Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine RPM's jumping around at idle and driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine RPM's jumping around at idle and driving

Hey guys recently my 88 Firebird Formula with a 350 and auto trans has been running a little rough at idle the rpm's are very jumpy going from 500 rpm s and spiking randomly to about 700 rpms more noticeably is driving on the highway. Doing about 65 at 2k leveling out the gas pedal my rps are going from 2000 spiking/jumping to 2500/2700 and you can feel it the whole ride.

Recently i changed my MAF sensor because it was bad i also changed my transmission mount because it needed to be swaped.
i dont think its a transmission issue because when i put the car in neutral the rpms are still rough could this be a misfire? the previous owner changed the sparkplug wires less than 10k miles ago. any ideas guys?

Last edited by xsvtank; 12-24-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Engine RPM's jumping around at idle and driving

We need to know what your working on.
If its running rough, check the tune up parts.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Sorry its a 88 Firebird Formula with a 350 and auto trans
Old 12-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to check the throttle postion sensor, use a volt meter or a scanner, it should be in the voltage spec & increase in voltage smoothly.
Get a fuel pressure tester, tape it to the windshield & drive it, note the pressure.
Test the coolant temp sensor, this has a big impact on idle speed. You can test it w/ a scanner or remove it & test it w/ an ohm meter in a pan of water. The resistence changes alot from cold to 200*. You'll need a thermometer too. You can find the ohm values on the web.
Check your grounds esp. the ecm grounds, usually at the back of the heads or near the t stat housing.
Make sure the distributor is in good shape, sometimes they will get loose from high mileage & cause weird problems.
I don't know if your maf sensor has a relay, check to see if the maf is getting the proper voltage.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by ex-x-fire
You need to check the throttle postion sensor, use a volt meter or a scanner, it should be in the voltage spec & increase in voltage smoothly.
Get a fuel pressure tester, tape it to the windshield & drive it, note the pressure.
Test the coolant temp sensor, this has a big impact on idle speed. You can test it w/ a scanner or remove it & test it w/ an ohm meter in a pan of water. The resistence changes alot from cold to 200*. You'll need a thermometer too. You can find the ohm values on the web.
Check your grounds esp. the ecm grounds, usually at the back of the heads or near the t stat housing.
Make sure the distributor is in good shape, sometimes they will get loose from high mileage & cause weird problems.
I don't know if your maf sensor has a relay, check to see if the maf is getting the proper voltage.
thank you tom morning i will check everything you said out
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 305 for now
Transmission: 5spd

Also check for a vacuum leak, your rpms serging at idle and while driving can sometimes indicate a vacuum leak,