TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the TPiS book? is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have the TPiS book? is it worth it?

Going to start moding my 91 Z-28 (350) And was planning on porting the plenum and other things and was wondering whether or not this book could ,in general, be helpful. If you have it would you recomend it? The price seems kind of high but if it helps I think I could manage to use some of the "car fund" money to purchase it. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:40 PM

From what I heard about it here a couple years ago, its a larger TPIS catalog. Theres a book about GM fuel injection, but I am not the one to ask. I think Glenn knows what the name is.

Knew someone would know... look below

[This message has been edited by madmax (edited January 30, 2001).]
Old 01-30-2001, 10:45 PM

Hey change your name to 91z28 then. Sounds to much like mine. A good book is How to tune and modify chebrolet fuel injection by ben watson. You can get it at barnes and nobles.

------------------
87z 383,afr 190's, crane hyd roller(224/230-.509/.528,112 sep),Ported and polished mini ram, 30lb inj, 3.42 gears, strange 12 bolt, tremec 5spd, , 1,3/4" slp headers.
Old 01-31-2001, 01:29 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
I agree with Madmax that the "TPIS Insider Hints" is thinly disguised advertisment posing as a "tips" book. Any of the worth while "tips" are well known on this site and anyone can tell you about them.

I also think some of their "tips" should carry a warning sticker. While I agree with the theory of cranking up your fuel pressure for better atomization, what TPIS doesn't tell you is that the stock eprom from GM is already design to work on the rich side. For maximum performance on a basically stock engine, you do not need extra fuel, you need less.

To use the "high fuel pressure" to maximum advantage, you need to lean out the Fuel Tables in the eprom, especially at the higher load (MAP)/low vacuum/WOT part. Then it works quite nicely. But without it, you just run too rich, burning gas needlessly and actually hurting performance on a basically stock engine.

If I was to do it ALL OVER AGAIN, I would start by learning how to burn my own eprom. Then you can readily make a custom eprom to take full advantage of any mod you make. Also, I think a basically stock engine is the perfect place to start modifying your eprom. The changes you make will not be drastic, and you can always rely on your "faithful GM eprom" to get you out of trouble if you screw something up.

When you have made drastic changes to your engine is not the time to try learning to burn an eprom. You are taking on the "learning curve" without knowing exactly how everything works, while trying to overcome a serious problem. WITH the pressure of getting the damn car to work to boot. And lastly, you WON'T have your trusty GM memcal to get you out of trouble as it will be seriously deficient.
Old 01-31-2001, 02:59 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1996 Vette / 1992 GSX1100F Suzuki
Engine: 1996 Corvette Coupe 388 LT1 (+.060)
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.07
My experience had been just the opposite.

When I first entered the TPI modification arena, TPIS' Insider Hints book was the first book I latched on to.

If your knowledge of the workings of the engine were as basic as mine (having been a carb guy since Hector was a pup), the book will be well worth the cost.

It'll explain what all the sensors do, how the ECM uses their input and has lots of charts, flow numbers and dyno results.

I found it very useful to get a better understanding of the way GM designed the system and changing which parts showed the most improvement.

Like any other topic though, one book doesn't make a library, but it's as good a starting point as any other.

I suggest you buy it.

Jake

------------------
1986 Corvette Coupe, 415 CID, Edelbrock 6073s, ZZ9
Old 01-31-2001, 05:22 AM

Originally posted by 87z28:
Going to start moding my 91 Z-28 (350) And was planning on porting the plenum and other things and was wondering whether or not this book could ,in general, be helpful. If you have it would you recomend it? The price seems kind of high but if it helps I think I could manage to use some of the "car fund" money to purchase it. Thanks.
Insider hints is a great short manual. It gives you some good info and numbers on their test findings. It will help you plan out your engine for the HP you want.

Old 01-31-2001, 06:19 AM
Banned

You would have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands for me to give it up
Old 01-31-2001, 10:28 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Jake/Turbo, back in the early 90s when there was VERY limited information, I did find it useful (though somewhat misleading). And I did use it back then to do all of their freebie/cheapie mods. But there is nothing in that book that is not discussed at this web site on a fairly regular basis. If there is, please let me know and I will dig my copy out of storage where I currently have it.

I thoroughly disagree with their 45 HP claim for their Fastpac...and that is when I started to raise an "eyebrow" at some of their claims and why I agree with Madmax's call that it is basically an advertisment.
Old 01-31-2001, 02:30 PM

Insider hints is a good starting point but the hp #'s they claim are ridiculous. That being said I would still recommend it. A better read is the book by John Lingenfelter called "Modifying Small block Chevy's". Lingenfelter is the man when it comes to these motors. Just my .02.

------------------
Neptune, NJ
White '87 Vette- superrammed 383 in process
Old 01-31-2001, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TeamTripp Performance
I like Ben Watson's "How to Tune and Modifiy Chevrolet Fuel Injection". It gives clear explanations about how TPI works and has some tips on mods too. You should be able to get it either locally or online for about $15.
http://www.racenet.net/missing.php3?...oks/chevy.php3
Old 02-01-2001, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, TPIS's claims are inflated, but then name one company in this game who is honest about the potential of their product.

To be fair, if you were honest, you'd probably lose sales. Imagine selling your airfoil with the claim that it would only make 2 - 5 hp on a stock motor, while everyone else is claiming their airfoil will make 8 - 10 hp. You'd practically have to give 'em away for anyone to consider owning one('course realistically they're selling a $10 piece of aluminum for $49 - $59, so honesty doesn't seem to ever enter into the equation).

I found Lingenfelter's book mildly helpful, but tired of the endless self-promotion. Seems to me if I were interested in a crate engine, I wouldn't be buying a book on how to do it myself.

Another author you might consider is John Baechtel. He has written several books on building and modifying Chevy engines. He has also written, "Chevy TPI Fuel Injection Swapper's Guide". While there are no mods in this book, it will give you a good understanding how TPI works. It also has a very good guide to troubleshooting fault codes.

Finally, although Ray T. Bohacz hasn't written a book yet(that I'm aware of), he has written many magazine articles(for the likes of "High Tech Performance", GM High Tech Performance" and "Hot Rod"). If you find old issues with his byline, read, and reread the articles 'til the letter are falling off the page. As far as I'm concerned, he is the true guru of F.I. in general and specifically TPI. He's probably forgotten more about TPI than most of us will ever learn.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Car: Teal 92 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Anyone have the TPiS book? is it worth it?

I see that this thread is only a few days old and figured I would ask a couple of questions My 16yr old and I are restoring a 92 Z28 1LE and all the local car gentlemen are telling us to save our money and buy a crate or do the LS swap. The thing is we like the TPI look and being that this is my sons first car (he does have almost 2 yrs under his belt driving a 4dr 4x4 99 tahoe and my AWD Dodge Magnum RT) I don't need him to have crazy power but in saying that I would like to maximize this motor to it best potential as a nice DD. We will get him some beater when he goes away to college and then after he can play with it. We would greatly appreciate some direction of things you have found you actually work. Trying to find a thread also about cams n lifters, not trying to race but again would like to make the motor more efficient for him and last. It has 90k on it if that helps. Thanks again for the direction...if anyone still reads this thread..lol
Old 08-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: Anyone have the TPiS book? is it worth it?

I think you mean a few yrs old lmao. Your post sounds identical to one in the tpi tricks thread of actual recent days. Go look thru that or start a new post