Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Need some advice...

So I had been tossing around the idea of selling my truck to get out from under the payment and ended up selling it and pocketing $2200 (after I paid it off) and a supposed to be running low mile (63k) LS1 pull out. The engine is supposed to come with all the accessories, harness, and ecu.

The deal was I would get the motor when I received the title from the DMV. Well the title showed up within a few days, was turned over to the new owner on Thursday, and the engine was supposed to be delivered the following Tuesday. Well Tuesday came along and the guy says that the motor wont turn over (by hand) and that he is going to look into it. Get a message from him yesterday stating that the motor is at his buddy's shop and he will let me know what he finds out.

So how long do I wait before really pressing the issue?
Old 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355 AFR-195 FIRST Fuel Inj.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: ??
Re: Need some advice...

That's a personal call, but I would suggest letting him know that you'll be calling either once or twice a week for an update. He won't mind if he understands the position you're in.....you guys made a deal, you fulfilled your end but he has yet to fulfill his.

I bought a motor off a local guy a few years ago on eBay. After I bought it, he said he had to pull it out of his truck. I'd call him twice a week to get a status update. Three weeks later, I had my motor. Turned out the guy was just a real lay back dude....I had to wait longer than expected, but he ended up doing some work on that motor for me for free.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: Need some advice...

Oddly enough I just talked to him tonight. Bad news is that the motor has two spun bearings so it obviously isnt going to run. He wanted options so I gave him a few. Rebuild, replace with another, pay me the value of what one is going for, or I could just give him his cash back and I would take the truck back.

He decided to find me another motor so I will be checking in with him periodically to see how everything is progressing. Hopefully I can have a motor in less then a month but only time will tell.