Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Never racing again horrible wreck

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 PM
stu
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zepher
would you believe that that was $6700 in damage, that's $300 more than I paid for the car in 2001.
No I wouldn't, not even close, and I see about 3-5 new accidents every single day. What else was damaged? Under carriage?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
undercarriage was fine.
the parts replaced were fenders, hood, both headlight assmblies, front bumper cover, bumper cover support, fog light brackets, fog lights, some other bracket in the engine bay near the radiator, repaint the front end and the rear bumper cover.
We were supposed to get the 98+ front end put on the car and the dealer ordered the front end from Speed automotive and then canceled the check and went ahead with the 96 parts since they said it was cheaper, without letting us know about the change.
Had we known they were NOT putting the 98 parts on we would have requested a check for $6700 and done it ourselves.
the 98 parts from SA were $1800 shipped while the 96 parts were $3200, so I have no idea how the 96 parts would have been cheaper. Would it have cost over $1400 in labor to unbolt the 98 parts from the front end section?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 AM
stu
Supreme Member

Hmmmm, so basically the whole front end was redone, still seems awfully high though.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
not if u have it done at a quality place. I got my mirror taken off and a scratch in my door, plus the front bumper needs some work. $2400 bucks. He has alot more damage.

Of course I'm getting the work for free (I put a motor in one of their cars..) and it'll look BETTER than factory..
Old 05-17-2006, 01:24 AM

Car: 91 Formula WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: five speed
Well Zephyr, that could have been my black '97 TA except I had blue and white paint on my lh fender and front bumper! I lost it on the drag strip, pushing it too hard after I had saved a rear waggle from a hard launch. Just got back into it too soon. I was wearing a helmet and seat belt, just got my first 13.99 that night too! I got greedy and paid the price during a heads up race. My damage wasn't as bad, about $3500. Still hurt, and I was embarassed as hell not to mention very sore in the neck.

A funny thing happened to me after that, I started to get more serious about my driving...went to an autox school and then started doing street schools on the local road race track. Learning from dedicated racers really affected me positively. I appreciate the controlled situation you get on the track...driving on public roads makes me nervous because you don't know what those goofballs around you are going to do. Racing requires a lot of self-discipline and respect for others. You have got to dedicate your self to learning driving skills and knowing how you can apply them to your car. This is a process that never ends. If it does end you should quit, because no-one knows everything!

I would never impose my skills on anyone aggressively on the street. On the track it is a different story! There you have the controlled situation, the safety workers, your safety equipment, and the right attitude to go out there and play with others in the first place. On the street you have no controlled situation much less medical crews standing by- the consequences of this situation are played out daily through the Darwin awards as folks have already mentioned.

If you do go out on the street racing, just ask yourself if you can accept the consequences if things go wrong. Can you explain it, if you severely injure someone who happens to enter your racing scene, to the relatives, to the person themself if they survive? Will you be around to explain this at all? Think about it.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Well I'm glad no one was killed but street racing, at least in my area, can be made fairly safe. Highway racing is just stupid though. The group I hung out with wouldn't put a car on the road till we were sure there was no other car coming or going. You could see for at least 2 miles in either direction of the road. We did it at night out in the middle of no where with rice fields on either side of the road. Some guys chose to wear a helmet, others not. No one but the starter was in front of the cars. The only risk was the two guys in the cars and the starter and possibly the stray animal running from field to field. I haven't gone out to an organized street race in 2+ years, been going to the track instead.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Mustang
Engine: Bolt Ons
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I love the "if you have to street race" comments...

I have no sympathy for street racers and whatever happens to them, but passengers, family, friends and anyone else hurt I feel bad for.

This kids make mistakes crap is way to over played. Because you dont just make a mistake that affects you. This affects hundreds of people. Whether your family, friends, our insurance rates, the cops and people who have to come out and save your pathetic ***, and tons of other people who have to come fix or deal with your mistake. To think when you do something that dumb it only affects you has to be one of the most igonrant things I have heard, but go ahead, keep thinking that. Good way to go through life.

How come if we can say kids make mistakes, not all of us have done it. My guess is most of us didnt, and wont. I have never lost anything at any speed, never tried to take any turn too fast, and never had an issue avoiding anything that could have happened. Maybe you have to work your *** off to get the things you want, build the car you want, and have respect to be responsible about it.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:13 AM
stu
Supreme Member

I agree that it's more than making a mistake.

Ordering Unagi at a sushi restaurant when you're allergic to eel is a mistake.

Knowing and understanding the full consequences of an action BEFORE taking it, and still going through anyway is not a mistake. It is ignorant, irresponsible, selfish, and stupid, but it's not a mistake.

I'm starting to have less and less sympathy for street racing offenders the more I think about it.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 PM

Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9
Transmission: world class T5
Axle/Gears: stock ten bolt
A few months back some friends of mine got into an accident street racing. 3 cars were wrecked on a road that is used alot by people coming to and from work from a nearby factory. It was about the time the night shift would be heading out too, it was a miracle nobody was hurt bad if you saw the cars.

No they didnt learn a lesson and continue to race on the street.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Originally Posted by EvilCartman
Well I'm glad no one was killed but street racing, at least in my area, can be made fairly safe.
Better be careful, i said the exact same thing and everyone wanted to whine that its not safe.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:41 PM

Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 7 1/2 Inch 3.23
Just glad no one was hurt.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I street race from time to time, and i'm pretty young. What gives it a terrible name is morons like you who dont know what your car is capable of.

I'm glad you learned your lesson but im sorry it took such a rude awakening.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 PM
stu
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RookieCamaro
I street race from time to time, and i'm pretty young. What gives it a terrible name is morons like you who dont know what your car is capable of.

I'm glad you learned your lesson but im sorry it took such a rude awakening.
The original poster didn't wreck. I guess it's morons like you who can't read that make our national literacy rate look bad?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
I realize it wasn't him who "personally" wrecked the car, but the fact remains he was there going the same speeds and just tagging along, and it just so happened he was one of the luckier drivers. It was a group drive, and while the OP did suggest the highway instead, it was still careless and uncalled for to take a turn at that speed.

PS. Stu, take a chill pill, relax. Is this the kind of stress we want on a forum? We are all camaro/firebird bretheren and people have accidents, but one at that speed is uncalled for.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Car: 89' Iroc-Z G92
Engine: TPI 305 G92
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: Limited 9 bolt, 3.45
Originally Posted by Zepher
Um, the stock Civic Type R will out handle your car. dude probably had an EX or DX, not sure how well those handle though, priobably like a boat.

and I don't see a V6 stang or Civic pulling away quickly from you if you are at 110mph (unless they are both modded and yours is still slow).

A stock thirdgen F41 can take that type of turn proposed.

A year ago I was running against a Subie, we covered 36 miles in 15 minutes you do the math as far as speeds. I was running P245/50 HR-16's installed in 1996 and we were running down a back road. I was doing approximately 140mph cutting the speed back a little since we broke into a lightly populated area. Noticed a warning sign stating a right hand curve, slow 10mph. Drop it into neutral, hit the brakes (single piston stock calipers original brake pads), got it down to approximately 96mph. Took the turn with a sedan in my lane. I assummed I was dead but the car was amazingly responsive. I think she may have or come very close to putting it up on the two drivers side wheels, I just know the body banked hard and the wells were rubbing the tires. Needless to say, I managed to survive it without a scratch in half the lane no shoulder. My buddy in the Subaru nearly pissed his pants but he was trailing and got it down to 60 in the turn.

I dont recommend doing it, but a 3rdgen can if driven right handle very well.. I have done some other things I dont wish to discuss.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM

Mcdamit, you're not helping my street racing can be safe theory. Even I find that horrible, back roads or not.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:09 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 355
Transmission: Th-350
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Originally Posted by Mcdamit
A stock thirdgen F41 can take that type of turn proposed.

A year ago I was running against a Subie, we covered 36 miles in 15 minutes you do the math as far as speeds. I was running P245/50 HR-16's installed in 1996 and we were running down a back road. I was doing approximately 140mph cutting the speed back a little since we broke into a lightly populated area. Noticed a warning sign stating a right hand curve, slow 10mph. Drop it into neutral, hit the brakes (single piston stock calipers original brake pads), got it down to approximately 96mph. Took the turn with a sedan in my lane. I assummed I was dead but the car was amazingly responsive. I think she may have or come very close to putting it up on the two drivers side wheels, I just know the body banked hard and the wells were rubbing the tires. Needless to say, I managed to survive it without a scratch in half the lane no shoulder. My buddy in the Subaru nearly pissed his pants but he was trailing and got it down to 60 in the turn.

I dont recommend doing it, but a 3rdgen can if driven right handle very well.. I have done some other things I dont wish to discuss.
Whew, you must've been shaking for hours after that.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
Wow, what a bunch of hypocrites. When someone posts a kill on the street or highway we all give em props. But G0d forbid someone f*kcs up and all of a sudden we're all law abiding saints that have never street raced before. TGO should just get rid of the STREET RACING board.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by sasser43
Mcdamit, you're not helping my street racing can be safe theory. Even I find that horrible, back roads or not.
Hey, **** happens, I love my Iroc I would tell more but that could get me into trouble with the local pd and noone would believe them anyway.. and to the second response.. no I put it back into 5th gear and finished the race. Tires were melted and the asbestos pads/catalytic convertors lit on fire, smelt like rotten eggs for weeks(outside).
Old 05-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

A 10 mph turn at 96 mph...

I dont think I even have to go any further than that. Theer are tunrs near me that are 15 mph (old cow town and some roads are horse trails) and if your going over 50 your not going to make it, dont care what your driving. I picture a straight right hand turn, and I would pay to see someone try that at anything over 60 mph.

To me there is a difference between racing in an industrial park with not a single person around, and racing on a highway or even back roads.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 PM

i agree with you...

Im just lucky as hell,, wasn;t a straight right hand had a slight bend to it..You would be surprised how time slows down though.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 PM
stu
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by IROCZZ3
Wow, what a bunch of hypocrites. When someone posts a kill on the street or highway we all give em props. But G0d forbid someone f*kcs up and all of a sudden we're all law abiding saints that have never street raced before. TGO should just get rid of the STREET RACING board.
We've done dumb stuff, but like I said earlier, this is a serious enough issue that everyone should be hard on others.

It's like taking perscription drugs. Someone who has done them and almost lost their life or something has EVERY right to yell and scream at someone else to help try to prevent them from losing their life before it's too late.

The 2nd Gen Integra board that 85Camaro_Kid and I am on completely removed the kills section, they only have a competition forum.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:35 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS, 72 Camaro SS
Engine: 305TBI, til it pukes
Transmission: Auto
Originally Posted by sasser43
Boy, You're a hard one to figure out sasser, First you joke about a family being killed in a street race, Then you're horrified about some fabricated, comic book story like his! I figured you would have been there videotaping him. No car of any make anywhere is capable of taking a 10 mph corner at 96mph! I think McDamit's been watching to many Speedracer reruns. I especially liked the part where he finished the race! Yup, just like the cartoons.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by CYARS92
Boy, You're a hard one to figure out sasser, First you joke about a family being killed in a street race, Then you're horrified about some fabricated, comic book story like his! I figured you would have been there videotaping him. No car of any make anywhere is capable of taking a 10 mph corner at 96mph! I think McDamit's been watching to many Speedracer reruns. I especially liked the part where he finished the race! Yup, just like the cartoons.

Um, i joked about you might hit a family on an abandoned air strip to point out how theres no way you're putting anyone in danger other than yourself and the other driver. Whats so hard about that?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 AM

Its not. a comic book story.. The other Guys name was Julius, we used to race alot actually, and we didn't know where we were. Believe it if you want... I have more stories.. Right up until the the point my camaro was indefinitely garaged.

A few weeks later we went racing again, if any of you know some of the mountain roads by me then you may know what I'm talking about. We were on our lunch break from work. So we went out, Myself(Iroc-Z), Julius(Subie) and Tim(RANDOM BLUE CAR), we turned off onto this mountain road, we had never driven them before as in the races prior. Well, it was the absolute wrong road to pick as when I punched it up to 60ish, due to road conditions such a massive pot holes, a ravine on the left hand side of the road.

Originally Posted by 5-15-2005
My buddy that I was racing that day was right behind me on another bad road, There was a mountain on oneside, ravine on the other, extremely curvy, full of pot holes, we were running 60ish I tried to go faster but slowed it down; the car didn't like it, around a curve a Eclipse convert came around the corner in my lane, dead center my lane about 40 to 50ft in front of me. I whipped it to the right and came a few inches from the mountain, but i hit a two foot deep pot hole instead, I thought literally this is it. I couldn't slow down my friend was drafting me, i tried to warn the guys in back of me with a caution signal but by the time the light flashed once he was already at them. he was about half way in the lane then and they hit their brakes when they saw my signal. Well as for me about 3/4's of my car was off the road I was starting to roll over at 60 to 70mph, the right front tire dropped quick enough and made me airborn(thank god). For about what felt like a minute and me shifting and getting ready to cause a 4 car pile up, I dropped it into third gear but left the clutch depressed, I held the steering wheel and turned as I skidded back on to the road at 60 mph and my suspension caught, floored it so I didn't get thrown into the ravine by my buddy. Those pics were taken last weekend this was two weeks ago, I just got alot of mud on the passenger side, no scratches. So I don't promote racing cars on the street, and for those of you with airbags and locking seat belts feel lucky.
Originally Posted by 5-16-2005
hey it did it, I was in neutral booking about ninety five to 100 through out the turn i was amazed at that the road was curved to hell but yes I should have slid right off the road but it stuck, quite nicely too, the car held but the suspension dropped real low, as i said my suspension which is clearly well above the tires, hit the tires and road on them, I never felt a loss of traction , other than the car shudder when the thires came in contact with the wheel wells. If i could back it up I would but I don't like pressing my luck, considering at the time tunnel vision was in, I dont wanna try that again I had a little bit more clearance than that but it was wasn't much more.

I am done with road racing unless it's on a road course , i dont mind spinning out and wrecking the car, but a head on scares the hell out of me.
Garage Time:
Originally Posted by 6-8-2005
i just messed up really bad. I took my buddy for a ride in my car, showed him the corvair. He loved the corvair, I let him drive the iroc back, all he said is how much he loved American "muscle cars" the whole way home. He has a 2001 Hyundai Tiberon, really pretty car. Now remeber that suspension comment on how new cars have really good suspensions. YOU ALL LIE.

Okay he was beating on it, it seemed really fast.

He got out told me to drive. Driving it, it seemed really fast @ 60mph, i mean my Iroc at 120 felt slow compared to 60 in that. Well the clutch movement was like a whole inch for out of gear to engaged and it was a short throw shifter. The steering wheel had like a 3:1 ratio. I'm serious every little motion and this car turned. an 1/8 of a turn did a u turn.

Okay turn onto a road, go over a hill @ 40mph the road disapears i find it but @ the top of the hill the car goes almost airborn, i lose the back end and i put it in neutral counter steer, lose it, repeat 4-5times, i couldn't get traction, finally the car completely loses it, the suspension wouldn't let the car grip, when i tried to steer with it the car went into a spin, when it spins to where the i can see where i am going i see brickwall. I put it into gear turn the wheels as hard as i can front end hits the wall, and turns. The car proceeds to continue spinning thankfully. Smash the rear end of the car into the wall keeps spinning, get the other end , the drivers side hits a deck at the quater panel. Car stops, before it even stops I look at my buddy he's fine. The airbags didn't even go off. The car is totaled. I asked if he had collison he says yes. Cop comes, takes my license stuff and his vehicle info.

It turns out he doesn't have collision, my car is parked and so is my license.
Damages known....... front end totaled,: clip, all the stuff that holds it, one turning signal, windshield, cracked radiator, hood, and anything in that area. Rear: both quater panels, rear tail light, paint job.

Last edited by Mcdamit; 05-18-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM

I just noticed something,, two weeks earlier I said I dont mind spinning the car out and wrecking it, ....
Old 05-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Z/28..39 Plymouth truck in progress
Engine: S/B
Transmission: Manual
Ryan (Mcdamit), you are the absolute perfect poster child and I do mean child for:

#1 Why they should have a maturity test to get a drivers license......not that I in any way shape or form believe any of your BS but the fact that some of the younger members might buy into it!

#2 Why people are not posting here anymore!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 PM

Wow, look its a 3go member that musta been banned from here. Reason, you know my name...

1. That is all true, I could introduce you to the guys racing with me, keep in mind that is how the races are around here, there are no real straights like in other areas... Look at the areas death toll when it comes to high speeds, cars and head on collisions...

2. I dont race on the streets anymore; I have lost too many friends and had too many close calls.

When I get the cash and finish up my car, as due to storage she is ****ing falling apart. I will be running her in the Auto-X and I plan to make it to ATCO this year.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Car: 91 Formula WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: five speed
For you guys who take it to the track, right on! There are so many forms of legal racing it is ridiculous....autox is almost everywhere and dirt cheap, drag strips are in driving distance of most folks.

I don't see this place as a "street racing board" - I know plenty of folks who post on here that don't street race, in fact many don't race at all. There are tons of topics here that don't address racing of any kind, every day! There are street racers here, no doubt, but they will be in jail, the hospital or morgue if Darwin has anything to say about it!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:47 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS, 72 Camaro SS
Engine: 305TBI, til it pukes
Transmission: Auto
2. I dont race on the streets anymore; I have lost too many friends and had too many close calls.
When I get the cash and finish up my car, as due to storage she is ****ing falling apart. I will be running her in the Auto-X and I plan to make it to ATCO this year.
The really sad part is in your first post you acknowledged coming up on a residential area. That's why you slowed down to 90. Then in your next post you said you got around the corner and got back on it to finish the race. Which means you endangered several lives as you you continued through the populated area!

I believe you street raced. I believe you made stupid mistakes. I believe we all do. I also believe you embellish on your stories a bit. (ok, a lot)
Here's hoping you stick to your words and keep it on the track before you can no longer tell anymore stories.

Sasser, good for you. You've weaseled your way from street racing, to country roads racing and finally abandoned air strips. But given the chance, when that 5.0 mustang pulls up next to you at a city stoplight, you'll be the first to egg him on and race to the next light. Your EGO and not safety will be the only thing on your mind. And one of those times you or some innocent person will pay the ultimate price.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:07 PM

The really sad part is in your first post you acknowledged coming up on a residential area. That's why you slowed down to 90. Then in your next post you said you got around the corner and got back on it to finish the race. Which means you endangered several lives as you you continued through the populated area!

I believe you street raced. I believe you made stupid mistakes. I believe we all do. I also believe you embellish on your stories a bit. (ok, a lot)
Here's hoping you stick to your words and keep it on the track before you can no longer tell anymore stories.

Sasser, good for you. You've weaseled your way from street racing, to country roads racing and finally abandoned air strips. But given the chance, when that 5.0 mustang pulls up next to you at a city stoplight, you'll be the first to egg him on and race to the next light. Your EGO and not safety will be the only thing on your mind. And one of those times you or some innocent person will pay the ultimate price.
YOU EVER THINK IM TRYING NOT TO GET YELLED AT LIKE SASSER...

anyway, I wasn;t trying to get attention my only point was that these cars can handle

Last edited by Mcdamit; 05-18-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:11 PM
stu
Supreme Member

The really sad part is in your first post you acknowledged coming up on a residential area.
He never said residential area.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:26 PM

no i said somewhere awhile ago that I came up to a residential and took it down to 90 and hit the brakes and took it down to 96mph.. Residential area was small like 10 houses.. I had one of the guys on here contact me, he is trying to build a 12 second 305.. I'll take him for a ride when I get my car on the road
Old 05-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

YOU EVER THINK IM TRYING NOT TO GET YELLED AT LIKE SASSER...

anyway, I wasn;t trying to get attention my only point was that these cars can handle

You are a good poster child, for why young people have bad reps and high insurance rates. You obviousely CANNOT handle any vehicle. You are a horrible driver, and should not have a license. Leave the kids make mistakes crap alone on this one, you sound like just a horrible driver, and shouldnt be on the road.

This is coming from someone who races at the track (national events, and even been in a magazine or two for some of my races). I have street raced a few times. I regret doing it, but never let it get out of control, never did it with anyone else around, never did it with anyone else in the car (minus one time) and have never put anyone else in danger. I dont drive fast, especially on roads I am unfamilar with, or cars I am unfamiliar with. These are all reasons I have yet to make a mistake (or what some of you call mistakes) and still have all my cars, with no body damage!

I have lost people to racing, and bad driving, and seen a lot of bad accidents. Only thing is I didnt have to see this to stop me from doing it, I was smarter than that!
Old 05-18-2006, 02:36 PM

calm down, im done with it.. I have raced 5 times total..never again. I stopped for the same reason you dont.. I have seen too many people die.. There was only one high speed race, didn;t realize how fast were going till I looked at the gauge. the rest were around 60mph, and one run in with a foxbody.. But yes I know..

I stopped after that last race I posted.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Engine: 2.0 turbo
Transmission: m5
Axle/Gears: 3.91 LSD
Can't you kids ever have a discussion without it devolving down to bickering and name calling?