Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Belt tensioner marks - is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 04:01 PM

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: L31 350 TPI
Transmission: Tremec TKX
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi
Belt tensioner marks - is this right?

Recently installed Original Air conversion on my Firebird and this is the belt they supplied. It appears to be a standard length belt (Dayco 945K6) but it seems pretty tight to me. I have posted a photo of the tensioner marks - can someone chime in and tell me whether this looks okay or not?
Attached Thumbnails Belt tensioner marks - is this right?-wp_20180703_002.jpg  
Old 07-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,281 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Belt tensioner marks - is this right?

If it went on, it's fine. Regardless of marks.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

That's really tight and possibly going to cause uneven wear on your front main bearing. It did on mine.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lurbie
That's really tight and possibly going to cause uneven wear on your front main bearing. It did on mine.
How much longer should I look for? Half inch? Inch? More?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

A new belt will stretch over time. Make sure the belt is lined up right on the pulleys. It won't take much to get the marks back in line. What does the old belt look like?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,281 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

A belt isn't going to wear a crank bearing. It'll wipe out a bunch of little light-duty 6203 which is in the front of the alt and the tensioner and idler, LONG BEFORE the crank will even be able to notice it.

If you could get it on, it's fine. That's one of the virtues of the tensioner system; it's basically impossible to overtighten the belt. It'll stretch over time anyway. That just means it'll be longer before you have to buy another one.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
A belt isn't going to wear a crank bearing. It'll wipe out a bunch of little light-duty 6203 which is in the front of the alt and the tensioner and idler, LONG BEFORE the crank will even be able to notice it.

If you could get it on, it's fine. That's one of the virtues of the tensioner system; it's basically impossible to overtighten the belt. It'll stretch over time anyway. That just means it'll be longer before you have to buy another one.
oh, hell... I'm arguing with sofakingdom. What fun this will be.
I'll preface this with saying that I'm on vacation, so I cant give photos for a couple of days. With a new tensioner, and a shorter belt I was in this maximum range. I had an issue with my rear main thrust clearance that required me to pull the lower half apart. My front upper main bearing was prematurely worn in the area that holds the load of the belt. Now it's possible that some wind pushed the crank into this area of the bearing as I drove 500mph, but I think it's more likely that a belt was too tight. Why risk the cost and hassle of main bearing damage if you can just buy a longer belt that puts the tensioner gauge into a better operating range?
Old 07-04-2018, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by rt66er
How much longer should I look for? Half inch? Inch? More?
I'm not at home and won't be for a couple of days, but I had to guess on mine twice to get it in a better range. Just run up to your parts store, tell them what you're doing and they'll probably let you try 1 or 2 in the parking lot. Try moving up in size by 10mm or so at a time. You may already know, but here's how to decipher the belts PK number from Gates website.
https://www.gates.com/resources/resource-library/tech-tips/read-a-pk-number-on-a-abds-serpentine-belt

. HOW DO I READ A “PK” NUMBER? The PK number is broken down into three pieces of information: » Number of ribs on the belt » Belt application information » Effective length of the belt expressed in millimeters EXAMPLE: 6PK1003 » 6 - This indicates the number of ribs on the belt; therefore, this is a 6-rib belt. » PK – The “P” indicates a metric designation, and the “K” indicates the belt is automotive per SAE J1459. » 1003 - This is the effective length of the belt expressed in millimeters.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:37 AM

Thanks all for the input. FWIW, about 75 miles after installing this belt, the alternator bought it. True, it was the original alternator (28 years old) but with only ~17,000 miles. And there is a subtle "tweek-tweek-tweek" when it spins, so that makes me suspicious of this belt situation. Maybe it would be okay, but I tend to be cautious about these things, so I think I'll try a 1/2-inch longer belt and see how it looks. Once again, thanks for all the comments.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

Originally Posted by Lurbie
oh, hell... I'm arguing with sofakingdom. What fun this will be.
I'll preface this with saying that I'm on vacation, so I cant give photos for a couple of days. With a new tensioner, and a shorter belt I was in this maximum range. I had an issue with my rear main thrust clearance that required me to pull the lower half apart. My front upper main bearing was prematurely worn in the area that holds the load of the belt. Now it's possible that some wind pushed the crank into this area of the bearing as I drove 500mph, but I think it's more likely that a belt was too tight. Why risk the cost and hassle of main bearing damage if you can just buy a longer belt that puts the tensioner gauge into a better operating range?
I have to agree with Sofa on this one. No way did thay dinky little belt put any deflection on the crank. More likely the main line needs to be honed on that block. Many of these engines came from the factory with some really poor main line work and GM compensated with carefully selected bearing inserts. The belt doesn't put even a fraction of the load on the bearing that that firing of a cylinder puts on it.

GD