Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

my 91 bird won't start, 3.1l

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 firebird
Engine: 3.1l
my 91 bird won't start, 3.1l

a few weeks ago i went to leave for work and made it half way down the driveway before i decided to back up and attempt the other one (wrap-around and snow drifts) anyways, i stopped and shifted to reverse and she died on me. hasn't ran since.

i got a chance to check a few things out and blindly throw some parts at her today.
its now got a new cap, rotor and plug wires. the plugs were changed 2 months ago.
now, i do have spark. and it appears to have fuel pressure, i couldn't get my hands on a tester. but the pump does prime, and the schrader valve does spray fuel at me when i poke it.
i sorta half *** checked the timing and it appears to be just fine. so jumping time is unlikely.
i tested 2 injectors with a noid light. and they are getting signal. #1 and #6
i pulled #6 plug and it appears to be rather dry but pretty damn dirty for being 2 months old.
last weekend i got it to at least backfire at me twice. and here n there it does seem like it wants to fire but never does.
when i spray carb cleaner down her throat nothing happens either. however tonight i have read that these 3.1 motors take quite a bit for that trick to work.
i'm at a complete loss here. and yes i've searched these forums up and down. so none of that "did you use the search" stuff lol
Old 02-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR
Re: my 91 bird won't start, 3.1l

Almost certainly you need to replace the injectors and probably the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm while you're at it. Check the injector resistance but really if they are original replace them. Southbay on this board has a great deal.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:26 PM

yeah but all of them at once.. I mean, I get that they go bad and I should regardless. but all of them at once.. not in any way does it want to even remotely sound like it wants to fire. could I get away with just the regulator diaphragm?? I did get absolute horrible mileage in the weeks before this.. I'm just curious.. its one heck of a pretty penny for all 6 injectors. I can get them for $43/ea. and $75 for the diaphragm. I do get the concept of replacing things while I'm in there.. but I just need it running asap without throwing an insane amount at it... I guess I'm just baffled that all 6 went at the same time.. makes me want to think its something else
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR

One bad injector will stop it running. Don't ever replace just one injector unless you know the others are the same and good. You don't have to pay a bundle Southbay on this board has a great set for a bit over $120. Many (including me) have bought them and are well satisfied. Reason for doing the diaphragm at the same time is you have to take the same stuff off and once it's done you shouldn't need to take it apart again and can concentrate on any other issues. I originally got a set from Rockauto and it ran fine for a few months then one of the injectors died. They replaced it but I never trusted the injectors and got the set from Southbay.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 PM

well, it turns out the fuel pressure tester was failing me. it was a bad seal where it meets the schrader valve. it was preventing proper flow or something. (face palm) put a new seal in and turns out the pump had a bad check valve or whatever it is. wouldn't hold pressure. so i got the new one in via a newly added fuel pump access panel. put a new pump in and a few compression fittings on the cut lines. buttoned her back up and still didn't fire. sounded more like it wanted to but still just not enough. changed the spark plugs as they appeared fairly fouled out.. and she fired right up. ran some 3M fuel injector cleaner and called it good. runs amazingly now.
when you're faced with seemingly costly repairs.. check and recheck. then check again. if i hadn't.... it would have been injectors and a regulator. not saying you were wrong. you did the best you could with what you knew.. and i thank you for that Base91.

Last edited by fordmudr; 02-16-2014 at 03:11 AM.