AC compressor blocking valve cover - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

AC compressor blocking valve cover

Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #1  

Car: '84 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08

AC compressor blocking valve cover

Have any of you guys modified the AC compressor mounting position so that you don't have to loosen it out of the way every time you want to remove your driver's side valve cover? (non-serpentine belt set up) (compressor to valve cover interference circled in green)

Also, has anyone remove this bracket support bar without ill effects? (bar circled red in picture) I just want to make sure the AC compressor would still be mounted securely.
Name:  120_zpsd5a5bf4c.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  125.7 KB
RWO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #2  
Supreme Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Re: AC compressor blocking valve cover

Quote:
Have any of you guys modified the AC compressor mounting position so that you don't have to loosen it out of the way every time you want to remove your driver's side valve cover?
Of course not. Not even when I had a solid-lifter cam. What's the big deal about removing it? Doesn't take but a coupla seconds; it's not like it's any kind of an ordeal or anything. And of course, it's not like the VC has to come off real often or anything.

Quote:
Also, has anyone remove this bracket support bar without ill effects?
Sure; comes right off. 2 bolts. No problem. Wouldn't want to run the car like that though, I always put it back before I start the car back up.
sofakingdom is offline   Reply With Quote