Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1988 5.0L Base TBI - Need Help with Diagnosis - Hot Weather Keeps It From Restarting

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Want a title? Post!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 5.0L Base TBI - Need Help with Diagnosis - Hot Weather Keeps It From Restarting

Hello,

I need help diagnosing an issue. I have a 1988 Base 5.0L with zero modifications. Single owner for 30 years (my Mom bought it new in 1987). The same mechanic has worked on it for the last 10 years before she gave it to me. She is in CA and I am in TN. I am a novice mechanic, though this winter a buddy of mine helped me to all new ignition system including plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor, coil, ignition relay. Also helped install a new thermostat, coolant temp sender (to have the gage working correctly), coolant temp probe and radiator. This is the issue: on a hot day, say 90F, I would start and run the car and have absolutely no issues the whole time it is running...even in stop and go traffic. Though, when I turn off the car and attempt to start it again after, say going into a store...it will turn over and start then promptly bog-down and die. I would attempt this a couple of times, and I would then begin to smell fuel when I didn't before I tried to restart it). Even when I try to rev it, it seems like fuel isn't getting to the engine. It would start for a couple of seconds and then die again even though I am pressing the pedal. After a couple of attempts, I would think the engine is flooded so I would do as the manual says and press the gas pedal all the way down and turn the key for 10 seconds. It would turn over again and after a couple of seconds bog-down and die again...when it is bogging down, the rpm would fluctuate up and down even if I am not pressing the pedal. If I let the car cool for two hours or so, then I can start and run it just fine, as long as I don't turn it off and try to restart it immediately. This only happens really when it is hot outside. I haven't had this issue in the winter. And this issue has been a problem even before I had help putting a new ignition system in it (I thought that would help, but it didn't). The temp gage works and it reads about 195F when running at a constant speed. The temp gage never gets high. This is an '88, single owner car, and when the previous owner (my Mom) gave it to me, she told me it had issues. I am trying to work through them a little at a time cause I want to keep the car and learn a little about how to work on it.. So, to say the least, I am a novice mechanic, and I need help diagnosing the issue...Any help diagnosing the problem will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne