Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hard line from the wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: auto
Hard line from the wiring harness

Another victim of my engine fire was the hard line that comes out of the harness and attaches to a vacuum line, feeding into a little two way valve(that also got destroyed). I've replaced the valve and some of the vacuum lines, but as to the hard line out of the harness: it burned up and I can't seem to find where it comes out of the harness. Does anyone know where it routes from- I assume it comes through the firewall SOMEWHERE from the HVAC, but I can't see where. Or do I have to dig out what is left of it from the harness and connect a vacuum line to it? I would rather find where it comes into the engine bay and route directly from there...
Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,276 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Hard line from the wiring harness

It is part of the HVAC harness, which comes through the firewall near the heater hoses.

There should be 2 of those in that harness: one brings vacuum from the accumulator to the control head, and the other takes it from the control head to the heater control valve.

Very eeeeeezy to just pop the ENTIRE harness out, from the control head all the way to the blower, compressor, etc.; and just repair it. Replace the existing hard line with the same, using a short piece of hose as a splice, where needed. Repair the electrical parts that are damaged at the same time, if any, of course.