Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel supply issue, losing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel supply issue, losing my mind

I have a very simple setup and I'm not a novice to working on cars, but this one sort of has me stumped... 84HO 305 is the engine, after the winter it would simply not start, I can crank over fine... so I pulled a plug and had spark but sort of weak-ish (REALLY old plugs) so I changed all plugs while there... nothing improved, so onto gas I went, the fuel pump was also dirt-old so I threw a new one on there because why not, all new hoses as well (mechanical fuel pump, stock one), new see-through fuel filter by the carb as well and now I'm realizing that I only see it fill up sometimes, I Just cranked for 30 seconds and nothing in there but few drops of fuel, but other times it almost feels and full (not quite). It seems to drain back rather quick, not sure if that's normal or not.

There are no other filters inline to replace, there is gas in the vehicle.. am I looking at a clogged pickup? after 1 winter though? I've had this car for 20 years and it not once did not fire up because of a fuel issue... I drove it last year few miles (not a lot admittedly) and maybe 100 miles in the last 5 years, but it does move.

is there any chance air could be trapped in the fuel line and causing it to not feed right? seems unlikely to me..

I'm thinking if I disconnect the fuel hose by the pump and put it into a bucket I can test the fuel pump and see what it's actually pumping out right?
also, I"m thinking of trying to make it run from an external gas container as well to eliminate the pickup? seems like that should work if I simply stick a hose in it and hook it up to the fuel pump..

Any ideas? I don't mind dropping the tank, but I'd love to avoid it if this could be caused by something else.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,276 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Fuel supply issue, losing my mind

Disconnect the rubber fuel line at the pump, and plug it so that gas doesn't go spraying everywhere.

Then GET RID OF the "see through" fuel filter by the carb, and put the unbroken uncut unmolested intact steel fuel line back in place.

Then fill the carb up with FRESH NEW CLEAN gas through the vent holes on either side of the IAB valve. Just inside the air cleaner flange, a sort of "tower" thing right in the middle there, the 2 holes on either side of the middle of it.

If it starts, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't start you have a spark problem.

Have you changed out the fuel filter? (no not the useless "see-through" POS, the ACTUAL fuel filter) If not, and it turns out you have a fuel problem, I'd start there. It's inside the little chamber behind the big nut in the photo, cryptically and inscrutably labelled "<-----FILTER" in the photo. Use a 5/8" flare-nut wrench to break the fuel line nut loose, while holding the BIG nut still with a 1" open-end; then once the fuel line is off, take out the BIG nut; the filter is in there.