Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Bad timing chain? Car dying out of nowhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad timing chain? Car dying out of nowhere?

A couple weeks ago my car was stalling and dying continuously, I linked that problem to a bad fuel pump, so I changed it and it's been running great. Today from school I went to do somethings and on my way back home my car died out of nowhere. Previously before it died today it was shifting a little rough, and seemed to have a loss of power. But when it died it started right back up, and I was able to drive it home. I did some research and I read that a bad timing chain could cause the engine to lose power, stall, run rough, shift rough, and if it gets bad enough it could snap and the whole engine could potentially get messed up, so I want to fix it as soon as I can. If anyone has any other ideas of what it could be let me know, its appreciated. Forgot to mention, its a 1991 camaro z28
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 formula ws6
Engine: 355 tpi OBDII
Transmission: 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 with 4th gen brakes
Re: Bad timing chain? Car dying out of nowhere?

I'd look more at fueling issues by what u describe. I have seen a chain break but not restart til I replaced the chain. U could also have said a stretched chain but again, it'd run like crap til replaced. U literally gave the textbook explanation of a Honda or other interference motor in reference to a timing chain. Seriously tho, these cars can be finicky little ***** and most times its some wiring or fueling issue. Check your pressure with a gauge to rule out a faulty cheap pump and then ohm out your injectors with a good multimeter. Anything under 15.5 I just can if there the original junks.