Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

86-87 & 88-90 Washer Motor Housing Compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA, Digital Dash
Engine: L98 TPI
Transmission: 1994 LT1 T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27
86-87 & 88-90 Washer Motor Housing Compatible?

Hi guys,

I've been searching for this and can't seem to find a direct answer: Besides the obvious relocation of the washer pump to the tank, is the 89-92 wiper motor housing a direct fit replacement to the 87-early 88 wiper motor?

I'm trying to determine what has to be modified to swap my 87 to the later style assembly and have it work as intended.

What I know:
  • the washer pump is relocated to the tank (duh)
    • new pump from rock auto
    • new pump connector from rock auto
  • the motor housing will have to be swapped to the later design (89-92)
  • The washer bottle is different for each version
  • The fluid level sensor for a digital dash car is different for both 87 and 88. They are not interchangeable.
What i think i know
  • the 87 wiper motor connector will have to be repinned/modified
    • how? not clear from photos i've found online there are two connectors on each motor: one on top in the black housing and one at the bottom. The upper connector is a 1:1 repin and adds the washer pump extension wires. The lower connector adds a body ground wire, so one will need to be added. There is a ground near the C100 firewall connector that works well for this.
    • I don't have an 89 service manual to compare to my 87 not needed if you have a complete swap available. The wire colours match 1:1
  • the wiring is similar and will probably function as a direct swap if pinned correctly. Yup
What i don't know:
  • is the connector for the later design motor housing different? yes
    • if so, how? the connector is changed to a 6 pin flat (instead of a metripak 4 pin "L") and moved to the engine side of the housing
  • is the wiper motor itself the same?
    • or does the entire assembly need to be swapped? the motor housing is not the same, so the entire motor assembly must be swapped.
  • would the stalk function as before with on/off/mist/delay/washer? Yes
    • if not, can the 87 harness be rewired to match the 88-90 function? Yep. need to add a body ground wire for the 6 pin motor connector.
  • How is the later year pump mounted in the washer tank?
    • how do the wires mount to the washer bottle? This is moot. I found a complete '88 GTA swap.
  • Is it the same setup in both the camaro and firebird? Same as above
  • Would the in tank pump run as long as the washer tab is pushed forward on the stalk? Sort of. It is connected to the first wipe stroke on the motor, so the fluid pump will not run on the return wipe. The wiper motor cycles three times before returning to rest and the washer pump will run on the first two of those.
Thanks!

Last edited by RunawayRadio; 09-12-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added missing info after completing the swap, in case anyone searches this thread in the future.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA, Digital Dash
Engine: L98 TPI
Transmission: 1994 LT1 T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt, 3.27
Re: 86-87 & 88-90 Washer Motor Housing Compatible?

When you look hard enough, you can find almost anything. Between pulling an entire swap from an 88 gta and the thread link below, I was able to answer most of my questions.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...ld-washer.html