TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Listen to this!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: 357 TPI (L98)
Transmission: 700R4
Listen to this!

So I had a suspicion my timing mark wasn't right when going back to the stock setting of 6* BTDC caused overheating and header glowing. I had actually done a lot of changes along with changing the timing, at that point, and the glowing only showed up in front of one cylinder on each side, so I ruled out retarded timing at that point. Only by chance, at some point later, I set the timing back to 12* and the problems went away!

Anyways, so I did my best to find TDC with the engine all assembled, and guessed it was about when the timing mark was at 15* on the little gauge. I thought WOW! My timing is off 15 degrees!

Fast forward to taking off the balancer and timing cover to line up the crank.......it had to be off THIRTY FIVE DEGREES! You know how the TDC mark on the gauge is way over to the right of the engine? Well the timing mark on the balancer, with the engine at TDC, was BEYOND straight up by a few degrees! Think of the base circle with straight right being 0 degrees and 90 degrees straight up... YEAH the Zero mark on the gauge is at ~60 degrees and my balancer mark is over at ~95! I am beyond astounded. This MUST be why my car had been running so weak for the past SIX MONTHS! Here's where the trouble starts, though.

I was trying to re-install the balancer (I wasn't about to buy another crappy two-piece OEM one, and didn't have a source for a Fluidampr yet), and I freaking screwed up the threads in the crank! Stupid, I know, but I really didn't expect it to be that hard to put it back on. I knew that when the balancer stopped going further and the crank was turning, something was wrong. Now I have to track down a tap and die set to fix my crank hole (lol) and the pulley bolt. Sucks.

What do you guys do to put on the harmonic balancer? I am going to go ahead and wait the few days for a Fluidampr now that the car is down, so I'm gonna go ahead and do it right.

I was SO excited to find the solution to my poor-running and now I have to WAIT! I've got Made4U looms, Taylor Spiro-Pros, an ALDL cable, and prom burning equipment to try out....this is KILLING me!

Anyways, so I'd appreciate it if you guys would give me some tips for putting the balancer on (even though it will be a different one). Thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Auto Zone rents a balancer installation tool that'll keep you out of trouble, works great. You can buy one from Summit Racing for ~$40 or whatever.

It threads into the crank, then uses a big nut and thrust bearing to pull the balancer into place nice and gently.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:09 AM
Banned

Engine: 2 mice and a cat
This happens all too often. My balancer is off in my car also. I found it though timing etc that is was off. When we degreed the cam, is when I should have identified if the balancer mark was in the right spot, but we did not have all the parts back and it was taken for granted. Forutately I found it right away with tuning where the base needed to be. 12* advanced for my base, instead of 6*. Some of the error is also introduced with the timing tabs. So not all mine is most likely in the balancer. Some could be the crank keyway, some in the balancer, and some in the tab. Would not take long to gather 6*.

Take your time with the balancer install, make sure you screw the tool in a few threads before pulling the balancer into place, or you can pull the threads out if your not in deep enough.

You will find all sorts of power!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: 357 TPI (L98)
Transmission: 700R4
Man thats what I'm hoping. Everything on my car is running so well, I just couldnt get it to run strong like it used to. It's been through a lot in the last year, and I used to be able to burn the tires into second gear. Although thats not a good gauge, its a MAJOR SOTP difference. It used to kick me in the *** when I put my foot down, but lately its been so embarassing.

I mean THIRTY FIVE degrees off! I can't WAIT to get it fixed......