Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Crank But No Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank But No Start

Hi All,
Great to be here. I have owned a v6 port injection model 1985 Camaro for many years. Not fast but handles great with lowered springs and Centerlines with 16 inches tires, red paint. Have thought about engine swaps as well in the future.

Right now, I have had it parked for a few years and got good crank with engine turning and fresh battery hooked up. What I have done so far is listen for the fuel pump to turn on which I can here for a couple of seconds. I also put two fresh gallons of fuel into what is a dry tank. I had about 7 gallons in there when I parked it a few years ago and when I tried to siphon out the old gas, it was bone dry. It was parked outside under a cover and its possible someone might have siphoned it out, who knows? I do about 70 percent of my own work but before I parked it, I had a shop replace the fuel pump and fuel tank.

I pressure tested the fuel system at the rail and it reads zero but when I removed the connector, the valve sprayed fuel. Not in a leaking way but a full spray of fresh gas with no odor. In my mind, that means the pump is working and getting fuel past the filter and to the rail. Maybe rapid repeated turning of the key will prime it better and provide increased pressure? How could I get zero pressure but fuel spraying? I wonder if I didn't have the pressure tester connected correctly because the shrader valve is slightly buried near the intake. Any information much appreciated.