TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start. Turn key, everything has power but wont even try -Please help- :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start. Turn key, everything has power but wont even try -Please help- :)

Greetingz,
I have an '87 Trans am GTA. Car was running alright except for excessive vibration from long neck headers vibrating against frame. I was wondering if this was causing the knock sensor to go off so I decided to disconnect the ESC module and see what would happen. I did, and when I turned the key it had a split second of trying to turn-over then just went dead. Now turning the key does nothing. It still zeros the gauges and I still have power to everything but wont even try to engage starter or anything. Any ideas? I also had moved some wires that went to the fuel pump relay harnes that looked kinda bad - maybe a short there? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

F-Messenger

PS: You may see this in the Electronics section; I posted there too to get maximum possible response coverge.
Old 03-11-2001, 09:32 PM

There are fusible link wires that run to the starter, I would start by checking those and making sure they are ok.
Old 03-11-2001, 10:31 PM

MadMax,
Thankyou for your reply. I was thinking that as well. I wanted to confirm if there were "in-line" links to the starter that reside under and behind the steering column (accessible by removing the bottom plastic cover) and if so confirmed - where exactly? As I recall from a previous F-body experience, there was at least one under there. Any ideas? Thanks!

F-Messenger
Old 03-11-2001, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '86 IROC-Z/'94 Z28
Engine: 350 LT1/382 LT1
Transmission: 4L60-E/T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.45/3.42 (soon 4.10)
If you want to unhook the knock sensor, just unhook it at the sensor, not the ESC. Also, check the starter to see if power is getting down there when you turn the key (may of went bad- coincedence, just dont electrocute yourself or fry a good multimeter) I'd also check the fuel pump relay, (should click when you turn the ignition on) and anything else that was changed since it quit running.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:05 PM

Update:
I tested all my fusable links to make sure they had voltage on both side of link for each one. I then investigated the purple wire going to the starter. I noted it had "0" voltage and imagined that the when you turn the key it drops 12 volts on it to start starter. So I tested my theory by tapping into the purple wire and then touching it to the 12-volt post of battery (with the key turned to on of course) and BOOM it cranked over without a hitch! So now I must investigate why when I turn the key it doesnt drop 12 volts onto the purple wire. Any ideas? Thanks!

F-Messenger