Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Removing AC; Which line do i check for freon pressure? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end
Removing AC; Which line do i check for freon pressure? Pics

Hey all going to be removing some of the AC plumbing to free up some space for my upcoming header install. In another thread we were talking about removing the lines, but before hand making sure that the freon is empty or close to it. They said to check one of the lines for pressure before, well while smoking the morning cig i was looking to see how the job was going to be and i noticed that there are two locations i can check pressure, which one should i check? both? Just grab a small screw driver rapped around a shop towel or something and lightly tap it right? Also for those of you who did this job ( will be going to a AC delete box later) what did you do with the rest of the lines. Did you just cap? Like in pics below at the two lines close to the radiator, just cap them? Same with the two in the back by the heater box? I notice one line is going down low into the box, should i just cap it up top? Pics shown.
Thanks all

Sorry about last pic, phone was bugging out

Last edited by Ghettobird52; 04-06-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Removing AC; Which line do i check for freon pressure? Pics

doesnt matter loosen anything and freon will come out. Just loosen bolt on back of compressor till lines are loose and it will all come out.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA
doesnt matter loosen anything and freon will come out. Just loosen bolt on back of compressor till lines are loose and it will all come out.
so are you saying dont do it? or just becareful the whole time doing the job?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghettobird52
so are you saying dont do it? or just becareful the whole time doing the job?
just loosen any line, aint like it will explode.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs82TA
just loosen any line, aint like it will explode.
oh lol, everybody was talking like if theres alot of freon left and i open it i could die from inhaling the fumes
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

So after calling abunch of shops alot of them said they cant discharge/evacuate R-12, only r-134. Then the other ones said i would have to wait for a weekday for the service manager to be on for them to see if they can discharge the r-12. BS i guess im just gonna crack a line and see what happens.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 668 Likes on 477 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Not too sure how smart it is to go proclaiming on a public forum that you intend to let a bunch of R12 go into the atmosphere ? Since it might just be illegal to do that , Especially in California ( Isn't EVERYTHING about fixing your own car illegal there ? ) I think I'd wait for the AC shop to properly reclaim it , Yes ?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not too sure how smart it is to go proclaiming on a public forum that you intend to let a bunch of R12 go into the atmosphere ? Since it might just be illegal to do that , Especially in California ( Isn't EVERYTHING about fixing your own car illegal there ? ) I think I'd wait for the AC shop to properly reclaim it , Yes ?
LOL i think the cops have more people to chase over the internet than a guy talking about letting some freon into the air. If the legality issues are the biggest problem than i guess i shouldnt worry. I was just worried about my safety taking it off.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

Your safety ? Only two things matter ;

#1 , Do it outside , as in , not in an enclosed space like a garage ....

#2 , Be VERY careful to not let any of it spray on ya while disconnecting any lines , it will instantly freeze any skin it comes into contact with , and frozen skin is dead skin .....

Oh , and , lets not forget my good ol #3 ;

Don't tell anyone on the internet , in case the world's most efficient EPA officer just happens to live right next door
Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

Your safety ? Only two things matter ;

#1 , Do it outside , as in , not in an enclosed space like a garage ....

#2 , Be VERY careful to not let any of it spray on ya while disconnecting any lines , it will instantly freeze any skin it comes into contact with , and frozen skin is dead skin .....

Oh , and , lets not forget my good ol #3 ;

Don't tell anyone on the internet , in case the world's most efficient EPA officer just happens to live right next door
hahaha! well thanks for looking out appreciate it!!

ok well thanks you think i'll be ok in a long sleeve with gloves on?
Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ghettobird52
hahaha! well thanks for looking out appreciate it!!

ok well thanks you think i'll be ok in a long sleeve with gloves on?

Yea , the gloves and long sleeves will be fine . The biggest thing is to not let any of it get on you in a liquid form , that's what will freeze your skin . You may just find , if the AC don't presently work , that it has all leaked out anyway since there are several O rings that can dry out and let the freon out slowly over time .

Now , if I had to do this , I would likely follow the suggestion of removing the bolt holding the two lines to the back of the compressor and be ready to evade any liquid that may squirt/spray out . I know it may sound dorky or nerdy , but a pair of safety glasses wouldn't hurt , christ , even sunglasses would be preferable to getting an eyefull of freon ....
Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Yea , the gloves and long sleeves will be fine . The biggest thing is to not let any of it get on you in a liquid form , that's what will freeze your skin . You may just find , if the AC don't presently work , that it has all leaked out anyway since there are several O rings that can dry out and let the freon out slowly over time .

Now , if I had to do this , I would likely follow the suggestion of removing the bolt holding the two lines to the back of the compressor and be ready to evade any liquid that may squirt/spray out . I know it may sound dorky or nerdy , but a pair of safety glasses wouldn't hurt , christ , even sunglasses would be preferable to getting an eyefull of freon ....
Thanks i actually am bringing my Snowboarding glasses out LOL I just checked both of those valve stem looking things in one of my pics above and im pushing it down with a small flat head and im not getting any pressure release sound or anything off both of them, i think my AC system is empty or close to it.
looks like im going to proceed with what you just said above! will post with results.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Everything came out with no problems! Well no freon problems. Had a little headache getting that last bolt out that was holding the Silver canister in place, other than that no problems at all! Did what you guys said, started at the bolt behind the pulley and not a single drip came out, didnt smell any fumes either. Glad i did it!! Engine bay is alot roomier, thanks all for advice and info!!

EDIT: Would it be bad to run the car with those 4 ports uncapped? I never use my heater any ways (heater core bypassed)

Last edited by Ghettobird52; 04-07-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Supreme Member

Awesome ! I'm happy to hear that it was already empty , and as to the openings left by disconnecting it and the heater , you are fine and will have no problems . In reality , those 4 lines just lead into 2 small radiators built into the heater box . One gets hot antifreeze and makes heat and the other gets freon and makes cold . If you never plan on using either the heat or the AC ever again you can save a bit of weight by removing the rest of the system , course I wonder about the defrost/defog function ?

Also , If you are removing the entire system , don't forget to block off the vacuum hose coming from the intake manifold that connects to the heat/AC controls in the dashboard . These switches usually leak a considerable amount of vacuum as can be heard by the hiss in the dashboard .
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Also , If you are removing the entire system , don't forget to block off the vacuum hose coming from the intake manifold that connects to the heat/AC controls in the dashboard . These switches usually leak a considerable amount of vacuum as can be heard by the hiss in the dashboard .
Oh damn!!! Where is it?????? Ive been having crazy weird cold start, idle issues,and i when i bypassed my heater core i took off that other plumbing with the little sensor for the heater but i didnt think about it running off vacuum...., but ive been trying to find a vacuum leak!! lol Where is it???????? Thanks once again man!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

What you will find is that there are two small black hard plastic hoses (tubing ?) that come from the heater/AC control switch and run through the firewall into the engine compartment . One of those two small hoses does , as you have found , connect to the heater control valve . The other one will be connected to the intake manifold so as to supply the heat/AC switch with vacuum to be operating that heater control valve and the little doors within the heater box that change from heat to defrost and such . You should disconnect that vacuum supply hose from the manifold and then block off the manifold's port that was supplying the hose with it's vacuum . Naturally , it is the manifold side that needs blocking off to stop the loss of vacuum . The hoses leading from the dashboard can be left open since with no vacuum supply anymore there will be nothing for them to do . If , as well as the heat/AC , you have deleted the cruise control , you can also get rid of the vacuum storage ball that it usually located under the battery tray . It's job was to hold a bit of vacuum to keep the heat/AC from defaulting to defrost when you punch the gas and the manifold vacuum goes low . Some jokingly call this "The Orb of power" cause it's just a round black plastic ball , about the size of a softball , with just one vacuum hose running to it .
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

What you will find is that there are two small black hard plastic hoses (tubing ?) that come from the heater/AC control switch and run through the firewall into the engine compartment . One of those two small hoses does , as you have found , connect to the heater control valve . The other one will be connected to the intake manifold so as to supply the heat/AC switch with vacuum to be operating that heater control valve and the little doors within the heater box that change from heat to defrost and such . You should disconnect that vacuum supply hose from the manifold and then block off the manifold's port that was supplying the hose with it's vacuum . Naturally , it is the manifold side that needs blocking off to stop the loss of vacuum . The hoses leading from the dashboard can be left open since with no vacuum supply anymore there will be nothing for them to do . If , as well as the heat/AC , you have deleted the cruise control , you can also get rid of the vacuum storage ball that it usually located under the battery tray . It's job was to hold a bit of vacuum to keep the heat/AC from defaulting to defrost when you punch the gas and the manifold vacuum goes low . Some jokingly call this "The Orb of power" cause it's just a round black plastic ball , about the size of a softball , with just one vacuum hose running to it .
Ok i have already found one of those hard lines, The one as you noted, came out of the wiring harness on passenger side by fire wall , next to ac/heater box. It was to the Heater valve thingy. I cannot find the other line. Any pics or more detailed explanation would help. Cannot find the 'storage vacuum ball' lol. both of these items are probably right in front of my nose, i just cant see them. it always happens this way lol.

And as you stated it isnt the wire coming from the heater valve that is operated by vacuum it is the other line. Where does it come from? should it be coming from the same wiring harness location? Also where is it grabbing vacuum off the intake? or is not off the intake? I cant see any other locations it could be pulling vacuum. I see the port for cruise control, port for brake booster, and the rest of my vacuum lines come off the Throttle body ( MAP,EGR,PCV, smog canister, blocked off port for stock air cleaner)

Last edited by Ghettobird52; 04-10-2014 at 01:13 PM.