Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Completely lost with 92 firebird formula-PLEASE Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 FI
Transmission: Auto
Completely lost with 92 firebird formula-PLEASE Help

Hey guys, stoked to be a part of this site.

I just got this car. Very clean. It's the formula edition, 5.0 FI auto with vats system.

The guy said it needed the second injector. Drove it around the block with injector two unplugged (the bad one supposably) and let it idle. After ten minutes of being on it shut off on it's own as if I turned the key off. There was no sputtering. I tried starting it and it would crank but not fire. Plugged in other injector and same deal. Started going through more injectors unplugging them and still nothing.

Did online research and similar problems on here. Went and bought an ignition module and coil. Once they were installed the car fired right up on all cylinders. Drove around and once again after ten minutes or so it shut off without warning while driving. Couldn't start the car for at least an hour and when it did, it would only start with injector two unplugged. When all injectors were plugged in it would only fire for a second or two with starting fluid.

The next day it started on all 8 injectors again. Let it run, wasn't shutting off. We noticed smoke and the catalytic converter was beat red - assuming it was clogged, we cut it off. Let it cool and once again wouldn't start not even with injector unplugged. Yesterday I noticed the MAP sensor was melted, thought "BINGO!". Bought a brand new one, drove around the block and let it run: didn't shut off. I turned it off waited a few seconds and it fired right up. I was ecstatic!

Came back out twenty minutes later after cutting exhaust to fit it l, went to fire it up and bring it into the garage and it once again cranked yet no fire. Unplugged injector two and it started. Not throwing any codes on the dash or anything.

My mind is blown and I don't know much about cars other than from trial and error so if I seem like an idiot, I am. But I'm trying to learn so if you could, help a fellow out!

By the way i was told it has new fuel pump & filter, wires & plugs and looks to have a new distributor cap.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Re: Completely lost with 92 firebird formula-PLEASE Help

Distributor pickup coil?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 PM

Car: 91' RS
Engine: 310 C.I.D. + n2o
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: built 10 bolt 3.73's

i smell a bad distributor
Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

you need to test your injectors. test for ohms to find out which ones are bad. then always replace all 8 at the same time.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:03 PM

I'll do that today and update how it reads out. If they're fine I'll head towards distributor.

Thanks guys!