Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hot No Start Condition, Not Starter Heat Soak

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt, Torsen Diff, 3.73's
Hot No Start Condition, Not Starter Heat Soak

I know that the default answer for a hot no start condition is starter heat soak, but I'm fairly certain I have a different issue. Car starts great, but if I take it somewhere and turn it off for more than a couple minutes, it won't start after. Generally, if I drive it, shut it off, and try and start it right back up it will. When it refuses to start, I hear a noise as if the solenoid is pushing the plunger out but not spinning it.

Last time this occurred, my dad and I pulled the wire with the spade connector off the starter solenoid and put a pushbutton between the positive battery terminal and that spade connector. Car started no issue when the push button was pushed. Put the wire back on and tried started from inside and no dice. This would seem to rule out the starter, battery cables, and battery (all of which are new anyway). Thinking all that's really left would be the wires that run to the starter solenoid, but not totally sure why heat would effect them. Any thoughts or other ideas?

Car is 84 TA, 350 swapped, T56 swapped (formerly auto) with the clutch switch wired into the formal Neutral Safety Switch harness. High torque starter with a thermal wrap.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt, Torsen Diff, 3.73's
Re: Hot No Start Condition, Not Starter Heat Soak

Not to jinx myself, but figured I'd update for anyone interested. I appear to have solved the issue, at least based on yesterday's test drive.

When I did the T56 swap, I knew that my solder joints on the clutch switch weren't great, so I decided to cut them out yesterday and do a better job. I'm assuming that these connections were high enough resistance that, when the starter is cold, it could support enough current, but after the starter got hot and needed more current, this connection was too high resistance to support it. I also did clean the connections to the post on the starter, so that may also have been a factor.