Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Got the car, now to get it running

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28 / 08 Caliber SRT4
Engine: Tired 305 that wheezes a lot
Transmission: 700R4
Got the car, now to get it running

Hello TGO!

Loads of good information you guys got here, I've recently gotten my fathers `84 Z28 back after 10 years and I am diving right in to get it back on the road. Currently, the car has major engine issues though.

I was wanting to rebuild the current 305 but... it overheats, has milky oil (A lot of it!), bronze liquid in heads (unsure what this is), a carb that is in pieces, and cracked cylinder heads(cracked years ago, nobody has replaced em).

Seems like it may be in my best interest to start with another engine and build upon it instead. I was thinking about a crate motor, but there are other places that I want to spend money too. New radiator, carb, brakes, lights, and tires. So, I've been looking in two other places.

I've ran across a Engine on CL but I am unsure if it would work for the car I have. I have also seen that car-parts.com may be another option to obtain another 305 and was wondering if anyone had reviews they could share on it.

Really leaning towards the Car-parts as they are just listing motors available from local salvage yards. Unsure if the salvage yards really test the motors they pull though and the salvage yard in my city sells nothing but junk so I'm skeptical.

The engine I've seen on CL may be good, but I think we all know that CL is a hit or miss. Probably take a more informed person with em to check it if I decide to go that way.

I briefly considered busting down the current motor to check the pistons, if they were okay I was thinking a gasket set, rebuilt heads/carb but unsure if that would be okay without touching the lower end of the motor.

So, I have loads of options for a motor. I wont be needing 400 HP, just something that is peppy and has a nice growl to it. Anybody got any insight on where they would start?

Last edited by xclypto; 08-08-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Got the car, now to get it running

Welcome! If you list where you are at, members will know how close they are to your location in finding/helping you out. Complete your profile.

Many members on here have complete to partout cars to help you out. Go to the classified section on here. I've seen MANY complete engines and tranny combos for sale as of yesterday.

Check it out!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 3.73

If I was in the market for a pre-86 carbed small block engine and a tight budget I would consider the 10067353 engine from gm.
Back when I worked at the local Chevy dealer they sold tons of those things. Was many moons ago but I think they usually sold for like 1200 or so. Brand new engine no reman 3 yr/36k warranty. Think out of the crate hp was 160-180 but with nice headers, carb and such up well in the 200's hp was simple.
Might not be even close with the plans you have in store, but it's an option. Good luck with your resurrection, I've been doing the same on an 89 iroc.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 AM

Ah, I did not noticed the classified section. Sadly, where I am located there isnt any recent engine posts. Profile has been updated too!

Yes Hicks, I originally wanted to go that route! The crate is 1500, couldn't find it lower than that. However, other areas of the car need attention too and I cant have a single crate eating up the majority of my funds.

Last edited by xclypto; 08-08-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 723 Likes on 492 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

If youre going carb id look into a GM Goodwrench 350. They have a 260hp and 290 hp version which starts out at around $1500 brand new! Not rebuilt. Its hard to rebuild an engine for this price and it will have much more pep than your old 305. You can find them in summit,jegs, or Scoggin Dickey. If you wanted a lil more power id buy the vortec version for around $2100 rated at 255hp. But dont be fooled by that rating. Slide a better cam and a good carb setup in it and you will have well in excess of 300hp. ANY of these engines are an upgrade and a great deal.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by xclypto
Ah, I did not noticed the classified section. Sadly, where I am located there isnt any recent engine posts. Profile has been updated too!

Yes Hicks, I originally wanted to go that route! The crate is 1500, couldn't find it lower than that. However, other areas of the car need attention too and I cant have a single crate eating up the majority of my funds.
your local machine shop could re build your heads, or they may have a set for cheap. you could strip the engine down to the bare block (assuming you have the skills and facilitys). then have the block tanked and checked for cracks, check to see if you need to bore it to the next oversize ect. you can probably build it for around $1200. but that's assuming you can re use the crank and rods. a new stock cam and lifters can be had for not too much. a good timing set too. cast flat top pistons and standard issue iron piston rings are in expensive as well. cam,crank and rod bearing sets are cheap too. I know you want to spend your money on other things for it ,BUT if it don't run reliably . all those other things really don't matter much, do they?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:12 PM

Local shop stated that they would start @ 2000 for the rebuild0 and said that was only a rough estimate that could shoot up in price.

I found a low mileage 305 @ a salvage yard for 650 so I am sort of thinking about it pretty hard.

Although, you guys seem pretty set on the GM Goodwrench 350 motor as well. This has me curious in that if I went this route, what would I need to buy to make it compatible with my 84 Z28? Would it be a simple plug and play with the accessories, balancer, intake, flexplate, ectera?
Old 08-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by xclypto
Local shop stated that they would start @ 2000 for the rebuild0 and said that was only a rough estimate that could shoot up in price.

I found a low mileage 305 @ a salvage yard for 650 so I am sort of thinking about it pretty hard.

Although, you guys seem pretty set on the GM Goodwrench 350 motor as well. This has me curious in that if I went this route, what would I need to buy to make it compatible with my 84 Z28? Would it be a simple plug and play with the accessories, balancer, intake, flexplate, ectera?
$650 is a good price,IF they will warranty it.i would get it.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:44 AM

That's not terrible price on used engine. But warranty is key to that. Low miles to them may mean 150k or whatever.
As far as a new crate engine. Everything should bolt right over. I would slap on a new water pump and such instead of reusing.
That's what makes the gen 1small block such a wonderful thing

Last edited by BHicks; 08-09-2014 at 07:09 AM. Reason: ..
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by BHicks
That's not terrible price on used engine. But warranty is key to that. Low miles to them may mean 150k or whatever.
As far as a new crate engine. Everything should bolt right over. I would slap on a new water pump and such instead of reusing.
That's what makes the gen 1small block such a wonderful thing
Quick question, would I have to have the crate delivered to a business or will they deliver to your house? Anybody know?

As for the warranty, they were offering 90 days.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 PM

Far as a crate engine delivered, Ive never ordered 1 myself but i would think it would to to a freight dock closest to you and you pick up from there. Or check with your local chevy dealer, same deal just pick up from them.
Thats not bad warranty, if its gonna break it should do so within 90 days. Bad thing is all the time wasted. least with a new engine you know its gonna be fine.
I guess it depends on your intentions. Is this going to be a daily driver? and only mode of transportation for a while? If so I would lean towards the new engine if possible.
If just a play toy to enjoy and tinker with then the salvage engine aint a bad plan at least if i was in those shoes.