Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need help matching cam, heads, intake, etc for 350/383 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L(swapping in 385)
Transmission: Looking for T56
Axle/Gears: Looking for 3.73 posi
Re: Need help matching cam, heads, intake, etc for 350/383 build

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
A stock T-56 flywheel will work fine. Just get that when you get your T-56.

No particular need for a new damper if your old one is OK. Again, one made to stock specs is fine.

Yes in general lighter is better for wrist pins... after all, for every power-producing stroke of the engine, they get accelerated to the top of the cyl, stopped, accelerated to the bottom of the cyl, and stopped again; all this energy-wasting motion, TWICE. No sense diverting any more of your fuel's energy than absolutely necessary to this task.

I used a word up there, that sort of applies to the situation... "muda". Read about it and understand it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muda_(Japanese_term) The wrist pin is a necessary part, doing a necessary thing; but does not "add value" to the engine's operation. Kind of like, in your office where you work, the carpet has to be vacuumed every so often, say, once a day; but, vacuuming the carpet twice as much, say, once at lunch and once in the evening, doesn't make your company's product any better. That would be considered "muda". Same deal here. Use enough to be adequate but no more. In the case of wrist pins, the lighter they are, the less energy they waste, therefore the better; as long as they're heavy enough to (a) not break, and (b) be within the range of the crank's ability to balance to them.
Interesting information. Now, the summitracing pages didn't specify the wrist pin length for those pistons. So I found this page for specs..
http://www.coasthigh.com/Chevy-383-2...ns-p/12344.htm
Closer to the bottom the specs are in a chart.

So I found the wrist pin length there(2.500"), but it also gave me the weight. From our conversation above, I assume that the 118 grams it specifies is interchangable. But I used the 0.927" I already knew and the 2.500" the link gave me and came up with maybe..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-0927X216K/
My only concern is, is there a reason why these are so cheap, and I should maybe avoid?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Seanphelps321
Interesting information. Now, the summitracing pages didn't specify the wrist pin length for those pistons. So I found this page for specs..
http://www.coasthigh.com/Chevy-383-2...ns-p/12344.htm
Closer to the bottom the specs are in a chart.

So I found the wrist pin length there(2.500"), but it also gave me the weight. From our conversation above, I assume that the 118 grams it specifies is interchangable. But I used the 0.927" I already knew and the 2.500" the link gave me and came up with maybe..
My only concern is, is there a reason why these are so cheap, and I should maybe avoid?
Also should I upgrade the oil pump or keep it stock?

And while I'm asking about the pump, would the stock oil pan be too small for this new crank?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

My favorite pump setup is the stock replacement M55, with the Mr Gasket 26 spring, the IS-55E intermediate shaft, and 55S screen.

Your stock pan is entirely adequate.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 PM

My favorite pump setup is the stock replacement M55, with the Mr Gasket 26 spring, the IS-55E intermediate shaft, and 55S screen.

Your stock pan is entirely adequate.
Alright. I'll go with that then. Good to hear the oil pan is fine.

Also. What were your thoughts on these wrist pins?
The price is attractive, but then again makes me wonder. I want to make sure everything holds up in this engine.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

Those pins would be fine... I'd suspect that they're cheep because (a) they are made from some ordinary material instead of some exotic high-$$$$ alloy; and/or (b) they start with some dimension of tubing that requires a minimum of machine work to get from the size it walks in their door, to the finished size going back out the door; and/or (c) whatever alloy they use, is easy on tools and machines fast; and/or (d) they use something that's real soft and easy to machine and then have it heat-treated to harden it, in bulk along with lots of other parts, such that the incremental cost of the heat-treating isn't too huge.

Ask your balancing shop, when you take all your parts in to be balanced, if it would be OK to use lighter pins. Usually, the lighter the reciprocating parts are, the more metal they have to remove from the crank counterweights.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:48 PM

Those pins would be fine... I'd suspect that they're cheep because (a) they are made from some ordinary material instead of some exotic high-$$$$ alloy; and/or (b) they start with some dimension of tubing that requires a minimum of machine work to get from the size it walks in their door, to the finished size going back out the door; and/or (c) whatever alloy they use, is easy on tools and machines fast; and/or (d) they use something that's real soft and easy to machine and then have it heat-treated to harden it, in bulk along with lots of other parts, such that the incremental cost of the heat-treating isn't too huge.

Ask your balancing shop, when you take all your parts in to be balanced, if it would be OK to use lighter pins. Usually, the lighter the reciprocating parts are, the more metal they have to remove from the crank counterweights.
Ok. Cool.

Now what should I look for in choosing a distributor? Do I need to look for something special to match this setup?
Old 06-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Ok. Cool.

Now what should I look for in choosing a distributor? Do I need to look for something special to match this setup?
I was recently recommended by another person to choose an Eagle rot assy. The guy recommended me using this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13004L03053/

I know we've already covered so much on rotating assemblies but my question is, would sticking to the probe pistons, scat 9000 crank, scat i beam rods, and matching rings and bearings be more reliable than the kit posted above? I've read a lot of things online saying the Eagle kits are cheap and you get what you pay for, but have also read just as much positive from people that have used these kits.

The Eagle kit I think is a few hundred $ cheaper, but which one do you guys think would be stronger, more reliable, and/or be the better choice?

Sorry for bringing this back up, I'm just trying my best to do everything the right way.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

Probably not too much different... Scat & Eagle both have their forgings made overseas and then finish them themselves. Pretty much equivalent "quality", odds of success, etc.

Main thing I'd be checking into, is what pistons they use in the Eagle kit; says "hypereutectic"; most of those are going to locate the top the extra .020" "down in the hole" at TDC. Find out EXACTLY what they are (you can just call Eagle, they're in Southaven MS) BY PART NUMBER, and what the ACTUAL compression height is, not the "specified" or "designed to fit" CH.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM

Probably not too much different... Scat & Eagle both have their forgings made overseas and then finish them themselves. Pretty much equivalent "quality", odds of success, etc.

Main thing I'd be checking into, is what pistons they use in the Eagle kit; says "hypereutectic"; most of those are going to locate the top the extra .020" "down in the hole" at TDC. Find out EXACTLY what they are (you can just call Eagle, they're in Southaven MS) BY PART NUMBER, and what the ACTUAL compression height is, not the "specified" or "designed to fit" CH.
I'll call in a little bit. If they're pretty much the same as in quality and all, then I might as well go with the Eagle kit. This kit gives me a little bit higher compression because of the +18 cc. I should get around 9.67:1 with .040" head gasket and zero decked. I'll go ahead and ask about the actual CH.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM

I actually saw a similiar Eagle kit but instead of external balance this one is internal. Everything else is the same except the first said it included a flexplate for a auto tranny and harmonic balancer. One I'm looking at now: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13054L030/

I did some quick research before I call and I think the pistons they're using are these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB135-030/

I'm going to call and confirm the actual CH and ask about a couple other things in the kit.

EDIT: They weren't open today. I'll have to call Tuesday

Last edited by Seanphelps321; 06-17-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM

I took the block to the machine shop today. They're going to clean it, bore it to 4.030", and replace the freeze plugs. I was talking to the guy and when I brought up 9.68:1(rounded up to 9.7:1) CR with the Eagle kit, he said I will have to run on 93 octane gas. Is this true and should I expect to be using 93 when it's all done? He also said that instead of getting the Vortechs with springs handling 0.600" lift, to get some springs closer to my cam. I figured 0.600 would be even better because it allowed for more room, but should I find springs to match better? The cam's lift is at .489/.504.

Still haven't called Eagle yet. Had a lot going on today. Either tomorrow or Thursday. Depending on when I get out of work and if they're open when I'm off. I'll post once I get the info.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 AM

Car: 85 built ta
Engine: 350 vortec roller .040 517 lift how
Transmission: 700r4 2800 stall
Axle/Gears: stock 291 need 411

my springs on my vortec heads leave me .050 clearance with plenty of room cam u use roller came on your block what year is the blocke roller or none the roller cam accelerates fast and youll b happereri have .501 .509 howards oe roller and love everythinh about it got thru skip white but kmj sells them also on ebay i have factory roller motor so im using factory lifters if you want call me later i have verizon 4193576833
Old 06-20-2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by transam357jim
my springs on my vortec heads leave me .050 clearance with plenty of room cam u use roller came on your block what year is the blocke roller or none the roller cam accelerates fast and youll b happereri have .501 .509 howards oe roller and love everythinh about it got thru skip white but kmj sells them also on ebay i have factory roller motor so im using factory lifters if you want call me later i have verizon 4193576833
Well, I have a non roller block so I went with a flat tappet cam.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 PM

you ll have to use the zinc phofuouse additive every other oil change todays oil doesnt have it in it n e now cuz the cats plug up
Old 06-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 383TPI
Transmission: Built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w/3.42 gears

hey i have comp cams retro fit roller lifters and pushrods for sale in the classified section if you wanted to go roller, brand new in the box if you interested
Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Alright. I just got off the phone with Eagle. The actual compression height is 1.433" on the pistons, the wrist pins weigh in at 145g, and the kit doesn't come with a flywheel or damper(didn't need either anyway). So when I take the it to get balanced, I'll have them deck it to 9.008". Should I get lighter wrist pins than the 145g ones that come with the kit?

EDIT: I think I might just stick to these wrist pins since they come with the kit. I'd rather have wrist pins that hold up to the task than going to light.

Last edited by Seanphelps321; 06-21-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Personally I'd get the lighter pins... used to be one of the ways I'd always somehow manage to make just a little more power than "the other guys", AND get better reliability at the same time.

As far as the springs, the limit to the valve lift on Vortec heads, isn't "the springs"; it's the bottom of the retainer crashing into the top of the valve guide. Doesn't matter what springs you use if the retainers are the same thickness. Stock, there's clearance for somewhere around .460" - .480" of lift before bad things start happening (the seals get wiped out first...). It's easy enough to check; you just dummy the heads up with some real light springs from Lowe's or some such and the seals you want to use, and see how far you can push em down before they hit something. Not rocket science. You want .050" or so of clearance between the bottom of the retainer and the top of the seals if you can get it. The reason beehive springs give more clearance, isn't "the springs" as such; it's because the retainers are thinner.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 629 Likes on 530 Posts

Do you think so?
While I don't really care much for either manufacturer, Scat has been building OEM crankshafts for a couple of decades (or so I understand).
It appears to me that Eagle is a somewhat lesser brand, more towards the economy end of the scale. Further to that, I don't see any Cup cars running an Eagle crank, but they certainly use Scat.
The only reason I'm bringing this up is that soon I'LL have to decide on a new crank and rods. I've been pouring over catalogs and spec sheets, reading tech artciles and following various builds trying get a better understanding.
I suppose in fairness to Eagle, it probably safe to say that building an engine that's a step above your typical entry level piece would be just the same with either manufacturer as you've stated. We all know you can build a 400hp drag engine with a OEM cast crank and rods and survive for many many miles.
For the record, this isn't meant to anger or insult anyone (including the OP). It IS meant to be a little provacative as I'm interested to hear what anyone has to say.
While it may not matter here, my spec calls for an engine that'll survive sustained WOT, not just the 12 second 1/4 mile blast where the engine is at peak RPM for only a few seconds.

Last edited by skinny z; 06-21-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Personally I'd get the lighter pins... used to be one of the ways I'd always somehow manage to make just a little more power than "the other guys", AND get better reliability at the same time.

As far as the springs, the limit to the valve lift on Vortec heads, isn't "the springs"; it's the bottom of the retainer crashing into the top of the valve guide. Doesn't matter what springs you use if the retainers are the same thickness. Stock, there's clearance for somewhere around .460" - .480" of lift before bad things start happening (the seals get wiped out first...). It's easy enough to check; you just dummy the heads up with some real light springs from Lowe's or some such and the seals you want to use, and see how far you can push em down before they hit something. Not rocket science. You want .050" or so of clearance between the bottom of the retainer and the top of the seals if you can get it. The reason beehive springs give more clearance, isn't "the springs" as such; it's because the retainers are thinner.
Would these pins http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-0927X216K/ fit these pistons http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB135-030/. Those are the pistons in the kit. I ask that because wrist pin length confuses me. Should I maybe even go lighter, say 80-90g?

And about the heads, I think I understand. If I'm reading the specs and research correctly, I should end up with like .096 clearance. I got that from the Scoggin-Dickey vortechs and the lunati 60103 cam I listed. Should I look for vortechs assembled to something more like .550 lift or is that much clearance acceptable?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Supreme Member

The length is fine. Could stand to be longer but perfectly OK. OTOH, making em shorter is one sure-fire way to make em lighter, without losing much strength.

They're at least as durable as the heavier ones... otherwise, wouldn't make much sense to put them in "high-perf" motors; eh?

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to shave more weight off; it's kind of like the "knee of the curve", where those first 40ish grams are pretty cheeep (say, $.12 per gram, if $5 loses you 40 grams); but the next 20 are $1 a gram OR MORE. Hmmmmmm..... sounds like the "sweet spot" to me.

I don't recall which heads you are looking at, at the moment; but I seem to recall that they're set up for up to .550" lift. So they should be fine with the 60103 which is just a bit over .500". Don't forget you'll lose a little bit if any parts flex; rockers, push rods, etc.; and since the rocker moves around the circumference of a circle and not in a straight line, that costs a little bit of lift off of "theoretical" as well. So I think they'll be fine.

As far as Eagle vs Scat, what the Cup guys use has little to no bearing on the subject at hand. Might if he was going Cup racing, but ..... At this price/performance point (hot street, light sportsman strip) they're largely equivalent.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:50 PM

The length is fine. Could stand to be longer but perfectly OK. OTOH, making em shorter is one sure-fire way to make em lighter, without losing much strength.

They're at least as durable as the heavier ones... otherwise, wouldn't make much sense to put them in "high-perf" motors; eh?

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to shave more weight off; it's kind of like the "knee of the curve", where those first 40ish grams are pretty cheeep (say, $.12 per gram, if $5 loses you 40 grams); but the next 20 are $1 a gram OR MORE. Hmmmmmm..... sounds like the "sweet spot" to me.

I don't recall which heads you are looking at, at the moment; but I seem to recall that they're set up for up to .550" lift. So they should be fine with the 60103 which is just a bit over .500". Don't forget you'll lose a little bit if any parts flex; rockers, push rods, etc.; and since the rocker moves around the circumference of a circle and not in a straight line, that costs a little bit of lift off of "theoretical" as well. So I think they'll be fine.

As far as Eagle vs Scat, what the Cup guys use has little to no bearing on the subject at hand. Might if he was going Cup racing, but ..... At this price/performance point (hot street, light sportsman strip) they're largely equivalent.
Alright. I'll go with the lighter pins then.

These are the heads:
http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...nter/sd8060ra2
Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

OK yeah, I kinda thought that's what I remembered... in which case, they're set up great for that cam.

The zinc additive was mentioned, that's good advice... absolutely necessary in this day and time. Pour about half of a bottle of GM EOS or something similar all over the cam before putting the intake on and add the rest to the oil. When starting up the engine the 1st time, make ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CERTAIN that it's ready to run THE FIRST INSTANT YOU HIT THE KEY... no extended cranking, no idling below 1200 RPM or thereabouts for the first 15 minutes or so of it's life, it needs to be READY to FIRE UP and BACK DOWN THE DRIVEWAY and TEST DRIVE ON THE FREEWAY without any hesitation reservation or equivocation the first time you touch the key. But, you'll get to all that, it's a ways off yet.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM

OK yeah, I kinda thought that's what I remembered... in which case, they're set up great for that cam.

The zinc additive was mentioned, that's good advice... absolutely necessary in this day and time. Pour about half of a bottle of GM EOS or something similar all over the cam before putting the intake on and add the rest to the oil. When starting up the engine the 1st time, make ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CERTAIN that it's ready to run THE FIRST INSTANT YOU HIT THE KEY... no extended cranking, no idling below 1200 RPM or thereabouts for the first 15 minutes or so of it's life, it needs to be READY to FIRE UP and BACK DOWN THE DRIVEWAY and TEST DRIVE ON THE FREEWAY without any hesitation reservation or equivocation the first time you touch the key. But, you'll get to all that, it's a ways off yet.
Ok. That's what I thought. Maybe the guy at the shop was just saying I have a lot of extra room. And yes, I've read a lot already about that additive and I expect to take full care with that.

Also, I was told that the 9.68:1 CR will have me using 93 gas. To me, this just sounds wrong. I've looked this up a couple of times since the guy said that and I should be able to run 87 with that CR, correct?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM

i run 93 or 94 its just cheap insurance agaist spark knock when u hear its itsalredi doin damange
Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM

i run 93 or 94 its just cheap insurance agaist spark knock when u hear its itsalredi doin damange
Insurance is nice, but also pretty pricey. If it doesn't knock with 87, then I'd rather run that. I'll run 93 if I have too, but just wondering. Didn't think 9.7:1 was really that much. I figured you'd start needing higher gas at around 10.5:1. But I have no real experience with more performance engines.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

One of the most important properties of fuel is its "heat content"... basically, energy per unit of fuel (volume, mass, whatever)

Turns out, lower octane gas has a higher heat content; and therefore, produces more power per gallon, i.e. .... more power, and better mileage.

This comes with a big IF: namely, AS LONG AS there is no spark knock. Knock reduces the power output on its own, and in a car with a knock sensor, causes the ECM to AGGRESSIVELY pull out timing, which causes everything about how it runs to suffer.

Moral of the story: run only the octane "rating" you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, but NO HIGHER. Any extra money you pay to get higher octane that you don't need, is "muda". Waste. Voluntarily DONATING YOUR MONEY to the oil companies in return for NOTHING, or worse, possibly even reducing your engine's efficiency.

If you haven't already looked up that word on Wikipedia or something and FULLY ABSORBED the concept, you really should.

No way to know what your fuel requirement is, until it's running. Depends on how many sharp edges there are in the chamber, carb tuning, dynamic compression (a function of the cam as much as the pistons and heads), and about a million other factors. Just gotta experiment after it's running.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 AM

if engine temp r near 160 the vortec heads r less prone to pre ignition i run timing a 30 total n only had a problem on real hot days when temp is near 95 i run a 160 stat dual fans most times i run every othe tank 03 dont get me wrong i do put 87 in if im low on cash i just dont jump on it alot
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM

One of the most important properties of fuel is its "heat content"... basically, energy per unit of fuel (volume, mass, whatever)

Turns out, lower octane gas has a higher heat content; and therefore, produces more power per gallon, i.e. .... more power, and better mileage.

This comes with a big IF: namely, AS LONG AS there is no spark knock. Knock reduces the power output on its own, and in a car with a knock sensor, causes the ECM to AGGRESSIVELY pull out timing, which causes everything about how it runs to suffer.

Moral of the story: run only the octane "rating" you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, but NO HIGHER. Any extra money you pay to get higher octane that you don't need, is "muda". Waste. Voluntarily DONATING YOUR MONEY to the oil companies in return for NOTHING, or worse, possibly even reducing your engine's efficiency.

If you haven't already looked up that word on Wikipedia or something and FULLY ABSORBED the concept, you really should.

No way to know what your fuel requirement is, until it's running. Depends on how many sharp edges there are in the chamber, carb tuning, dynamic compression (a function of the cam as much as the pistons and heads), and about a million other factors. Just gotta experiment after it's running.
Hmm. I didn't know that. So when it's running I'll experiement with which is the better fuel. Is there a better fuel to start with the experimenting? Like start it on 89 and if there's no knocking try 87.

Just an update, here's the list:
Rotating assy- 3.750" stroke, 1 pce RMS, +18cc inverse dome pistons 1.433" CH, 5.7" rods
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13054L030/
Wrist pins- 0.927" diameter, 2.5" length, steel, 102g
Cam and lifters- hyd flat tappet, dur @ 050" 227/233, adv dur 268/276, lift .489/.504, 110 Lsa
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60103LK/
Heads- Vortechs capable to 0.600" lift, 64 cc, 1.94" in/1.5" ex valves
http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-d...nter/sd8060ra2
Intake- Edelbrock performer RPM air gap, vortech fit, square bore
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7516/
Carb- Holley 4150 DP, mech secondary, 650 cfm, square bore
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-4777C/
Head gasket: Multi layer steel, .040" thick, 4.060" bore
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CGT-C5245-040/
Oil Pump: Melling M-55, with Mr Gasket high pressure oil pump spring, Melling IS-55E driveshaft, and Melling 55-S1 pickup.
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Flywheel: stock T56
Rear end: 3.73 posi 12 bolt
Damper: stock 350
Distributor: ???
Headers/exhaust:??? undecided

Have used many CR calculators to be sure and I consistantly get 9.67-9.68:1 CR.

EDIT: And yes, I did read up on "Muda". Very neat concept and interesting.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:56 PM

if engine temp r near 160 the vortec heads r less prone to pre ignition i run timing a 30 total n only had a problem on real hot days when temp is near 95 i run a 160 stat dual fans most times i run every othe tank 03 dont get me wrong i do put 87 in if im low on cash i just dont jump on it alot
Alright. I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably leave off the peddle to keep the secondaries closed most of the time. Only going all the way when needed.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:19 PM

I just got a call from the machinist and he said after boring it .030" over there was still a problem on the lip of the #2 cylinder. He said .040" might work but .060" would probably be safer. So it looks like this enigne is going to be a 388. I'll go ahead and change some things around in what I'm getting.

There's basically the same kit as I had above but in the 4.060" bore:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-B13054L060/

I went ahead and did another CR calc and with the new bore, I'd get 9.78:1. Would that be pushing it compared to 9.68?

Last edited by Seanphelps321; 06-25-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Alright. Got the block back today. It was hot tanked, magnafluxed, bored out, cam bearing installed, surface had to be ground, new freeze plugs installed, and clearanced. Forget about the .060" bore. A .040" bore fixed the impurity in the #2 cylinder. So it'll be a 385(wow, original idea was 350, then 383, then 388, now 385. Sorry. lol).

My machinist ground the deck down because it was in bad shape. He said he ground 0.015" off. So the deck should be at 9.010". The kit will bring me around 9.008". I had forgot to tell him to zero deck it. With this 0.002" deck clearance, I get around 9.68:1 CR again. Zero decked would be 9.72:1. Not much of a difference, but is there a reason I should shave off anymore or will that be ok?

BTW: New pics of the block...
There's bigger pics of these in my album.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

Better .040 than .060.
Are you doing the assembly?
Old 06-30-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by skinny z
Better .040 than .060.
Are you doing the assembly?
I agree. I was trying to stay only up to .030. And I will be taking the rot assy and the block to get balanced, this is the first time I've had to take an engine somewhere to be balanced so I don't know if they assemble that when they do it. I will for sure be assembling everything else.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:01 AM

YHEY WEIGH EACH END OF RORS PISTONS AND MAKE IT THE SAME THEM THEY FIND THE WEIGHT OF 1 COMPLETE ROD N PISTON THEN PUT WEIGHTS ON CRANK N SPIN FAST THEN EITHER ADD WEIGHT OR DRILL AWAY I DID EVERYTHIMG BUT CRANK IT SAVED ME 300 HE CHARGE 150 TO BALANCE CRANK
Old 06-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

I agree. I was trying to stay only up to .030. And I will be taking the rot assy and the block to get balanced, this is the first time I've had to take an engine somewhere to be balanced so I don't know if they assemble that when they do it. I will for sure be assembling everything else.
Assembly would (typically) be extra on top of the balance job.
I've assembled a few short blocks in my time and I've learned that for a performance oriented application, I'll leave it to the pros. Having a full compliment of tools, particularly measuring tools (and a bolt stretch gauge) ensures that ALL the clearences are spot on. Different specs for different applications. Less bearing clearence for a daily driver, more for a race application, etc.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Assembly would (typically) be extra on top of the balance job.
I've assembled a few short blocks in my time and I've learned that for a performance oriented application, I'll leave it to the pros. Having a full compliment of tools, particularly measuring tools (and a bolt stretch gauge) ensures that ALL the clearences are spot on. Different specs for different applications. Less bearing clearence for a daily driver, more for a race application, etc.
That makes sense. I've assembled a couple engines, but I know mechanics can do it better for sure. About how much more would it be for them to assemble it on top of balancing?
Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Coupla hours... probably in the $200 - 300 kind of range for the short block.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

That makes sense. I've assembled a couple engines, but I know mechanics can do it better for sure. About how much more would it be for them to assemble it on top of balancing?
That's difficult to say. Every shop has a rate schedule.
For what it's worth, I had a .020" overbore, crank cut .010 and .010 and aseembled with all parts included (pistons, rings, rod and main bearings and new rod nuts) for $1400. This a performance shop (not a re and re shop) so all parts were oriented that way including assembly. I had a balance job done in a previous rebuild but I don't have the pricing handy.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

Coupla hours... probably in the $200 - 300 kind of range for the short block.
That's well worth the investment.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Ok. Just curious. It sounds like a good investment. But before I do all of that, should I go ahead and shave off the 0.002" off the decks? Since the plan was to zero deck it, it would need to be at 9.008" with what I'm planning to buy. Right now it's at 9.010" from the resurfacing. I'm tempted to just leave it at that since it's such a small area.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Ok. Just curious. It sounds like a good investment. But before I do all of that, should I go ahead and shave off the 0.002" off the decks? Since the plan was to zero deck it, it would need to be at 9.008" with what I'm planning to buy. Right now it's at 9.010" from the resurfacing. I'm tempted to just leave it at that since it's such a small area.
You would be hard pressed to measure a hp gain with the small amout of compression increase you would see. Again speaking only from my own experience, I've done more with less so I would say save your money and use for something else. Spend some time assuring that the cam is dialed in correctly. Maybe use your savings to purchase a dial indicator and degee wheel (that's my assumption that you don't already have these tools).
That's just my opinion mind you however it's a fair bet that others will agree.
Rule of thumb for a build such as ours is that a FULL point in compression is worth about a 4% in hp increase.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM

You would be hard pressed to measure a hp gain with the small amout of compression increase you would see. Again speaking only from my own experience, I've done more with less so I would say save your money and use for something else. Spend some time assuring that the cam is dialed in correctly. Maybe use your savings to purchase a dial indicator and degee wheel (that's my assumption that you don't already have these tools).
That's just my opinion mind you however it's a fair bet that others will agree.
Rule of thumb for a build such as ours is that a FULL point in compression is worth about a 4% in hp increase.
That's what I thought would be said. I figured that little amount wouldn't be worth it. Thanks
Old 07-01-2012, 01:54 PM

So, some guys on another site actually recommended some different heads because "Those Vortec heads typically are cast with 66-68cc combustion chambers. You are very unlikely to get a set with a true 64cc size." The heads that got recommended are RHS cast iron heads for about the same price.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/R...fo/RHS12317K1/

So what do you guys think about the vortechs vs these RHS heads?

They also put this cam and said that it's band will start more around 2400 in a 383(385) than the 3000 it says for a 350.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-114561/

Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

So what do you guys think about the vortechs vs these RHS heads?
Thoughts?
Interestingly, I just bought these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHS-12410-01/

I got them in bare form and outfitted them Ferrea valves and Comp 26918 Beehive springs.
They are a big step beyond stock Vortecs if the published flow numbers are any indication. The cost to rebuild my high mileage Vortecs wasn't justified when these heads were available. RHS has discontinued the Pro Torker series. Add to that the cost to upgrade the Vortecs with screw in studs, etc, and it makes even more sense to go the aftermarket route.
As for the cam, my feeeling is that a) it's too big and b) it's a flat tappet which I would never use again. But to each his own.

Last edited by skinny z; 07-01-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:30 PM

Interestingly, I just bought these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RHS-12410-01/

I got them in bare form and outfitted them Ferrea valves and Comp 26918 Beehive springs.
They are a big step beyond stock Vortecs if the published flow numbers are any indication. The cost to rebuild my high mileage Vortecs wasn't justified when these heads were available. RHS has discontinued the Pro Torker series. Add to that the cost to upgrade the Vortecs with screw in studs, etc, and it makes even more sense to go the aftermarket route.
As for the cam, my feeeling is that a) it's too big and b) it's a flat tappet which I would never use again. But to each his own.
Alright. I know the vortechs are good heads, but if the RHS's are that much better and pretty much the same price, I might go with those. Both the pairs I'm looking at are assembled already.

I'm thinking of staying with the Lunati 60103. I actually already have it from a good deal. But I think I had this picked out before I decided to go with stroking it out. I know this is a good cam, but will it be adequate for a 385? The 60103 has 268int/276exh adv dur, 227int/233exh .050 dur, and 489int/504exh lift. Would something with say, 285int/289exh adv dur, 231int/235exh .050 dur, and 480int/488exh lift be better suited to a stroker? I used a Howards cam as an example.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 AM

if there close to same price id use the rhs but as long as the spring hieght is ok for the cam there close you can get aluminun heads for 650 complete my buddy got some an there good also i only had 400 so i got the vortecs every1 says they work good ive got good hp n tq im happy
Old 07-02-2012, 04:53 AM

ive got a howards roller it 292 501 ex 509 intake n i like it better then the thumper i had
Old 07-02-2012, 03:22 PM

if there close to same price id use the rhs but as long as the spring hieght is ok for the cam there close you can get aluminun heads for 650 complete my buddy got some an there good also i only had 400 so i got the vortecs every1 says they work good ive got good hp n tq im happy
The assembled pair I'm looking at says they're good to .560" lift.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Supreme Member

You should zero-deck it, regardless of "compression"... that's only one part of the reason for doing that. The main reason is to get the "quench" or "squish" right: such that the piston gets to within .040" or so of the head "deck" surface (the part that's not the chamber), which promotes better burning without detonation, by causing the cyl contents to be violently shot toward the center just at the moment of truth, instead of staying all spread out all over the whole volume. Allows SUBSTANTIALLY more aggressive tuning.

Most people who have measured Vortec heads seem to report about 62cc as the typical chamber volume.

That Crane is WAY too much cam for comfortable street driving.

Personally I'd stick with the 60103.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

You should zero-deck it, regardless of "compression"... that's only one part of the reason for doing that. The main reason is to get the "quench" or "squish" right: such that the piston gets to within .040" or so of the head "deck" surface .

Not to split hairs but can't the .040" quench be achieved via a combination of piston deck height and head gaskets?
In my case, and I haven't gone beyond the short block on this 353, the block has been decked so the piston is .015" in the hole. Combined with my .025" gasket the result is .040".
This isn't a challenge or anything like that. I'm trying to be respectful. I'd like to know the reasoning behind a zero deck. I've seen many builds that do it. Even one that left the piston .005" OUT of the hole to get the quench to .035". Some magazine build that was trying prove a point or something.
Having said that, I have an eye on a Dart block and forged rotating assembly and can have it built with any deck height as it hasn't seen the machine shop yet. If the zero deck is the way to go, then I'll do it. What I don't like is that doesn't leave anything for the next go around should it need it.
I've never heard an explanation.

Last edited by skinny z; 07-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help matching cam, heads, intake, etc for 350/383 build