Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

'88 Camaro 2.8L will not stay running

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'88 Camaro 2.8L will not stay running

Hello all,
I have a 1988 Camaro with a 2.8L V6 engine. This car has been sitting at my parent's house for roughly 6 years and has been started very few times. Last summer my uncle (this was his car) was going to start driving it again, but it would not start and he had determined that the fuel pump went bad. So fast-forward to this spring, he decided he doesn't want to replace it gives it to me for free. I replace the fuel pump and get the rear end back together. I turn the key on and I can hear the pump activate. Cool, it works. Try to start it - doesn't fire. Ok, I check for a spark. I notice that, while there is a spark, the plugs are pretty fouled up with crud. No problem, there was a spare new set in the car. After replacing all 6 plugs the car will fire and start now, but it will only run for about a second or two before dying. If I depress the gas while cranking it will not fire, and if I give it gas after it fires it will die immediately. For the second or two that it runs it sounds somewhat "normal," as in it is not backfiring or stuttering as far as i can tell in the short amount of time it is running. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my next troubleshooting step should be?

Update: So in the off-chance that someone in the future will have the same problem as me and a Google search turns you here, I found a solution. First, I made sure that all the old gas was drained from the tank and that there was none of it left in the lines either. I put new gas in. Then, I sprayed some carb/choke cleaner in the air intake to loosen up some of the sooty buildup that was in there. I also made sure that all the car's fluids were topped off. After doing this the car started and stayed running.

Last edited by Silent_Blade; 06-17-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Found Solution