Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

High idle flooded plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High idle flooded plugs

Sorry in advance for the long post . I'm also having a hard time operating this site and I may not be posting in the right place. I have a1992 Camaro Rally Sport. It is a 5-speed 6 cylinder. this is what I'm dealing with. I'm going to name everything I have done to this car and maybe someone can tell me if there's anything I have missed!!
Ignition coil, new spark plugs, plug wires, oil change and filter, two starters,(trouble shooting) TPS, TCS, IAC, map sensor, EGR, fuel pump, fuel filter, all vacuum hoses replaced, brand new computer, rebuilt throttle body from RockAuto, manifold work and catalytic converter has checked out, o sensor. Fuel pressure regulator and pelenium.

It is dumping fuel in all 6 plugs and running at high idle. 2000 +. It was running fine until one sensor went out on it... and it went from one sensor to the next, to the next, to the next. I have also replaced the sensors more than once to rule out that they were not faulty. Someone please help me!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: High idle flooded plugs

Originally Posted by Shelly2015.
Sorry in advance for the long post . I'm also having a hard time operating this site and I may not be posting in the right place. I have a1992 Camaro Rally Sport. It is a 5-speed 6 cylinder. this is what I'm dealing with. I'm going to name everything I have done to this car and maybe someone can tell me if there's anything I have missed!!
Ignition coil, new spark plugs, plug wires, oil change and filter, two starters,(trouble shooting) TPS, TCS, IAC, map sensor, EGR, fuel pump, fuel filter, all vacuum hoses replaced, brand new computer, rebuilt throttle body from RockAuto, manifold work and catalytic converter has checked out, o sensor. Fuel pressure regulator and pelenium.

It is dumping fuel in all 6 plugs and running at high idle. 2000 +. It was running fine until one sensor went out on it... and it went from one sensor to the next, to the next, to the next. I have also replaced the sensors more than once to rule out that they were not faulty. Someone please help me!
The best help I can give you is this ; replacing parts without a definitive diagnosis of that part being bad is not the way to go with troubleshooting . If you have no codes when it runs your very first check should be a fuel rail pressure check , believe it or not a low fuel pressure condition could very well cause the rich condition . Electricity opens the fuel injectors and fuel pressure closes them when the electricity is removed . If the fuel pressure is low the injectors can be late in closing , causing rich running .
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70

We call this troubleshooting with Visa. Rarely works. You need a proper scan tool with ability to see live data, and even more important you need someone that understands the data and can properly interpret it.

High idle is too much airflow at idle. Simple - either there's a vacuum leak or the idle control is not setup properly or not working or being commanded to open too far due to other incorrect ECM inputs (CTS reading engine temp very low, etc). Or the throttle is propped open, etc. Find the source(s) of the air and you find the source of the high idle.

You really can't fix this without proper troubleshooting. And we can't either.

GD
Old 11-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder
We call this troubleshooting with Visa. Rarely works. You need a proper scan tool with ability to see live data, and even more important you need someone that understands the data and can properly interpret it.

High idle is too much airflow at idle. Simple - either there's a vacuum leak or the idle control is not setup properly or not working or being commanded to open too far due to other incorrect ECM inputs (CTS reading engine temp very low, etc). Or the throttle is propped open, etc. Find the source(s) of the air and you find the source of the high idle.

You really can't fix this without proper troubleshooting. And we can't either.

GD
thanks! I'll check into more info from my mechanic. He's got all the proper tools to diagnose the fuel pressure and wiring but this is good news