Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

92 RS Camaro Shift Cable Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 25 Anniversary Chevy Camaro RS
Engine: TBI 305sb
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: Stock
92 RS Camaro Shift Cable Question.

Ever since I've owned my Camaro the car has never fully engaged into park. But it was on the bottom of my to do list, I had other issues to take care of first. Well after I replaced my broken transmission mount with a Spohn prothane mount. The car will not disengage out of reverse now, so I got under to see if I could adjust the cable on the linkage itself. Found out the mounting tabs were not pushed in all the way into the mounting bracket. So I fixed that and still the car would not engage into park. So I looked under the shifter and found the rubber grommet was ripped on the cable, and the tabs were not fully engaged on the mounting bracket under the center console either. So I fixed those tabs and cleaned up under the shifter. Still this car will not engage into park. So I checked the shift linkage on the transmission to see if it was bent, or if the transmission would not engage into park from the bottom. Well nothing is bent and the trans will engage fully into park. But the cable does not seem long enough to fully go into park. Before I got the car the previous owner did have to replace the shift cable, but I have no clue what brand he used. At this point I'm thinking the cable is bound up somewhere. It just seems to short to me, I even adjusted the shifter itself pushing it closer to the dash. So I'm just going to replace the cable and hope for the best. I've heard that the cables from your typical parts store such as OReillys and Autozone are junk and just stretch or break pretty quickly. So I'm looking at either getting one from GM or RockAuto. What is your opinions on what brand to go with?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 92 RS Camaro Shift Cable Question.

just to clarify; if you go underneath, disconnect the cable, does the tranny go into all gears when you move the lever?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
just to clarify; if you go underneath, disconnect the cable, does the tranny go into all gears when you move the lever?
Yes it does, it's a very clean smooth but precise transaction between all the gears. I went through all the gears on the lever underneath with the cable unhooked to make sure my trans was not messed up.

I also tried to reinstall the cable by adjusting it both in neutral and park but both times when I initially pull it out of park by the shifter when all hooked up. It will not go back into park after that.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Stay away from the Pioneer brand cables - they are total junk. Try a Dorman part number 04260 - you can order from just about any auto parts store (Autozone and Advance both can order Dorman parts, as well as Oreilly's I think).

GM discontinued the cable, so not available at the dealer anymore.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie
Stay away from the Pioneer brand cables - they are total junk. Try a Dorman part number 04260 - you can order from just about any auto parts store (Autozone and Advance both can order Dorman parts, as well as Oreilly's I think).

GM discontinued the cable, so not available at the dealer anymore.
Yeah, I was looking at getting the Dorman product from RockAuto. I'll get that ordered soon.