterally abolish them. That's something that GM SHOULD HAVE done, IMO, while they were in bakruptcy, the way Xler did. It'll come back to haunt em someday.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

It's in all the car brands. Look at a Ford Crown Vic and a Mercury Marquis. Just about every car has a "sister car". Just about every Chevy has a Pontiac or Olds or Buick "sister" - like the Monte Carlo (Chevy), the Cutlass (Olds), the Grand National (Buick) (I know, GN was a package, but don't remember for what car name). Same with Ford. Chevy Blazer vs. GMC Jimmy vs. Olds Brevada. Even still today. And even across brands - like the Dodge Conquest & the Mitsubishi Starion - same car, subtle differences - Dodge partnered with Mitsu - both had Japan and US parts in one car. Mazda & Ford - same thing - Ford Explorer and Mazda Navajo, Ford Courier and Mazda B-series trucks.

Create one "mold", and change subtle "add-ons" means way less production costs - the "lost cash" from any project is in the design - design once, change a few cosmetics, and you have 3 cars with different look, but same "mold/design" cost.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Yup...

And Frod has turfed Mercury, and Xler has turfed Plymouth recently and turfed Desoto back in the 50s and the rest of AMC except for Jeep since they bought that. I'm not real sure what they were thinking when they started private-labelling DSMs, one label for each dealer network. You could go to Misstoobitchy and buy an Eclipse, to Eagle (AMC) and buy a Talon, to Dodge and buy a Daytona, and to Plymouth and buy a .... what was it? I'm drawing a blank... and peel off the stickers and park them side by side and not be able to tell them apart except by the VIN.

The days of everybody buying basically the same CAR and then "market segmentation" being defined by "styling cues" has largely come to an end. Should have been done AT LEAST 40 years earlier. Unfortunately the laws on franchises being what they are, it's basically impossible for a mfr to discontinue a product line which in turn discontinues its franchises (dealerships), without offering them a substitute of equal or greater value... clearly impossible. Which in the long run, cutting out all that fat is a good thing; given that it costs less to buy 100,000 of some part and label it "Chevy" than it does to buy 80,000 of that part and then 20,000 of the same part that's exactly the same except completely different and put a "Pontiac" label on it, and that cost eventually makes its way to the consumer without delivering A DIME of actual VALUE. Cutting out all that waste is a productive and healthy development.

The GN was a Regal, which was formerly a sub-model of the Century, which was formerly the Skylark.

{edit} Ah-hah! blinding flash of the obvious: the Plymouth Eclipse was called the Laser.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 01-21-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: both brain cells started working at the same time
Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-5 Manual

I see a very distinctive difference between Camaros and Firebirds. From the hood, fenders, doors, and complete rear end.

Fenders is whats killing me right now, im looking to replace my right front fender and camaro's fenders are a dime a dozen and in great shape but completely different. Every Firebird fender i located is damaged...Horrible

I think its a f-body owner thing to notice the complete differences. Pontiac is Pontiac, and Chevy is Chevy built differently in separate factories, just using the same basic designs. Gm just provided the drivetrain that you will find in almost every GM product.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Car: 1989 Forumla 350 WS6
Engine: 5.7 TPI:Bosch III's 22#'s
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt Posi- 3:27

Firebirds are better looking! They look nothing like a Camaro, more streamlined.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I tihnk the OP was dropped as a baby
Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 PM

Car: 87 GTA flame red
Engine: 5.7 l98 cranes 2032 and chip
Transmission: stage 10 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 axle

imo, firebirds look like they are simply faster cars (though they re the same). they look very streamline and have a much nicer interior. plus when you are in a firebird you feel like you are one with it in a camaro you feel like you are on top of it. just my opinion (please dont get t-off or start arguing about it is just my opinion)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Red 87 GTA
imo, firebirds look like they are simply faster cars (though they re the same). they look very streamline and have a much nicer interior. plus when you are in a firebird you feel like you are one with it in a camaro you feel like you are on top of it. just my opinion (please dont get t-off or start arguing about it is just my opinion)
The 4th gen even more so

The Poncho's are bad and mean

The Bowtie's front end looks like fish lips with a bad botoix job.

the 5th gen saved the design of the Camaro and brought it back to reality.
If they had kept up the same design as the 4th gen, it would of been a let down.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 PM

fourth gen camaros looked almost like commuter cars but the birds looked meaner. when it is thought about the firebird while contains same drive train and chassis that is where it ends. they have different fender nose and rear end design and different suspension packages. the firebirds also have about an extra grand in the interior including a much more integrated dash, consoles, much nicer power seats in the high end packages ect. And it is because of this that the firebirds sold less than the camaros because of more expensive styling and the amount of extra options which made the bird much more diferent between models which made it much more personalized compared to the camaro's cookie cutter styling similarities. So even though the two even tough extremely similar in the drive train they fit two different classes of car one is very customizable and more expensive and the other not so custom and cost less

Last edited by Red 87 GTA; 01-21-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 PM

I always thought the camaro looked better not saying firebirds ulgy cuz not but I think camaros are better but I deff agree that the 4(h gen camaro was horrible it was the worste body style the camaro had the firebrids 4th gen was killen the camaros but the new camaro are fresh I hope the rumors I been hearing are true and they make a new gen firebird u guys ever think we will?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 PM

pontiac is gone so unless they get readopted there wont be one. and though it is horible to admit it because pontiac is gone all third and fourth gen birds spiked in value making it more expensive to restore em too.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-5 Manual

Originally Posted by moneyz1
I always thought the camaro looked better not saying firebirds ulgy cuz not but I think camaros are better but I deff agree that the 4(h gen camaro was horrible it was the worste body style the camaro had the firebrids 4th gen was killen the camaros but the new camaro are fresh I hope the rumors I been hearing are true and they make a new gen firebird u guys ever think we will?

Doubtful, but I will be buying a new camaro with Firebird body kit. Not too crazy, something with the 3rd-gen style though, as they are by far my favorite.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

pontiac is gone so unless they get readopted there wont be one. and though it is horible to admit it because pontiac is gone all third and fourth gen birds spiked in value making it more expensive to restore em too.
GM left room for specialty vehicles, which probably won’t happen till they are secure on their path. Just like how they nuked the Camaro for a long while.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Gm would be smart to make a new firebird that new body style is great they would def catchtchot of buzz
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 PM

also for instance the 87 gta only sold 11,102 while the iroc-Z28 sold 38,889. so the firebird is much more rare and expensive
Old 01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Originally Posted by Gumby
GM left room for specialty vehicles, which probably won’t happen till they are secure on their path. Just like how they nuked the Camaro for a long while.
Do a grille delete and they start looking a whole lot more appealing. For example:

Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by moneyz1
Gm would be smart to make a new firebird that new body style is great they would def catchtchot of buzz
doing this before they re-adopt Pontiac would be like a catch 22 its a firebird but made by Chevy. it would catch attention but hard boiled Pontiac fans would shun it as not a true firebird and would not buy it so thats why gm has not marketed a new firebird. there have been 2010 concepts which are stupid because they are basically chopped up camaros with a split grill and trans am written on the front seats.
If they were to make a new firebird they would need the Pontiac team to sit down and recreate the 70s smoky cars with a low profile streamline look that does not resemble the new camaro at all. and maybe even a Pontiac 455
Old 01-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

doing this before they re-adopt Pontiac would be like a catch 22 its a firebird but made by Chevy. it would catch attention but hard boiled Pontiac fans would shun it as not a true firebird and would not buy it so thats why gm has not marketed a new firebird. there have been 2010 concepts which are stupid because they are basically chopped up camaros with a split grill and trans am written on the front seats.
If they were to make a new firebird they would need the Pontiac team to sit down and recreate the 70s smoky cars with a low profile streamline look that does not resemble the new camaro at all. and maybe even a Pontiac 455
The Firebreather is a nice blend of both. I'd buy one if I made that kind of money considering I think the new Camaro is disgusting.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Yes! Now we're talking! 455 Poncho!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:12 AM

The new camaros are goof bu my fave camaros will always be the 60s camaros and the third gen
Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

GM is the largest car manufacturer in the world their brands are Chevy, GMC, pontiac, buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Saab, Holden, hummer, Vauxhall, Opel, and Isuzu. They are also share holders of Suzuki, Fiat, and Daewoo. That is a lot of 3.8 V6 and 350 V8 engines and the reason everything looks the same. In business you stop carrying the brands that do not sell.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:04 PM

Car: 85 TA (sold), 88 Corvette, 02 Monte

Front of a late 4th camaro looked like a chrysler. I think they had much nicer back ends than the birds though. Pontiac seemed to love those round rears in the late 90s. I had both types last decade, and always wished I could have had front half firebird, back half camaro, and the firebird interior which I liked better.

For 3rd gens, Birds will always be my choice.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Couldn't say how much of that, if any, the Firebird was responsible for...

But the same situation existed throughout the GM product line. Virtually every car platform had 4 or 5 brand-name versions, which are/were basically identical except for the stickers and the dealer network. That cost them ALOT of money to sustain. That's why Pontiac and Olds no longer exist. It had been A LONG TIME, going back decades before the Camaro/Firebird product even existed, since the divisions offered anything truly different from each other. They've trimmed that back some, but there's still room; Chevy/GMC trucks for example. The ONLY reason GMC still exists is because of the dealer network: check on your state's laws regarding franchises (which is what a car dealership is, legally, just like McDonalds or Servicemaster or something) and you'll see, it's VERY VERY HARD for the "parent" company to unilaterally abolish them. That's something that GM SHOULD HAVE done, IMO, while they were in bakruptcy, the way Xler did. It'll come back to haunt em someday.
Off top of my head, for 5:

1) Chevy Trailblazer
2) GMC Envoy
3) Isuzu Ascender (!)
4) Saab 9-7X
5) (Oldsmobile Bravada, certain overseas markets)
.. im forgetting one.. 1) Saab, 2) Isuzu, 3) Chevy, 4) GMX, hmm yep 5) Oldsmobile, certain markets.

1) Pontiac PARISIENNE
2) Buick LE SABRE
3) Olds DELTA 88
4) Chevy CAPRICE

1) Chevy CAVALIER
2) Pontiac SUNFIRE

ummm...

1) Olds 88
2) Pontiac BONNEVILLE
3) Buick LESABRE

need i go on?

So the last Pontiac was in 2002, huh. it was lookign rpetty ugly by then.

Sometimes i look at the car from a certain angle, and im -amazed- at how much the front overhangs the front wheels.. i HATE 4th gens for that reason alone. And they ooked rather ugly, 4th gens. Firebird in particular, SOME camaros looked "OK" until the wheel angle.

Knight Rider, anyone? Cool K.I.T.T. And it had LEATHER!

Maybe that was a 305 TPI, idk if they had "Formula" or if that was a "Trans Am"
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by jharrison5
GM is the largest car manufacturer in the world their brands are Chevy, GMC, pontiac, buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Saturn, Geo, Saab, Holden, hummer, Vauxhall, Opel, and Isuzu. They are also share holders of Suzuki, Fiat, and Daewoo. That is a lot of 3.8 V6 and 350 V8 engines and the reason everything looks the same. In business you stop carrying the brands that do not sell.
Its down to Buick, Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac.

Scratch Geo (made into Chevy I asked myself same thing,) OLDSMOBILE (lasted till 04,) PONTIAC, Saturn, HUMMER, ISUZU off list (That is six..) SAAB (Seven) DAEWOO (8, still sold as that in China) and even the Daewoos still lurking in Chevy lineup are dying (Saturn Aura, Uplander, Aveo.)

Suzuki should die out idk why they didnt watch for the 2011 "Swift"

Daewoo was DEBACLE

Fiat was Chrysler they AR ENOT coming back to AMERICA In 2011!

HTH.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by texascat2
Firebirds are better looking! They look nothing like a Camaro, more streamlined.
If that l=blue car is a firebird thats a good looking firebird.

I used to have one of THESE

Yeah, Nissan.. for comparative purposes. Maybe my Camaro will be all this car could be... im not sure yet. MAYBE. Or ill add a Nissan to it, as a sister
Old 01-22-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
The Firebreather is a nice blend of both. I'd buy one if I made that kind of money considering I think the new Camaro is disgusting.
BUMBLEBEE!!!

TRANSFORM!!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 AM

why couldn't they just clean bumblebe up and make it show its true beauty rather than change it to that THING. just saying id rather drive a beat up nasty 60s T/A or Camaro than the new one.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 84CAMARO28inFL
If that l=blue car is a firebird thats a good looking firebird.

I used to have one of THESE

Yeah, Nissan.. for comparative purposes. Maybe my Camaro will be all this car could be... im not sure yet. MAYBE. Or ill add a Nissan to it, as a sister
Yes it's a Firebird, check my signature. Thank you. Your Camaro could be a lot more then the Nissan. How many classic Nissan's do you see? Not much of collector car.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:41 AM

why couldn't they just clean bumblebe up and make it show its true beauty rather than change it to that THING. just saying id rather drive a beat up nasty 60s T/A or Camaro than the new one.
If we make a kit to make that cartoonish Transformers car look like a 60s or "Smoky and the Bandit" T/A we could make some $$$$$ or even $$$$$$ lets DO it :!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Car: 1991 camaro vert
Engine: ls1 soon
Transmission: t56 soon
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt 4.10 soon!

Originally Posted by 84CAMARO28inFL
If we make a kit to make that cartoonish Transformers car look like a 60s or "Smoky and the Bandit" T/A we could make some $$$$$ or even $$$$$$ lets DO it :!
They already have I have pics ill post later that I took at gm nationals this past year
Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

you wanna make money and inspire someone, take the bumble bee toy, 2nd or 5th gen and make a full size version of the toy that can transform.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 PM

you wanna make money and inspire someone, take the bumble bee toy, 2nd or 5th gen and make a full size version of the toy that can transform.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 rs, 86 Trans Am
Engine: RS-V6... Trans Am-LG4
Transmission: RS-T5... Trans Am 700r4

love this thread

I love the brand crossover list from an earlier post, but you forgot the most laughable line... from 1985-1988, GM produced all of these cars at the same time... all based on the J platform..

Cadillac Cimarron
Oldsmobile Firenza
Buick Skyhawk
Chevrolet Cavalier
Pontiac Sunbird
Old 01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Except that the earlier Sunbird was also known as the J-2000... :edit: And it was funny how my parents owned 3 of those J's... Started with a Skyhawk that went belly up real quick (engine block cracked under NORMAL driving!), moved to a Firenza wagon, and then to a 4-door Cavalier.

From 88-96, W-platform:
Buick Regal
Chevy Beretta/Lumina (depending on coupe or sedan)
Olds Cutlass Supreme
Pontiac Grand Prix

96-whenever:
Regal
Lumina/Monte Carlo, and then either the Malibu or the Impala after the Lumina was dropped (can never remember which)
(whichever replaced the Cutlass... Maybe the Alero?)
Grand Prix

I could go on with N-bodies, etc... But then, speaking a little newer, we have the Caddy XLR (or whatever that thing was) sharing the Vette platform (yikes!).

Everything is a rebadged Chevy nowadays at GM... Except those cars that have their own lines like the SSR, HHR, Aveo... (unless those happen to have one of the foreign divisions for sister cars). I keep wondering when GM is going to ditch Buick and GMC... Guess I'll have to keep wishing there.

As for OP, well, you can't completely redesign a car on a specific frame just to fit another brand name. That would be ridiculous.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by texascat2
We know the toy version of the car can turn into a robot, just scale it up, add some hydrolics and a engine.......
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM

We know the toy version of the car can turn into a robot, just scale it up, add some hydrolics and a engine.......
And......shaaazam!