Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Some questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some questions from a newbie

Hi everyone,
I have an 83 v6 berlinetta that I purchased mostly because it was cheap and looks cool--I really don't know a lot about this car but I'm trying to learn! Overall it runs well and I haven't had any major issues, just some minor things that I'd like to learn how to fix/diagnose myself or with friends, especially because most of the shops I've tried taking it to don't seem interested in working on it...
My primary concern right now is sometimes, immediately after starting the car it will shut right off again. If I crank the engine again it starts no problem, and this usually only happens in the mornings when I'm starting my car for the first time. The battery is new, any insight into what causes this?

Additionally, does anyone know much about the windshield wiper system? My tank is full and does not appear to be clogged, but will not spray wiper fluid though I can hear it trying to.

Any insight? Sorry for not providing a lot of details I'm really stupid about this stuff but I have had a lot of minor work done and can fill in the blanks where needed... thanks!
Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Some questions from a newbie

Welcome to the board! This is a great place to get help. We always recommend searching first. Personally, I use google search and it almost always brings back several threads from these boards. There are also "sticky" threads that are always stuck at the top of each forum. These are considered to be comprehensive, helpful, and popular.

And of course if looking around doesn't find you an answer, ask away. There is all the knowledge you could ever need here- friendly, cranky, and all other sorts. But pretty much all very helpful.

I am not familiar with the V6 but many are.

As far as your wiper spray system, They are very simple. I would start by following the hose from the pump to the windshield. Unplug it from somewhere along there (even right at the pump) to see if the pump is able to pump out fluid at that point. Then we will go from there.

Last edited by Tootie Pang; 06-19-2020 at 03:00 PM.