Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 firebird sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 firebird
Engine: 3.1 liter
91 firebird sputtering

I have a 91 firebird 3.1 v6 that is sputtering while at idle or while cruising down the road. It doesn't die. The car starts just fine every time. When I give it alot of gas, it takes off just fine with no sputtering. I have changed the fuel filter, the plugs and wires, and my cap seems to be fine. (that I can tell anyway). the only codes i have are for the 02 sensor, and for my Tachometer. But the engine light is not on. Im not sure where to start. Mechanical problem? Electrical? Fuel? my gas is Good. No water. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L LH0
Transmission: 700R4
Re: 91 firebird sputtering

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but I'm having the exact same problems as you were/still are. Same year, and engine.

The only thing I've noticed that differs from your original post is that on the initial startup, my exhaust has a slight blueish tinge to it, characteristic of burning oil...or so I've read.

I have a smooth startup, like mentioned in the original post, but after driving for about 10-15 minutes it develops a 'sputtering' during acceleration, and at an idle, that slowly progresses into what seems like a misfire.

I had a spark plug wire fall down, and get burned on my exhaust manifold. It didn't burn all the way through the wire, but the point of contact where it had laid on the manifold was stiff, so I changed the plug, and wire earlier today.

If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the lengthy post, but I thought the more details the easier it might be to diagnose.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR
Re: 91 firebird sputtering

Get a manual and read up on all the components that make up the engine management system. Then start checking them. Check the fuel pressure. Test the injectors. Unless they have been replaced relatively recently there's a good chance the injectors need to be replaced and the fuel pressure regulator needs to be rebuilt. Once they are done you have a good base to start with.