TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

305 head options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 11:45 PM

You're right, aluminum differs from iron when it comes down to a thermal issue. If you look at it in general, the purpose of an internal combustion engine is to convert stored energy (gas) to thermal energy, causing an expansion of the gas fluid, creating pressure that converts to mechanical force by turning the crank. Lots of energy loss. In no way is this related to compression, the compression stage is beforehand. The loss comes in with the aluminum transferring more of the heat (energy) out of the combustion chamber into other places, the block, the air, the coolant... results in a power loss when compared to the iron. Dynamic can be determined if you are really good at math (or have a program), the valve opening and closing times (and air under pressure) effect how much air you can actually get into the cylinder to compress. Static compression is based on the assumption of a full cylinder basically with no valves. Yea... like thats realistic With poor cylinder filling, and bleeding off air due to lots of overlap, you end up with less compression than static. Do it wrong, and you can really screw things up. Try to stuff too much air in, and you run out of octane in essence, and the engine will knock all the time. Thats why if you look at many of the larger cams, they recommend a higher compression ratio, and vice-versa.

Having a set of the vette heads, they are decent enough, but I wouldnt waste my time with them unless you got them reasonably priced (450 isnt IMO) or you wanted to shed some weight off the front of the car. You could probably port the stock heads to be close enough not to worry about. I think the SR's take the guesswork out of proper porting, thats about it... my .02

Last edited by madmax; 05-15-2003 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 6.3L Victor EFI
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"/4.11 Trac-Lok
Originally posted by rockind78

Actually, many will tell you that that bump in compression is REQUIRED to keep up with the iron heads. As a friendly piece of advice, I would recommend you not believe everything you read on this (or any other) site. Keep in mind that just because you are asking the opinions/advice of others, and it is given, doesn't make it correct. It is given to use at YOUR discretion. If you truly want to keep ahead of the game, keep reading literature that is accepted as true. Don't even take what i have stated above as true, it might not all be. My memory isn't always 100%. Looking stuff up for yourself and applying it often proves to be the best teacher of all. [/B]
AMEN
A .5 increase in compression is needed on an aluminum head to equal out to an iron head due to thermal loss.