Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Non cranking 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 355 Super Charged
Transmission: B&M Streetfighter
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 342
Non cranking 3rd gen

Hello, I am new here and need a little help, wondering if anyone has had this problem, thanks everyone.

I put a new battery in about 2 weeks ago, car started fine, I went to start it yesterday and nothing. I have full battery power, the car wil not crank, I turn the key and the security light blinks and goes off just like normal. Here is wahat I have investigated so far..
  • Fuses - crank, ECM, all other - Anti theft relay clicks (looks like it opens and closes) VATS - I have not looked at the ignition switch yet - volt meter to see if the switch is stuck open ">New Battery cables
  • neutral safety switch
If anyone could help here please jump in, information would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Last edited by 91 Droptop; 07-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Car: 1992 z28 Purple Haze
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 both spinning
Re: Non cranking 3rd gen

I assume you have a tilt wheel. Try tilting it all the way down and starting it. We used to have an 86 z28 that did this and when the wheel was tilted up, nothing, tilt it down and it worked fine. Apparently it was a wire or two that was breaking connection when the wheel was tilted all the way up.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanks I tried that already, I am going thru the car with an OHM meter now
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 1994-1995 LT1 5.7
Axle/Gears: 3.27

is the starter clicking? does it try to turn the flywheel? Does the spinning gear inside the starter moving when turning the key? Check that out? If you say it started fine, now doesnt crank I would check that too.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Z-28 5.7 TPI
Engine: 5.7 TPI

The VATS system is harder to check than you would think. Here is what did and it worked for me as I had the same problem as you. Look at the bottom of the steering column and see if there are 2 white wires, rather thin you see coming out. These are the Vats wires going to the key switch. They should connect with a plug in type connector to some black wires down there between the bottom of the dash and the brake pedal. Pull the connection apart, be careful mine were kinda fragile and I broke the connector. Take the key out. Touch the resistor in the key one lead on each side with your ohm meter, see what resistance the chip in the key is. Put the key back in, and check the resistance between the two wires coming out of the column, the white wires at the connector. If you read open circuit the white wires are broken between the key switch and the bottom of the steering column. Even if you read the same resistance as the key, turn the wheel and use the tilt to see if you lose it some where in the movements. This is why jtsk could turn on the car when he tilted the wheel down but not up. If this is your problem you have 2 possible solutions. #1 Get the new wire set, take apart the column and replace it OR #2 Take your key and ohm meter to Radio Shack and find a resistor in there that matches yours, I did this and it cost me 99 cents to fix the problem, I put the resistor between the 2 black wires that are supposed to connect to the white wires and it fools the VATS into thinking the right key is in the ignition whether it is or not. The only thing I don't like is that the VATS system is a good security measure to keep your car from getting stolen, I installed a hidden switch under the dash to break the circuit when I want to so that the security still works. I have an 89 iroc, things may be different for your 91 but I think for the most part they should be the same.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM

After digging in I found the other owner had done this (Radio Shack Thing) I am in the middle of a complete resoration so I guess I might as well just rewire it all the correct way. Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Car: 1992 z28 Purple Haze
Engine: 5.7L Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 both spinning

Cool, post pics as you go and good luck!