Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP! Rough idle, code 34, popping sounds.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Rough idle, code 34, popping sounds.

So a couple years ago I decided to install a summit 1103 camshaft into my 82 trans am 305 with a TPI swap. Initially after replacing the cam she ran fine. I then tore it back down and put a high flow base and runners on. While it was apart i also threw a new timing chain and gears on. Well after putting it all back together she wouldnt start... So, i went back double checked my timing set and turns out I had aligned the timing mark in the crank sprocket with the dowel on the cam (the one used to align the sprocket on the cam) instead of the timing mark on the cam sprocket. I corrected this but now she runs but horribly. Im getting a code 34, rough running and a popping sound coming up thru the intake. Sometimes it wont even run without my foot on the gas. Ive since put the stock base on and replaced the MAF but nothing changed. Same code, same horrible running. Ive tried checking for vacuum leaks by pressurizing the intake like I do for checking boost leaks on my turbocharged eclipse (round puck with air valve and gauge installed) but i get no pressure build up at all. I feel air coming out around the throttle body but cannot locate where its leaking from even after spraying the area with soapy water. I even pulled the TB off and put a new gasket on. Also when she does idle, its so rich my eyes burn... Im about at my wits end with the car right now. would a bent valve cause all this? Im stumped. Please help!

Last edited by smoove2022; 09-25-2011 at 06:21 PM.