Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Advice on vacuum pumps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt
Advice on vacuum pumps.

Does anyone have any experience with vacuum pumps? I am in need to get one with pulling only 10 in.hg at idle. I'm looking for the smallest and quietest one available and after reading some reviews, I'm not sure as to what would be a decent one to look at. Some are big and bulky, some vibrate, some don't pull as high as vacuum as they claim. Also any suggestions as to where to mount it would be helpful also.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2002 ws6, 2011 sierra 6.2L 6 speed
Engine: ls1
Transmission: M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42's
Re: Advice on vacuum pumps.

Check out GZ motorsports
Old 06-11-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

I use a GZ Motorsports sportsman pump on my race engine. It's based off the old Ford smog pump. My crankcase is sealed. I have to remove a valve cover to put oil into it. My dipstick has a sparkplug boot over it to seal the end.

I run a 5/8" hose from a port on one of the valve covers to the pump. I use a vacuum regulator tee'd into the inlet side of the pump. If vacuum goes below the setting of the regulator, it will open to allow a bleed. Too much vacuum in the crankcase can cause oiling problems in a wet sump system. I try to limit mine to around 12-13 in hg. At idle, it might pull 1-2 in hg but at idle it doesn't need to pull a lot of vacuum. I think my pulley size has the pump running at half the engine rpm.

Exactly what do you need a vacuum pump for? To pull crankcase vacuum, a belt driven pump works best. If you need it for the brake booster, an LT1 electric smog pump works very well but isn't big enough to pull a lot of vacuum for the crankcase.

The smallest of vacuum pumps can pull 28 in hg given enough time and demand is low.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

Well, my bad. I should have given more details as to why. My brake booster works as if i have manual most of the time. If i hit the pedal more than once at idle, it will barely hold the brakes unless i stand on them. I don't think i have a crank case vacuum problem. My idle is set at 1000 rpm to get the vacuum to 10. I have been dealing with this for some time, and really should get them working better. With the cam I have, Comp thought I would be on the border for vacuum, and they were right. It's a custom grind cam they recommended for the motor we built. I have been looking at those electric vacuum pumps, but am not sure if i should go that direction or a pump as you guy's suggest. I think i just need it up to 15-18 in.hg.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

what size stall are you running? maybe a converter change would help with the brakes? just a thought.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by redneckjoe
what size stall are you running? maybe a converter change would help with the brakes? just a thought.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

you think a vacuum resivoir might work? its quit a bit cheaper.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1464
Old 06-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by redneckjoe
you think a vacuum resivoir might work? its quit a bit cheaper.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1464
I have been thinking of that too, but then the next question is... where to mount either that or one of them electric vacuum pumps. I have no room in the engine bay, and a big bazooka boom box (57 years old and was in there when i bought the car)in the trunk space.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Car: 2002 ws6, 2011 sierra 6.2L 6 speed
Engine: ls1
Transmission: M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42's

They make electric vacuum just for power brake applications
Old 06-12-2016, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

This is one i have been eyeing up, but not sure where I can mount it. http://cvrproducts.com/2014/product/...c-vacuum-pump/
Old 06-23-2016, 08:33 AM

Car: 87 Iroc 5.7,67 SS Camaro,90 Formula
Engine: 355 AFR Superram LPE 219
Transmission: 700r4 3000 stall 4spd 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Buy a vacuum can.. $50 bucks and done. Will usually solve the problem for good. Jegs, Ebay
Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by mrestrictrplate
Buy a vacuum can.. $50 bucks and done. Will usually solve the problem for good. Jegs, Ebay
Where would you mount it? I don't have any room under the hood even for a 5"x7" can, or pump.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Mount it under the battery if you have to.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
Mount it under the battery if you have to.
Great Idea,Thanks
Old 06-25-2016, 10:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

What are the specs on the cam? Have you tried adding some idle advance(idle spark) to the timing to increase vacuum? Higher stall converter would allow you to bump idle up another 100rpm or so to help vacuum.

How about better brakes? If you are running stock brakes on the 87, they were barely up to the task of stopping the vehicle when it was stock. Adding power and decreasing vacuum, which the wimpy stock brakes rely heavily on, just makes them almost useless. I remember really jamming on the pedal to stop my car and the fear of not being able to stop. My motor made 14inches at idle last time I checked. It idles at 22 degrees. 3,500 stall speed Edge converter.

I went to Fly N Bye for their 13" front kit with Wilwood 4 piston calipers, 02 Camaro SS brakes on the back(12" rotors with large piston aluminum calipers and internal band parking brakes). Fly N Bye calls the rears their LS brake kit.

No more braking problems.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ASE doc
What are the specs on the cam? Have you tried adding some idle advance(idle spark) to the timing to increase vacuum? Higher stall converter would allow you to bump idle up another 100rpm or so to help vacuum.

How about better brakes? If you are running stock brakes on the 87, they were barely up to the task of stopping the vehicle when it was stock. Adding power and decreasing vacuum, which the wimpy stock brakes rely heavily on, just makes them almost useless. I remember really jamming on the pedal to stop my car and the fear of not being able to stop. My motor made 14inches at idle last time I checked. It idles at 22 degrees. 3,500 stall speed Edge converter.

I went to Fly N Bye for their 13" front kit with Wilwood 4 piston calipers, 02 Camaro SS brakes on the back(12" rotors with large piston aluminum calipers and internal band parking brakes). Fly N Bye calls the rears their LS brake kit.

No more braking problems.
Comp custom grind, lift I .544 E .541 duration @ 50 I 236 E 242 109 center and 113 lobe separation. Your right about the stock brakes, I may try a can first and then a pump. I just stuck $10.000 in the motor and front end suspension, and still need a better custom tune. (I'm taking it to TPIS in July) I think better brakes will be next year. I'm pulling 10 in hg right now at 1000 rpm.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

I'm not arguing anyone's suggestions, but I think some clarification might help you know what you need depending on what your goal is. If you want better brake assist on first apply, I don't see how a vacuum reservoir is going to help. Your concern at that point isn't the volume of vacuum, but the level of vacuum assist you don't have. If your first-apply pedal assist is ok and you just need the same assist on more than one pedal apply, a reservoir will help you. If you want better first apply pedal assist, you will need to increase vacuum.

To give a different comparison... If you have/use air tools, think of it this way; you try to use an impact wrench to remove lug nuts, do you want a small 2 gallon nailer compressor at 40psi or a 30 gallon compressor at 110psi? It's two different variables that afford two different things. If you take that same 40psi on a 30 gallon compressor(bigger reservoir), you still take forever to get the lug nut to break loose @40psi, but you'll be able to use it many times before the compressor kicks on to build pressure again.

Though my comparison is a difference of positive vs negative pressure, a larger reservoir(or adding one when one doesn't already exist) doesn't make it easier to push the pedal, it just means you can push the pedal more times before it gets even harder to push.

Many newer GM cars now have a supplemental vacuum assist pump on them because of variable valve timing and other reasons, take a look at how those are setup, or even take one off a car in a salvage yard and mirror the setup in your car. Under the battery tray is a great location, if you look on the other side, you'll see another vacuum reservoir there already for accessory operation (HVAC, Cruise, etc.) though I wouldn't use it for the brakes because the ports are rather small, I'm just mentioning it so you can gather mounting ideas.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Lurbie
I'm not arguing anyone's suggestions, but I think some clarification might help you know what you need depending on what your goal is. If you want better brake assist on first apply, I don't see how a vacuum reservoir is going to help. Your concern at that point isn't the volume of vacuum, but the level of vacuum assist you don't have. If your first-apply pedal assist is ok and you just need the same assist on more than one pedal apply, a reservoir will help you. If you want better first apply pedal assist, you will need to increase vacuum.

To give a different comparison... If you have/use air tools, think of it this way; you try to use an impact wrench to remove lug nuts, do you want a small 2 gallon nailer compressor at 40psi or a 30 gallon compressor at 110psi? It's two different variables that afford two different things. If you take that same 40psi on a 30 gallon compressor(bigger reservoir), you still take forever to get the lug nut to break loose @40psi, but you'll be able to use it many times before the compressor kicks on to build pressure again.

Though my comparison is a difference of positive vs negative pressure, a larger reservoir(or adding one when one doesn't already exist) doesn't make it easier to push the pedal, it just means you can push the pedal more times before it gets even harder to push.

Many newer GM cars now have a supplemental vacuum assist pump on them because of variable valve timing and other reasons, take a look at how those are setup, or even take one off a car in a salvage yard and mirror the setup in your car. Under the battery tray is a great location, if you look on the other side, you'll see another vacuum reservoir there already for accessory operation (HVAC, Cruise, etc.) though I wouldn't use it for the brakes because the ports are rather small, I'm just mentioning it so you can gather mounting ideas.
Point well taken. My first brake pedal apply, is okay, it's the subsequent brake applies that dwindle. ASE doc is correct though, that the factory brakes are not too efficient and that an upgrade is in order. But for now, I need more volume. I may need to get a vacuum pump also if the canister alone doesn't cut it.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by red rock
Comp custom grind, lift I .544 E .541 duration @ 50 I 236 E 242 109 center and 113 lobe separation. Your right about the stock brakes, I may try a can first and then a pump. I just stuck $10.000 in the motor and front end suspension, and still need a better custom tune. (I'm taking it to TPIS in July) I think better brakes will be next year. I'm pulling 10 in hg right now at 1000 rpm.
Your cam specs are very close those of the ZZX. I imagine your loss of brake performance is the same that I experienced after installing the new engine.
Good brakes are expensive for sure and an increase in vacuum will help you get by for the short term. What about one of the little brake vacuum boost pumps used by VW/Audi on many of their models? I have just been in on a thread concerning Fly N Bye over on the Aftermarket Vendor Review forum. Heard of another company http://bigbrakeupgrade.com offering brake upgrades for the 3rd gen, for when you decide to take that step.

You are running the Holley HP system? Doesn't it allow for tuning of the timing table? I run old school Accel DFI gen 6. Great old Motorola ECM and top quality harness and components. The map cells are large because of the old 8 bit technology. Makes it hard to really fine tune fueling, but it works pretty well. Right now my start up and warm up fuel is off again, since redoing the fuel system. But tuning the timing and/or fuel tables is as easy as plugging in my laptop.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ASE doc
Your cam specs are very close those of the ZZX. I imagine your loss of brake performance is the same that I experienced after installing the new engine.
Good brakes are expensive for sure and an increase in vacuum will help you get by for the short term. What about one of the little brake vacuum boost pumps used by VW/Audi on many of their models? I have just been in on a thread concerning Fly N Bye over on the Aftermarket Vendor Review forum. Heard of another company http://bigbrakeupgrade.com offering brake upgrades for the 3rd gen, for when you decide to take that step.

You are running the Holley HP system? Doesn't it allow for tuning of the timing table? I run old school Accel DFI gen 6. Great old Motorola ECM and top quality harness and components. The map cells are large because of the old 8 bit technology. Makes it hard to really fine tune fueling, but it works pretty well. Right now my start up and warm up fuel is off again, since redoing the fuel system. But tuning the timing and/or fuel tables is as easy as plugging in my laptop.
I'm still running my old 1227165 MAF, I didn't want to get into the tuning end with the old system, so I'm taking it to TPIS July 19, they may keep it a few days, but I'm sure it will be done right. I thought about a cheaper vacuum pump, but they tend to be noisey from what I understand. I was checking this pump out; http://cvrproducts.com/2014/product/...c-vacuum-pump/
Old 07-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

That looks like quite a pump. I'm thinking of the small electric pump used by GM, VW/AUDI, Volvo and others. Funny thing, I had a 07 Suburban in two days ago with this pump and have now have an 08 Volvo C30 in my bay with the very same pump. They're installed by the manufacturer to boost vacuum to the brake booster for increased brake power immediately following an engine start. These are pretty good pumps. I don't see many failures on them. Have to think that they are less expensive than the billet unit from CVR. Certainly much more compact, maybe more durable too. Since they are a factory installed item, they should be available through the OE and discount parts channels.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on vacuum pumps.-20160701_090101.jpg  
Old 07-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like a Hella pump? The only selling point for me on the CVR pump is, they claim it's 20% less noise and vibration than other pumps. I installed a $40 canister reservoir and it did help on brake feel the second and third pump, but I'm still leaning towards a pump also.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:51 PM

Looks like a Hella pump? The only selling point for me on the CVR pump is, they claim it's 20% less noise and vibration than other pumps. I installed a $40 canister reservoir and it did help on brake feel the second and third pump, but I'm still leaning towards a pump also.
Be careful with claims like that, what and who defines other pumps? Is your car so quiet that you think you'll hear this? I still suggest finding a system in a salvage yard, they have to be quiet because they're in sedans and small cars.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Be careful with claims like that, what and who defines other pumps? Is your car so quiet that you think you'll hear this? I still suggest finding a system in a salvage yard, they have to be quiet because they're in sedans and small cars.
I hear ya, but CVR makes racing products and i think they are comparing to aftermarket pumps. No my car is not quiet by any means, but i also don't wan't to hear or feel much for vibrations. If you look at "factory" pumps, they are quite spendy, and I don't think i want a used one.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

I hear ya, but CVR makes racing products and i think they are comparing to aftermarket pumps. No my car is not quiet by any means, but i also don't wan't to hear or feel much for vibrations. If you look at "factory" pumps, they are quite spendy, and I don't think i want a used one.
Can't fault you for going with the more expensive aftermarket performance part. My car is made up of these expensive parts and most of them have proven to be very good.

EDIT: Just for the heck of it, I checked on line for the GM OE pump. It's $80 on ebay for the OEM replacement pump.

Last edited by ASE doc; 07-05-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM

I'm curious if you made a purchase yet and how it went. I did some more digging online last week and seems many of the GM pumps are made by Hella. Some say they're the UP28 pump.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

I'm curious if you made a purchase yet and how it went. I did some more digging online last week and seems many of the GM pumps are made by Hella. Some say they're the UP28 pump.
Well, so far I bought a Jegs vacuum canister and that helped, but I still think a pump and new brakes bill be the answer. I can now get 2 good brake applies, but any after that and I'm down to like a manual brake.