Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Headers installed now a knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers installed now a knocking sound

I have installed new summit racing headers with taking off all the air tubes and just leaving the smog pump running open to the air on my 89 formula 350 and there is now what seems to be a rod knock. I am completely at loss what to do. These are the following things I have tried
1. drain the oil to check for no metal shavings
2. Making sure the headers and y-pipe aren't vibrating anything
3. did the best that i can to adjust the roller rockers
4. unplug each spark plug wire at a time to see if the sound went away
I am completely lost right now and scared I have a rod knock or something please help!!
Old 11-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Ramjet 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Torsen
Re: Headers installed now a knocking sound

Originally Posted by gavmeister
I have installed new summit racing headers with taking off all the air tubes and just leaving the smog pump running open to the air on my 89 formula 350 and there is now what seems to be a rod knock. I am completely at loss what to do. These are the following things I have tried
I am completely lost right now and scared I have a rod knock or something please help!!
First thing you might wanna adjust those rockers again.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:17 PM

I just did that today with checking if any pushrods were bent. i also replaced the header gasket and that did not solve the problem. Though i discovered when i pull out the out the passenger side injectors while running the sound the engine is making changes but when i do the same thing on the drivers side nothing happens to the sound of the engine
Old 11-23-2018, 04:17 PM

Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: 5.7 Tpi
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.42?

Did the noise go away or change when you removed the spark plug wires one at a time?
Old 11-23-2018, 04:26 PM

I did that last night sorry i forgot to mention that in my post
Old 11-23-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Did this start immediately after you installed the headers? If so odds are its something related to that. Next are we talking about a tick a click a dull knock? If you are thinking your valve train or an exhaust leak are the cause i assume its more of a tick or click and that would probably not be a rod.
Can you record it and post the noise?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

.......... taking off all the air tubes and just leaving the smog pump running open to the air............
I believe what your hearing is the unrestricted output of air from the smog pump . The output of the smog pump is not a constant pressure without "back pressure" (the rest of the air injection system) and will exhibit a "pop pop pop" type of sound with no load (restriction) on the pump's output .

Take the belt off of your smog pump and see if the "Knocking" sound disappears ......

Old 11-23-2018, 06:53 PM

I’m currently out of town through tonight and tomorrow for a football game so when I get home I’ll take a video of the knocking and then I’ll try taking the belt off the smog pump but what way would I route the serpentine belt
Old 11-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

I’m currently out of town through tonight and tomorrow for a football game so when I get home I’ll take a video of the knocking and then I’ll try taking the belt off the smog pump but what way would I route the serpentine belt
Your only gonna run it for a minute (with the engine stone cold) , like literally 60 seconds , with the belt off , which is not long enough to hurt anything . If the noise is gone without the belt running the pump your two options would be to get a shorter belt and bypass the smog pump's pulley , of if that's not possible you'll have to get a smog pump "delete pulley" and install that in place of the smog pump .
Old 11-25-2018, 09:51 PM

i tried to run the car without the smog pump and the knock persisted and i have also tried checking the timing and the timing is completely out of wack and while i was checking the timing the drivers side header starting smoking like crazy with a burnt like smell. Now the thing is i replaced the passenger side header because it was smoking and when i installed the new gasket it stopped smoking so tomorrow i am going to install the other gasket and see what happens. i also wasnt able to put the last bolt in closest to the passenger side in the rear of the engine because the there was not enough clearance but i don't think that that will create the knocking noise that is happening. Sorry for the long post and sorry for not posting a video of the sound i am hearing i will try to post a video tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I had an exhaust/header leak, and you'd be amazed how NOT exhaust sounding it is. Definitely made a tick tick tick noise.