Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car Stalled - My fault or something else???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Car Stalled - My fault or something else???

My Car: 1985 Camaro with a 383, HSR & 1227730 ECM.

My car has been running fine, with the exception of a slight hesitation at partial throttle. If you stomp on the gas, there is no hesitation & the car goes. Likewise, the car seems to idle fine, it is only at slight pedal pressure that brought up the hesitation.

About two weeks ago, I did some datalogging & submitted the file to the company I purchased my chip from. They recently sent me the new bin file to burn to the chip.

I drove the car for a bit today, it was normal. I came home, removed the chip, burned the new bin file to it & then reinstalled it.

The car started fine, so I took it for a ride. For the first 3 miles, it was normal, including stopping at some stop signs and traffic lights. Then, I turned onto a major road and the car just quit - everything shut off. It was like you pulled a plug, it just shut down immediately.

I coasted to the side, got some help pushing the car out of traffic and tried to restart it. It cranked fine, but didn't even attempt to start, it would just keep cranking and cranking. After debating what to do for 5-10 minutes, I ended up unplugging the ECM, taking the cover off, removed the whole Memcal & chip assembly, pushed it back in, plugged the ECM back in and tried it - the car fired right up. I put it in gear & drove it back home, no issues on the rest of the way. I got home, shut it off and waited a few minutes and went back out, the car started right up immediately.

On the way home, I paid a bit closer attention to what I'm calling a hesitation. As you are driving, if you hold the pedal steady at say 1,400 RPM, the engine goes from 1,400 down to about 1,100, then back up to 1,400, etc.

So...I have no idea what happened. My guess is that I didn't have the Memcal pushed in all the way, but not sure why it would drive fine for 3 miles and then cut out. I wouldn't think the new tune I installed would be the problem as the car ran fine up to quitting & then after I got it started again. And, I have no idea if this hesitation I'm having could have any effect on this or not. Just looking for some ideas, right now I'm afraid to take the car more than a couple of blocks from my house. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70
Re: Car Stalled - My fault or something else???

My favorite culprit for stuff like this is usually the ignition control module. They tend to fail as they get warm and cause intermittent no-spark problems. They cool off and work again. Not saying that's your problem, but it's possible. Keep it in mind. Next time check for spark.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Not to be dense...where would the ignition control module be on my car? I swapped out the wiring harness and ECM (1227730), as well as have a small HEI distributor (computer controlled) with the external coil...is it still in the distributor?

Last edited by Fronzizzle; 04-22-2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask something
Old 04-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by Fronzizzle
Not to be dense...where would the ignition control module be on my car? I swapped out the wiring harness and ECM (1227730), as well as have a small HEI distributor (computer controlled) with the external coil...is it still in the distributor?
Yes