TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque and traction.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque and traction.....

I know that our TPI's have lots of torque and all...

I have a 92 z28 only mod is flowmasters exhaust(no headers yet) and i have never spun wheels from a stop, i hear that some of u do?? Seems like i can never spin....

whats the deal?
Old 05-05-2002, 12:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Any 5.7L TPI car should be able to destroy the rear tires from a dead stop if you just stomp the gas. Something is wrong with your car.

Could you share a bit about your car? how many miles on the engine, what kind of MPG you get, what happens when you stomp on the gas (does it bog, hiss, etc.), what RPM's does it pull to (will it pull good to 4800-5000?), etc...
Old 05-05-2002, 12:44 AM

the car has only 60k miles on it... my exhaust seems clogged... but i still wasnt able to spin before that ever happened...

could it be injectors, or some other tidbits around the engine.?
Old 05-05-2002, 01:38 AM

Car: Formula
Engine: 400 sbc
Transmission: 700r4
my 305 TPI automatic with 3.27 gears just rips the tires..
i can be going 10 mph and just put her down and feel her slide from side to side.. (245/60R15 BFG radial T/A)
when's the last time it had a tune up?.. check the spark plugs.. maybe it's not fireing on all cyln..
fuel filter...?.. clogged maybe?

cuz that's a really weird problem for a 350.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Supreme Member

without more info it's really hard to say. you could have clogged cats, timing could be way off, who knows. post more info! how the car sounds, how high RPM it will pull to, MPG, last tuneup, how it shifts, anything and everything that will help

assuming you just ran into this situation and have no idea what the deal is, i'd check the easy/free things first... timing, and look at the plugs. check fuel pressure. have a buddy scan the ALDL data coming off the computer, if you know someone with a scanner.

however your MPG and how high rpm the motor pulls to will help us figure out what's going on...
Old 05-05-2002, 01:49 AM

the car is an auto, and RPM wise, it runs fine, shifting from first to second is rough sometimes.....

i dont have the car with me right now, it at home, i will be there next week, how do i check timing??
Old 05-05-2002, 03:32 AM

I really dont know how to do anything with the engine, or check anything... First off, i am too afraid that somethign will go wrong, dont know what, but jsut with my luck, something gets screwed.... and i dont have ANY money to go and get somethin fixed that i didnt need to fix in the first place... anyways...

What things and how, can i check for that dont require anything special?? and what are some of the more complicated things i would have to take to a shop for, specific numbers would be useful to compare to, if i had a shop tell me information....

thanks alot for ur help and patiece... i really dont know anything
Old 05-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

I'd highly recommend you spend a few hours just reading all the old messages here on thirdgen so you can get familiar with your car, the things that can (and do) go wrong, and how to deal with them. You will find (as many of us have) if you keep taking your car to "the shop" and telling the guys to fix it, they will mess up more stuff than they EVER fix, and you will always come away upset. You got to lose that fear!

You still need to give us way more info. I'm guessing you'll have to repost when you get home and can go drive the car.

"shifting from first to second is rough somtimes" doesn't help. what would help is "sometimes when it shifts from first to second, the engine stumbles and misses and loses power when it goes into second". Or "sometimes when it shifts from first to second, the RPM goes way up between gears and then it slams into second". See, we don't know what rough means, and we can't drive your car, so you have to tell us!

There are very few things you can check/do without at least some tools. You can't check timing without a timing light, you can't look at the plugs without a spark plug socket and ratched and other misc tools to get the hard plugs, so on and so forth. If you're interested in cars then you need to start buying some tools! Or you will always be stuck turning your car over to the guys at the shop who don't care that it's a '92 z28, they'll treat it like the 83 civic that came before it, and the 91 corolla that came after it.

post back when you can give us some good detailed info.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:30 PM

aight man, thx alot....