Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

help with a hesitating/bogging engine while driving or idling

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am 5.0L TPI
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 5 speed manual
help with a hesitating/bogging engine while driving or idling

Hello everyone! I've had lot's of problems with my car over the years and 99% of them I have been able to fix myself with the help of all you people and I appreciate it sooooo much. After years of tinkering I finally got my TA (88 tpi/305) running perfectly. Unfortunately my dumb-*** went and got myself a DUI and I had to leave the car sitting for almost a year. I finally am able to drive it now however when I started it and let it idle it seemed fine. Then I realized it is real shaky when it idles. I mean the car shakes alot more then it did almost like it is missing but i'm pretty sure it isn't missing. Any I reved it up a few times and it seemed to rev fine. Backed it down the driveway put it in gear and as soon as i gave it gas it bogged down and died. I was moving to a new home so I had no choice but to start her up and try to make it the five blocks to my new place. So I drove it I had to rev it up to 3-4000 rpm and drive it kept trying to die and i would put in the clutch until the engine revved up and then went another short distance till i got here. I know fuel filters can go bad while sitting too much so I replaced that and put in fresh gas with some injector/fuel system cleaner and it runs alot better. It is actually driveable but as you are driving it bucks and jolts forward....actually i believe it suddenly looses power and rps for about a second then catches up with itself and I get a burst of speed. So I drove it around a bit thinking it might be crap in the fuel or bad old fuel wich is now mixed with the new fuel - oops maybe. I'm not sure. But I have noticed something I hadn't noticed before. If I park it and leave it in nuetral and hold down the gas pedal at around 3000 rpm about every 5 seconds it drops about 500 rpms for a second and it's pretty consistent. Anyone have ideas? I am going to check the TPS but I don't believe that problem would be intermittent wouldn't it be at a certain range or point on the tps rotation?. I don't think it's the timing because it would just be off wouldn't it. What would cause this and make it so timed out? Thanks for any help. Hope to hear from someone soon!