Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Bogging in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Bogging in 1st gear

1989 Camaro, Has a 5.7 with a RV cam (thats what i was told haha), and an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb, Hyperfuel fuel pressure reg.

Im having issues while in first, It boggs down when trying to shift i can prevent this in two ways.... Giving it a lot of gas, or hitting the throttle a couple times before accelerating, once in first gear it runs SMOOTH. Im stuck in my head thinking the problem lies somewhere with the fuel pressure regulator. The person who installed the regulator left the vacuum/boost reference line disconnected and said its supposed to be that way. He set it regulator to 3.5 psi however on startup (which is when i was looking at it) it reads about 4.5-5 psi. If i WOT it boggs then catches and sounds good but it does it every singe time. Idle is set to 1000, timing is correct.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,275 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Bogging in 1st gear

Sounds like the carb needs tuning. No biggie.

Get the Edelbrock tuning kit, follow the instructions, and see what happens.

Not referencing the FPR to engine vacuum is correct for a carb. Carbs don't work off of fuel PRESSURE, they work off of VOLUME. All that a carb cares is, whether the fuel bowls are kept full. They're at atmospheric pressure at all times; unlike injectors, whose business end is subject to vacuum, and therefore the pressure across the injector - the difference between "fuel pressure" and the pressure in the manifold, which is atmospheric MINUS vacuum - varies with engine vacuum and therefore their FP needs to be trimmed to compensate for that and keep the pressure constant, the carb's fuel level control is entirely independent of vacuum. As long as the pump is putting out enough pressure to force enough fuel through the needle valve to keep the bowls full at all times, but not so much pressure that it forces the needle valve off its seat, then a carb will be happy. 4½ - 5 psi is probably perfectly fine. In any case, low FP CANNOT cause the symptom you describe, which sounds to me like the accelerator pump isn't working right. Your problems lie elsewhere.

1000 RPM idle is too high, unless of course it's not measured with any kind of real test instrument and instead is only what the wavy-pointer trim package POS in the dash says, in which case it's merely meaningless.

Good luck getting that through CA inspection.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 09-28-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 V8
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Re: Bogging in 1st gear

I sync'd my carb everyday for about 4 days using a vacuum gauge, I get it to run perfect, no hesitation (the issue). But the next day or even later that same day the hesitation returns and then i resync it and it repeats itself.

I have not got the tuning kit, but im getting it to run perfect and how i want it, the issue no is that its not holding the tune for some reason.