TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350 TPI Swap Into Early Camaro! Any help would be great Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350 TPI Swap Into Early Camaro! Any help would be great Guys!

What I have is a 350 TPI engine and 700r4 Transmission with all the wiring and Computer. What I am going to implant this into is an 69 Camaro that came originally with a 350. ----- Here are a few of my questions, any input, help, or direction would be greatly appricated! THANKS!!

-Is it possible for me to use the Harness and just splice in the power and other functions nessecary to run the Tuneport for my stock harness? Ex. Starter, Power to various item's "injectors", ignition?

-I do not plan on running any of the emissions items and a set of headers, but I do plan on running all sensors including the 02. Will not running the emmisions items make the engine run poorly?

-I have an after market fuel pump capable of pushing any where from 25-40psi, but do I need a fuel return line to make it operate off the fuel rail?

- Also is it a problem if I do not run a Data Link Connector? As I am not sure as how to wire all of that in?

-Is their anything else nessecary to make the transmission lock up operate? And also do I need any other sensors to make it function properly such as like a wheel speed sensor?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME!! IT IS VASTLY APPRICATED!!!!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:42 PM

Car: '88 G T/A
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt
Originally Posted by mxzxracer16
-Is it possible for me to use the Harness and just splice in the power and other functions nessecary to run the Tuneport for my stock harness? Ex. Starter, Power to various item's "injectors", ignition?
Yes
-I do not plan on running any of the emissions items and a set of headers, but I do plan on running all sensors including the 02. Will not running the emmisions items make the engine run poorly?
If by emissions you mean A.I.R. and evap canister, then the motor will run fine without them.
-I have an after market fuel pump capable of pushing any where from 25-40psi, but do I need a fuel return line to make it operate off the fuel rail?
Doesnt sound like this pump will work. Yes you need a return line. TPI setups can run up to 50 psi stock I believe.
- Also is it a problem if I do not run a Data Link Connector? As I am not sure as how to wire all of that in?
You'll never be able to datalog, get error codes, that kinda stuff.
-Is their anything else nessecary to make the transmission lock up operate? And also do I need any other sensors to make it function properly such as like a wheel speed sensor?
Lockup requires a VSS(vehicle speed sensor) I believe.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Form, 91 Z28, 89 GTA, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI, LG4
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 2.73
What year TPI do you have?

You may run into a problem without VATS and the correct key. You can easily get a chip burned for that (or buy a simple programmer and do your own chips for cheaper).

You'll also want to delete some error codes and disable some emissions things while you're at it, like EGR, purge, and AIR.

The stock wiring for the 69 can actually stay in the car, like starter, alternator, and use the stock coil wire for the ignition-on wires in the TPI - make sure it's not resistor wire - i.e. 12V at key on is good - and slightly heavy gauge. The TPI alternator power feed wire can be connected to the 69 wire harness (which probably connects to the starter post, or perhaps a remote relay if you've done that). The TPI wire harness should include the other two alternator wires.

The fuel system is the most important. You'll probably have to use an in-line pump, and filter, and find a place for a return (possibly return it to the filler neck area, but still need to drop the tank and do some welding - think safety). Tank venting will also be a problem, unless you run a vented cap - but if you used the charcoal canister and purge valve, you'd have a cleaner emissions car.

You'll need a park/neutral switch installed. Does the 69 have a starter lockout for when in gear? Might be able to rig that to work, or just get creative.

VSS is different for different years. 90-92 is easiest, but if you keep the stock cable drive speedometer, you can get a VSS/cable drive combination from tpi-parts (site sponsor) for $85.

Lockup will also need to be routed through a brake switch, so that it disengages with brakes.

If you wanted to do lockup without computer control, there's kits available to do it based on vacuum and brakes.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:21 AM

Jermy

Thanks alot for your help and guidance. I plan on running no emmisions at all on the engine Ex. Purge, Air, Egr. As for the VSS does that have the hall effect switch on the transmission? The engine is out of a 1992 Z28 350tpi.
I have a few more questions for you also.

-DO I need to have 12volts with the key in the run position, or just the 12 volts while cranking?

-Where can I get a programer to make the suggested changes you mentioned?

-My next question is can I just wire the Neutral Safety Switch into a closed circuit so it will start in any situation? "I know it sounds Ignorant, but I always set the line loc when I get out."

-How do I know if my engine is equipt with the VATS or not? And how could I get around this issue!?!?

-I also run a fuel cell which is vented, so I assume I just need to run a return line back to it, and have a fuel pressure gauge that can put out around 45 correct?

-And one last thing what else am I going to need to hook up the Data Link Connector, and is their any outher wiring I will need ?

Thanks so much for all your help and Time~!!~