Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Would a bad oil pressure sen. cause the engine to idle rough??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
Would a bad oil pressure sen. cause the engine to idle rough??

I have a 91 Camaro, the sensor is the actual sending unit along with the fuel cut off built into one, as I'm sure a lot of you already know. I had the sensor replaced about 7-8 months ago because it was acting up, it was giving a low pressure reading, at idle it would be all the way bottom red. It also seemed like the engine would idle rough. I figured that because the fuel shut off was built into the same unit that that's what was causing the rough idling at the low pressure reading.

Well now it's acting up again and I know it's the oil pressure sen. again because oil is leaking out of the back of it, where the terminal plugs into it. My last one leaked oil like this too from the same spot, is this a common problem with them? The last one I had someone else install, this time I'm going to do it myself. But it has all the same symtoms of my last one, the oil pressure will sometimes drop low and it seems to idle rough.

The main question I'm getting at here is, if the pressure sen was receiving a low pressure reading, would it cause the engine to run rough?
Old 02-28-2002, 12:52 PM

Mine squirted oil just like that. I dont think it would cause anything to run rough though. As far as I know the sending unit just goes to the gauge and has nothing to do with the computer or fuel system.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Grafx, I have a 91z28 and mine is doing the same thing. the bad thing about mine is that I just put a brand new GM crate motor in and for some reason, the oil pressure gauge goes to zero after driving for a couple minutes. Once it hits zero the car shuts off. I am not sure if it shuts off for a saftey reason or not. I have been told there is a fuel pump shut off circuit wired into the oil pressure switch somehow and when the switch reads zero oil pressure it shuts off the fuel pump. I have about 20 miles on my new motor and this is the **** i have to deal with . I changed the sending unit when i replaced the motor. i hope it is the gauge. I do not notice any knock at all either .. I will be taking it to a mechanic to have a oil pressure gauge hooked up to it to see whats up
Old 02-28-2002, 02:23 PM

i would say your pressure switch is bad. it's not supposed to leak oil. the fuel pump just runs off the pressure switch, not the gauge. it is a safty feature that is supposed to prevent engine damage if you loose oil pressure. if you are leaking oil, then you are leaking pressure. that could explain your rough idling and would definitly explain bottles engine dieing.
jess
Old 03-01-2002, 09:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Camaro LT
Engine: 355 L98
Transmission: T56
i would have to say the switch cannot be attributed to rough idle because the switch only has on and off, if it was detecting low pressure it would shut off the fuel completely and you would stall, not idle rough. the pressure sender only sends a signal to the gages and as far as i know has no effect on operation