Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

2.8 timing help

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.8 timing help

recently as a small summer project I rebuilt a 2.8 did some work bored it over a bit and everything was fine. Put it in and on the first try got the timing right however there were two problems, the tranny had 0 power and i had a bad leak at the back of the block. So after researching and replacing the governor on my 700R4 it was all back to normal, onto the leak i redid the whole top end thinking i had a leak back there only to realize once i was done it was still leaking-_-.................. Did some more research and saw that the distributor leaks when the o ring goes bad, went to remove o ring and it crumbled away, replaced that now were leak free and have power but........ the timing just wont set.

We went to TDC, placed the dizzy lining it up at cyl 5 and lining the rotor with the #1 spark plug tower on the cap. Fired up rough got the timing light and no where trying any position would it work.

Checked knock sensor it was giving good Current so guessing thats not bad took the MAF and it didnt run any better, its a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Please help about to set it on fire and get my marshmallows out
Old 03-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: BBC 509 Merlin ii 9.6:1 pump gas
Transmission: ATI pro th350 sfi case. TSI 5500 st
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 4:10s
Re: 2.8 timing help

Just go back throught and make sure that the harmonic balancers(notch) is straight up at the 12 oclock position. TDC for cylinder #1. Then just make sure that once you place the dizzy down in the block the rotor is facing the 7oclock position. Thats 0* of timing when you start the car. Make sure you disconnect the EST wire, next to the heater box so that there is no timing advance from the ecm. Sometimes you might need to advance the dizzy a bit to get it to start as it will start rough under 0* of timing exspecially when its cold out.

Also your firing orders right on the dizzy right?? 1,2,3,4,5,6 clock wise arround the dizzy, starting at that 7 oclock position on the cap.

Last edited by fasteddi; 03-04-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 86monster
recently as a small summer project I rebuilt a 2.8 did some work bored it over a bit and everything was fine. Put it in and on the first try got the timing right however there were two problems, the tranny had 0 power and i had a bad leak at the back of the block. So after researching and replacing the governor on my 700R4 it was all back to normal, onto the leak i redid the whole top end thinking i had a leak back there only to realize once i was done it was still leaking-_-.................. Did some more research and saw that the distributor leaks when the o ring goes bad, went to remove o ring and it crumbled away, replaced that now were leak free and have power but........ the timing just wont set.

We went to TDC, placed the dizzy lining it up at cyl 5 and lining the rotor with the #1 spark plug tower on the cap. Fired up rough got the timing light and no where trying any position would it work.

Checked knock sensor it was giving good Current so guessing thats not bad took the MAF and it didnt run any better, its a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Please help about to set it on fire and get my marshmallows out

Not a pro on these cars but I think there is a wire called EST(should be brown) and its on the passenger side near the blower motor I think when adjust/setting timing you need to unclip the wire
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Supreme Member

Yea the est wire, and also make sure that if you get that timing set to about 10* base timing, to shut the car off, un-hook the battery(resetting the ecm) then plug the wire back in, hook the batt. back up, and you should be good to go. If you get it fired up in the first place.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Alright will try this and post back!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Alright I've tried everything you said fasteddi, I just can't seem to get her to run normal again...... Anything you or anyone else can think of
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Supreme Member

Are you sure that the # 1 cylinder is TDC, and the rotor is aimed at it (7 o-clock possition)???? Believe me if the timeing is off it wont start. I did it before thinking the rotor was lined up right, and relized when i put the dizzy back into the block the rotor turned a half a turn. But you said cant get it to run normal again??? Does that mean it starts???

What all did you do when you recently worked on it. Look over every little wire and such that you might have touched. You have the firing order right??? 1,2,3,4,5,6 The #1 starts at the 7 c-clock position on the cap and works its way arround clockwise, so that the #3 plug wire is at 12 0 clock and # 6 wire is at 6 o clock on the cap.

Dizzy
5 6
3 4
1 2

Radiator

Cylinder #'s above

Last edited by fasteddi; 03-06-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Okay so when we find top dead center we go off the harmonic balancer and put that in the TDC mark and then pull plugs 1 and 4 and both of them are at TDC which is the right stroke right?. We then put the Dizzy back in with the rotor facing 7 o'clock (as if the Throttle body is 6 o'clock?). We then put the cap on the with the terminal 1 directly on the rotor. Disconnect EST wire, and it fires up but has a small tick (miss) coming out of the intake......... The wires and everything is all right because just 3 weeks ago it was running perfectly fine....
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86monster
Okay so when we find top dead center we go off the harmonic balancer and put that in the TDC mark and then pull plugs 1 and 4 and both of them are at TDC which is the right stroke right?. We then put the Dizzy back in with the rotor facing 7 o'clock (as if the Throttle body is 6 o'clock?). We then put the cap on the with the terminal 1 directly on the rotor. Disconnect EST wire, and it fires up but has a small tick (miss) coming out of the intake......... The wires and everything is all right because just 3 weeks ago it was running perfectly fine....
You'll know that Cylinder 1 is TDC because the lager notch on the harm. balencer is facing up twards the throttle body(12 o-clock position) And and yes the throttle body is 6-oclock when looking at the dizzy.

Have you had the chance to let it idle and see what the timing is when you use the #1 spark plug wire for the timing reference for the timing light?