Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil leak

Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Oil leak

So I've had an oil leak since I got the car, but haven't had much to diagnose it (or drive it for that matter). Here's the specifics:

-Took it to the shop when I first bought it to give it a once over and get it up on the rack. They said it had a rear main seal leak
-It left a good size puddle on the floor (this was last november)
-Doing some research and see that sometimes it's not the RMS, but instead might be the distributor o-ring that's leaking
-Felt under the distributor last night and it's definitely got some oil all over that general area
-It hasn't lost much more oil besides that initial time (which was after it was driven for 100 miles to be delivered to me). The dipstick is not original and just has 1 line on it (no crosshatch) and when I checked it yesterday it's still past the line.
-Still leaks but only a small amount after I drive it (I only drive it in town for short trips)
-I also noticed some oil on the passenger side on the spark plugs, some wiring, etc...
-The exhaust pipe is COVERED in oil from that initial 100 mile trip I assume. There's just a lot of oil everywhere (need to get time to clean it all off and see what happens)

So I guess I have a couple questions...
1.Does it sound like RMS or o-ring? (or both?)
2.Is it possible there's a leak on the head gasket on the passenger side too?
3.Any other comments/thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak-oil-leak-1-.jpg   Oil leak-oil-leak-2-.jpg   Oil leak-oil-leak-3-.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Oil leak

Looks like you have the classic Missing Bolt Mystery Small Block Chevy Oil Leak.

Look at the front of your block. See if, when the smog pump (AIR system) was hacked off of your car as part of the header install, they left this bolt hole empty.

If there's no bolt there, look in the hole, and see if you can see the crankshaft. (some motors you can) Then put a 3/8"-16 x ¾" bolt there, with a drop of sealer on the threads.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Looks like you have the classic Missing Bolt Mystery Small Block Chevy Oil Leak.

Look at the front of your block. See if, when the smog pump (AIR system) was hacked off of your car as part of the header install, they left this bolt hole empty.

If there's no bolt there, look in the hole, and see if you can see the crankshaft. (some motors you can) Then put a 3/8"-16 x ¾" bolt there, with a drop of sealer on the threads.
I'll try to look this weekend. I did a quick peek last night and there's so much other stuff in the way (AC compressor, etc...) that I don't even know if I can see down there that far without taking stuff off. It did look like the front of the block was dry as a bone though.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1988 Firebird
Transmission: 700r4

I am having the exact same leak been dealing with it for a few months now I drive so much haven't really got to diagnose til last weekend. My 305 was leaking down the rear so I also thought rear main. I pulled flex plate cover and converter and flexplate and what I could see of rear motor was dry. Next step I started the motor ran it hard a few miles to get her leaking and got up on some jackstands while she is running. Follow the oil flow and I found a loose plug above oil filter, just sealed threads and retorqued bolt. She was still leaking from upper rear distributor area. There's really no was to see back there trust me I tried several angles. Best way to see the distributor, oil pressure sensor and rear intake area is turn flash on your phone and shove that phone back there while car is running and move the phone around to make sure you get all angles. Play video and viola! Found the leak. Rear drivers side intake leaking. Gotta pull intake seal that, new distributor gasket and oil sensor and that should take care of it. Another trouble spot back there is an Allen bolt that is basically a plug, you can see it, but if it's loose, you must remove head to reseal that bolt. Atleast that's what I'm told. So check those areas. It just takes time and patience. Until then if u have to drive it carry a few quarts of oil with you always.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

If you want to find any and all leaks they make a additive for that.
You put it in the oil and it will glow in the dark using a small UV Flashlight.

They sell the kits on line or at some Auto Parts stores.

I recently used a kit made for coolant leaks and "finally" found the small leak I have been looking for.

Great stuff.....