Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation, Might be helpful

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 69 GTO, 92 Formula
1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation, Might be helpful

Hello, I have a 92 Formula 305 TBI with hesitation. I bought the car in Maryland in May. It ran fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

When I start the car ( cold or hot) , it loads up then wants to stall , then repeats the cycle. I get the hesitation at idle and sometimes while driving it. I read the link below and some have suggested to replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...nly-under.html

I replaced the TPS, coolant temp sensor, air cleaner, breather and some vacumm hoses today. Still have the hesitation.

The plugs, wires and cap/rotor seem fine.

Items that have not been replaced:
a) plugs, wires and cap/rotor
b) fuel filter
c) MAP Sensor
d) Inlet Air Sensor

Does the TPS have to be adjusted?
From what i read, some earlier TBI cars had to be adjusted, but for the 92, it does not seem to be the case.

Is there any thing the would cause theses symtoms?

Thanks

Last edited by joe69formula; 09-05-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Update status
Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Re: 1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation, Might be helpful

I took the air cleaner off today to check out the vacuum lines. I noticed that the base for the air cleaner had a gasket sticking out of it (between the air cleaner base and the throttle body). So, I decided to take the base off.
There was a gasket that was worn and bulging out of form, letting in excess air !!!
Shown in the pic below:

So I found a gasket from my pile of Quadrajet carb parts from my 69 GTO:

Here is the base for the air cleaner:

Here is a pic of the thickness between the two: ( not the best pic)

Here is the gasket on the throttle body:

... and the base on the gasket/throttle body:

I took the car for a drive and this seemed to stop 95% plus of the hesitation.
When i first started the car, it would go up to idle , then drop down, then up to idle again. This cycle repeated a few times until the car warmed up.

Last edited by joe69formula; 09-05-2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Last pic not showing
Old 09-11-2011, 06:36 PM

I checked the EGR and vacuum line going to it. With the car at operating temperature, I disconnected the vacuum line and hooked up a vacuum gauge to the line. The gauge read 8-10 Hg as I moved the throttle. Then i connected the line to the EGR valve and moved the throttle, the EGR diaphragm did not move. SO I need a new EGR.

Would the EGR alone, cause the idle to rise then drop ? ( this occurs in a cycle )
Old 12-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Update:
The car still hesitates, especially when it is cold. When the car has sat for a while, it will start, idle fine for a minute, then the idle will start to surge up and down (load up/down) until the it is at operating temp.

I have replaced:
- Idle Air Control valve ( made an improvement )
- TPS ( made an improvement )
- coolant temp sensor ( no improvement )
- EGR valve ( no improvement )
- fuel relay/oil pressure switch, but did not install it yet.

First thing to point out is that the oil pressure gauge is pinned to the right. Not sure if the fuel relay/oil pressure switch would do it.

Second, the fuel pressure is at 8psi (reading taken from the fuel line connections on the left of the engine). The chiltons manual states that it should be 9-11 psi. The fuel pump does make a louder noise when first turned on compared to what i heard from other f-bodys.

Third, the previous owner put a 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust.

Fourth, I checked and replaced some dry-rotted vacumm hoses.

Fifth, I checked the spray pattern of the injectors. They have a solid cone spray pattern. More liquidity than a mist.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like the pump is weak, hook a gauge up to it, tape it to the windshield, drive it till it acts up.
Are you running a stock air cleaner or an open element?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM

I am running a stock air cleaner. The car doesn't look like its been touched in the engine compartment. It still has the original date coded coolant hoses.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's

The fuel pump is shot. Should be at least 10 PSI or so. Closer to 12. Youll need a new one. A TPI pump will work well if you plan on future mods.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88' IROCZ
Engine: 388 TPI Motown 350 Race block
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77

Originally Posted by joe69formula
I checked the EGR and vacuum line going to it. With the car at operating temperature, I disconnected the vacuum line and hooked up a vacuum gauge to the line. The gauge read 8-10 Hg as I moved the throttle. Then i connected the line to the EGR valve and moved the throttle, the EGR diaphragm did not move. SO I need a new EGR.

Would the EGR alone, cause the idle to rise then drop ? ( this occurs in a cycle )
The EGR & IAC passages probably need cleaning.

The Exhaust Gas is only used at part throttle about 2000 rpm (controlled via the EGR solenoid) at that engine speed manifold vacuum is to low to operate the EGR valve properly so ported vacuum is used, that's vacuum produced above the throttle blade not below it which is manifold vacuum.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM

Well, it's been a while since my last post. But the problem is fixed!!!! It was the fuel pump hose connecting the fuel pump to the fuel sending unit.
The hose was split length wise.

The fuel pressure reading was 8 psi before and 12-13 psi after (at idle) the fix. It goes up to 14 psi when i move the throttle (while car is in park).

I seen this done on the turbobuick website, but the link is invalid:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tur...utes-less.html

Here are some pics to show how i did it:
I bought an air nibbler from Harbor Freight tools. They have decent tools at great prices. The air nibbler cost $25.
1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation,  Might be helpful-0114121739a.jpg

I cut the fuel lines using a brake tube cutter (cut by hand). NEVER use a power tool on the fuel lines or you will blow yourself up!!!!!

I used compression fittings on the first two lines from the left of the fuel sending unit, shown in this picture. The first is the supply line to the TBI, the second is the return, the third line i'm not sure yet, and the fourth is for venting.
1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation,  Might be helpful-0131121908a.jpg
Attached Thumbnails 1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation,  Might be helpful-0127121249a.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 PM

Here is the fuel pressure gauge i bought. Forgot where i got it from.
1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation,  Might be helpful-0131121912a.jpg

Here is the adapter connected inline, next to the alternator:
1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation,  Might be helpful-img_0008.jpg

And here is the finished product:
1992 Formula TBI - Hesitation,  Might be helpful-0127121249a.jpg

Today, i drove it for a long drive to work( 70 miles round trip). So far, i used 1/3 of a tank of gas and got 107 miles so far. The throttle response was awesome!!! There is no rattling of metal in the back. The compression fittings mentioned above are 3/8" and 5/16" from Pep Boys. One thing to mention, take out the fuel sending unit assembly out carefully!!! The one in the picture above was the original one. I broke the fuel level contact inside the fuel level housing. Nothing was touching the variable resistor in the fuel level housing and the fuel gauge needle was pinned past the full mark. So I bought a new Spectra fuel sending unit assembly from Pep Boys for $170, along with a new Carter fuel pump.

Some people will not agree with this method. I does work, looks professional and no leaks!!! In the past two and a half weeks, my daily driver died (94 Ranger), bought a new car, then my wifes 2000 Exploder (explorer) blew the reverse band in the transmission at 108,000 miles. We had that exploder since it was new. What a piece of crap!!! Anyway, i needed a driver, and this solution worked out. I hope someone finds this helpful. Thanks to all that have responded to this post !!!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a good repair to me.
I think its funny when are concerned about those access holes weakening the body, but I feel the sameway about when gm istalled t tops on them.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the comment. I used 14 gauge steel from Lowes for the cover plate. I then trimmed it with the air nibbler, then marked and drilled 10 holes for the 6mm screws, that connect to U-nuts. These are available at the local Ace hardware. I then cut a couple sheets of rubber (used for bathroom shower installs) for sealing. I layered them for a better seal. If i had time to order PEM fasteners or some type of self-clinching fasteners, then i could have only used one sheet of rubber instead of three. I might do that in the future for a cleaner install.

Last edited by joe69formula; 02-01-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: rephrase sentence