Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

A/C guys- idle orifice tube problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A/C guys- idle orifice tube problem?

Guys- I just replaced the compressor and dryer and recharged a system (R134). She's cycling just fine and pressures, at least on the low side (I only have a gague on the filler hose), are right. But it's not getting very cold. Verified that the hot/cold selector system is working right.

I'm starting to wonder if I've got an orifice tube problem. Or could the evaporator be plugged up??

Now, on this particular vehicle I have a built-in comparison method- it's got front and back A/C systems (no, you caught me, not a Camaro- an early 90s Suburban). The front and back both run off the same compressor and how the system functions is otherwise identical to a late 3rd gen Camaro A/C system.

The rear A/C will freeze you out. The front is kinda weak. And the dryer bottle that comes off the front evaporator doesn't get very cold.

I don't even know if the rear system has it's own dryer and orifice tube, but for sure the compressor and the other shared parts aren't causing the problem It's a front system only problem we're having.

Any ideas or diagnostic methods you guys could offer up? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Damon; 04-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: A/C guys- idle orifice tube problem?

High and low pressure readings with the AC on max and the engine at a high idle? You'll need to see both pressure to see what the system is doing. Does the high side pressure increase when a piece of cardboard is placed in front of the condenser?