Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Ignition/ Wiring Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro Z/28
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Ignition/ Wiring Suggestions

Hello, everyone! This is my first post so please correct me if this is the wrong area. I have recently fulfilled a dream of mine and bought a 1992 Z/28. The car sat for a while outside and after being parked for an ignition issue I think the mice that found a new home in it didn't help the problem. I had already purchased a VATS bypass plug-in before cleaning out the engine bay because of the previous owner's description of the problem, but the aftermarket MSD ignition parts look like they need to be rewired. A lot of the engine harness wires, mainly from the ignition system, are chewed threw. The coil and box are MSD parts (Street Fire PN5520) but the distributor looks like an average aftermarket replacement. I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix this issue. As far I as I can tell these are my options:

1. Replace the entire ignition system, which seems expensive but I guess may be better in the long run since I wouldn't be depending on the previous owner's wiring.

or

2. Heat Shrink over the exposed wire and solder in patch connections where completely broken to try and save the existing components.

I'm going to have to buy new spark plug wires regardless so I wanted to know if these other wiring issues are saveable. I don't mind spending a little if it means I can depend on it longer, but I'm not looking to just throw parts at it. I'd like to knock these out so I'll know if the VATS is the reason the car got parked in the first place. Also, I have pictures of the wires but I'm having issues attaching them. Any and all suggestions would be very appreciated, and I'm so excited to now be part of the community!
Old 06-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 422 Likes on 323 Posts
Car: 86 Imponte Ruiner 450GT, 91 Formula
Engine: 350 Vortec, FIRST TPI, 325 RWHP
Transmission: 700R4 3000 stall.
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt Torsen 3.70
Re: Ignition/ Wiring Suggestions

Get rid of the MSD box. That's useless. The stock components are more than adequate.

If it were me I would just get a new distributor and matching coil from Davis Unified Ignition, and a new set of Taylor plug wires and NGK plugs. Replace any bad connectors/wires as needed. Sell that MSD crap on ebay.

It's not really throwing parts at it. The cap and rotor are likely smoked/corroded, and who knows about the distributor shaft bushings.... the ignition module in the small cap is a typical failure item and in any case it would need cleaned and new heatsink compound applied. Easier to drop in a new known good distributor with module, cap, and rotor included. Coil needs to match the module.

GD

Last edited by GeneralDisorder; 06-15-2020 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AUPI (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro Z/28
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Re: Ignition/ Wiring Suggestions

That sounds great! Your reply completely answered my questions when random internet searches just made it more confusing. I would rather deal with closer-to-stock componentes anyway, so I'll go ahead and order those parts. Thanks again!