Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

The infamous oil sending unit leak??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The infamous oil sending unit leak??

So started hunting down a leak on my car today. I jacked her up and got looking. I had Oil all over the inspection cover. I took it off but everything under there was dry with the exception of the bottom of the cover. Oil Pan gasket looks awesome as does tranny fluid gasket. With the inspection cover dropped i realized the leak seems to be trickling from the top of the engine. So I have 2 questions. First there is a hole in my block above the oil filter... does a sensor go here or is it just a mounting hole?? secondly my Oil sending unit doesnt seem flush on the block, should it be?? I know the sending unit leaks often but Ive never tinkered with it.

Some background, I dont believe it to be intake as I changed it a while back and rtv the china walls plenty. Leak was also there before i changed the intake manifold. Dont believe it to be valve covers as i changed those and rtv'd them too. Both sides of the block seem to be gunky like its dripping from the sending unit and just rolling down equally on both sides. PO rebuilt the engine and messed pleanty up which i fixed.

I attached pictures for some help. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails The infamous oil sending unit leak??-photo-1.jpg   The infamous oil sending unit leak??-photo.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Re: The infamous oil sending unit leak??

sorry the picture came out sideways.....
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by Bigdeerock
First there is a hole in my block above the oil filter... does a sensor go here or is it just a mounting hole??
On some years the OP switch is mounted there

Originally Posted by Bigdeerock
my Oil sending unit doesnt seem flush on the block, should it be??
No ,
it has a tapered thread ( NPT ) that only screws in so far before it gets tight.
Common leak at sender is the sender unit itself leaking , the metal body is only crimped on to the plastic top with the terminal ;
not so much the threads into the block leaking
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 AM

thanks vette. Swapped the unit out the other day and so far no leaks. Thanks again