TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused need help---ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Confused need help---ignition

I had to remove the intake manifold on my 88 Iroc 5.0 TPI and when i got everything put back together the engine runs like crap and the whole car is shaking. like is not running on all cylinders. I timed it, and checked all the wires and firingorder and it still runs bad. Then today i went out and started it up i heard like a rotating craping noise. It's comming from the distributer. Also when i had the distributer pulled apart i noticed that it was rusted pretty bad. I need help with this.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of gasket did you use on the distributor? Also, did you replace the cap and rotor when you put it back in?
Old 11-17-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
The gasget i used came with the intake manifold kit i got from NAPA. I think it's victor reinz something like that. The cap was fine but today i am going to go buy a new rotor.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tuppidsay
The gasget i used came with the intake manifold kit i got from NAPA. I think it's victor reinz something like that. The cap was fine but today i am going to go buy a new rotor.
The reason I asked is that I had removed my distributor to replace a leaking dist gasket and when it was all back together it wouldn't idle right and when I reved it up there was a grinding noise like gears not meshing right. I removed the distributor again and removed the gasket, a cork one that came in an intake kit, and replaced it with a paper one, no more idling problems and no noise when reving it. It seems as if the thicker cork gasket (3X thicker than the paper ones) raises the dist too high to properly mesh with the cam gear.

Also, the first time I had ever removed my intake I couldn't get the car to start after it was all back together. I replaced the cap and rotor and it started right up and ran fine, note that it ran fine before removing the intake, no misfires or idling problems, but aparently it eas worn enough that removing it and reinstalling disturbed it enough to make it not work.