Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Vented gas cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vented gas cap

1986 Camaro originally 305tpi auto
-LS swapped with 4l60e
-wabro 255 fuel pump

I reciently parked the car in a garage and noticed a strong gas Odor, I started to look for the problem and I found that The car does not have a charcoal canister, precious owner must have removed it and the line was left open in the engine bay, also the breather underneath the car near the rear end is snapped in half and is esscentially an open line also (little white tank vent breather)

I plugged both of the vents, the one going to the charcoal canister in the engine bay and the Tank vent breather above the rear end, and I put a vented gas cap on there (off of a 76 corvette).

Will there be any adverse effects of this crude elimination of the stock fuel venting system? Like I will there still be a gas smell in the garage, or will the tank not be able to breath properly?
Old 12-31-2018, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Vented gas cap

No car in the last thirty years has had a fuel system vented to atmosphere. You can't even buy a gas can for a lawn mower with a vent. What could possibly go wrong.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
No car in the last thirty years has had a fuel system vented to atmosphere. You can't even buy a gas can for a lawn mower with a vent. What could possibly go wrong.
well I reckon that it is much better than the previous setup with 2 completely open vent lines, also better than the Orileys guy’s recommendation to “drill some holes in the gas cap”. I understand that it is not an ideal setup and is non existent in modern cars due to emission standards. What I’m wondering is if there is something that I’m missing here with this setup that could cause pressure building up in the tank or fumes being released in a bad place, I’m assuming that it is safe to run a vented gas cap because almost all cars before the mid 80s used them and dirt bikes still use that technology and Iv never heard of them exploding or anything.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

By design, the fuel vapors and therefore emissions, pollution, was vented into the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister was vented to the engine under certain conditions to burn those vapors. If you don't recycle the vapors through the engine, technically you're breaking some obscure law and polluting the environment.

Fairly certain the LS1 cars used a charcoal canister mounted on top of the fuel tank. I'd expect they also were setup to recycle the vapors through the engine, for emissions.

In practicality, running an atmospheric vent will potentially smell bad. Without the vents and pressure relief system in place, the tank might not feed right. Will it function? Maybe. Will it function as it was designed? Not a chance. Put a vented cap on a stock LS1 car, I'm sure the check engine light would come on before you get very far.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
By design, the fuel vapors and therefore emissions, pollution, was vented into the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister was vented to the engine under certain conditions to burn those vapors. If you don't recycle the vapors through the engine, technically you're breaking some obscure law and polluting the environment.

Fairly certain the LS1 cars used a charcoal canister mounted on top of the fuel tank. I'd expect they also were setup to recycle the vapors through the engine, for emissions.

In practicality, running an atmospheric vent will potentially smell bad. Without the vents and pressure relief system in place, the tank might not feed right. Will it function? Maybe. Will it function as it was designed? Not a chance. Put a vented cap on a stock LS1 car, I'm sure the check engine light would come on before you get very far.

I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge, everything helps. I’ll be sure to update this thread on my results of this setup. I wouldn’t expect it to throw a code or anything because it is a standalone setup for the ls swap in my 3rd gen, and the pcm has been reflashed with the emissions deleted, so the only way the fuel system could turn on the check engine light or effect the engines performance, is if fuel pressure drops from a vacuum lock in the tank or something making it throw a lean code. I probably don’t have to worry about it breaking the emission law because I don’t live in Cali and don’t have to pass inspection or anything.