Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Air vents smoking

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L 6cyl
Air vents smoking

I have a 91 Firebird 3.1L, and when I turn my A/C on smoke starts to come through the air vents after a few minutes. Im not really sure where to start to try looking to fix this problem. I live in Las Vegas and summer is coming up really fast. Im hoping some of you will have some suggestions so I can get this fixed before the 115 degree temps get here. Please help
Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Air vents smoking

What does the smoke smell like? Burning oil? Electrical?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:08 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts

Is it smoke or vapor?
Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Do you have coolant pooling anywhere?

JamesC
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,275 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

If it has no smell, it's not smoke; it's water vapor.

Most likely cause of that is, the evap is too cold, because the system is low on refrigerant. It's freezing. That happens slowly and incrementally: the first few inches of tubing get too cold because the pressure is too low and the gas is moving too slow, and water freezes out of the air onto it instead of merely condensing to a liquid, and a small section of the evap gets covered with frost; the frost is an EXCELLENT insulator, so that section of tubing gradually quits exchanging heat with the outside world; the next incremental section of tubing gets the supercooled gas at the below freezing temp still, and slowly does the same thing; over a period of time the entire evap gets covered in ice; and pretty soon the whole thing quits working. Sometimes it even blocks the air flow completely off. Good troubleshooting hint is, if you let it run like that for awhile, then turn the AC off but the fan on high, and LOTS of water comes dripping out of the drain and the air coming out of the vents smells REAL wet (oughtta be kinda obvious in Vegas), then that's whats going on.

As said, most common cause (the most common thing that happens to an AC system for that matter, even more common than working right) is that the refrigerant has leaked out and it needs a recharge.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
If it has no smell, it's not smoke; it's water vapor.

Most likely cause of that is, the evap is too cold, because the system is low on refrigerant. It's freezing. That happens slowly and incrementally: the first few inches of tubing get too cold because the pressure is too low and the gas is moving too slow, and water freezes out of the air onto it instead of merely condensing to a liquid, and a small section of the evap gets covered with frost; the frost is an EXCELLENT insulator, so that section of tubing gradually quits exchanging heat with the outside world; the next incremental section of tubing gets the supercooled gas at the below freezing temp still, and slowly does the same thing; over a period of time the entire evap gets covered in ice; and pretty soon the whole thing quits working. Sometimes it even blocks the air flow completely off. Good troubleshooting hint is, if you let it run like that for awhile, then turn the AC off but the fan on high, and LOTS of water comes dripping out of the drain and the air coming out of the vents smells REAL wet (oughtta be kinda obvious in Vegas), then that's whats going on.

As said, most common cause (the most common thing that happens to an AC system for that matter, even more common than working right) is that the refrigerant has leaked out and it needs a recharge.
Thank you, I will check that out.

There is a slight smell to it, and it smells a little like refrigerant.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JamesC
Do you have coolant pooling anywhere?

JamesC
No there is no coolant pooling any where that I can see
Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by paulo57509
What does the smoke smell like? Burning oil? Electrical?
It kinda has a refrigerant smell to it
Old 05-09-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Possible damaged evaporator especially if you only see the "smoke" when the AC is on and has a refrigerant smell.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:15 PM

I know its been a while but heres an update: My A/C was fully charged and there are now cracks or anything broken that I can see. I let my A/C run on high for about 10 min and the vapor stopped coming out of the vents. Vapor no longer comes out of the vents when I turn my A/C. Which is great sense its starting to hit the triple digits now. Thanx everyone for your advice