TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy question...for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy question...for you guys

I need to check a SES code on my wifes '92 Z L98. I dont have a code key, so Ill be using the good 'ol paper clip problem is I dont remember which two terminals I need to connect on that port under the steering column. I just went to look so Id know what I was talking about(somewhat ). There are 12 ports total. 6 over 6. Which two is it I need? Since it sits nearly horizontal, lets refer to the sides as "upper" meaning closer to the steering wheel and "lower" meaning closer to the brake pedal. Thanks.

Oh, if I cant find my d@mn Haynes manual soon, I may need to ask what the code is too
Old 07-03-2001, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

If your looking directly at the 12port plug(ALDL port), you want to jump terminals A and B, which are the UPPER RIGHT 2 ports.

------------------
1987 IROC-Z L98,SuperRam,EB 6085's,LPE 219/219 Roller, Crane 1.6RR, EB TPI Base, 58mm TB, ADS 24#, AFPR, K&N, EB TES, Catco Cat, 3" Borla Cat-Back, Accel cap,rotor,distro/other crap, MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster 3, Aluminum DS, 94 Disk Rear, Adjustable Valve, Precision 3.73 Gears, Sub-Frame Connectors, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, KYB Shocks/Struts, Suspension Techniques Lowering Springs, Polyurethan Bushings all over the place, Moog Upper/Lower Ball joints and Tie Rods ends/Idler Arm,

To see the ROC, Check out the webpage Here
Old 07-03-2001, 06:48 PM

Thanks man. Im on my way out!
Old 07-03-2001, 06:59 PM

O.k. this is what I got. I have 3 quick flashes a pause then 2 more...code 32? Then I get 1 flash a pause then 2 more. If I remember correct thats not a code is it? That just means that there are no more codes stored, correct? Or is this another SES code? Code 12? Anyone know what either of these codes are?
Old 07-03-2001, 07:36 PM

It should flash the 12 first, then any codes, then 12 again... each one is flashed 3 times in succession.

32 is for the EGR system. SD cars like to set that code from what I have seen. There is a procedure for checking the solenoid and valve to see if those are faulty that should be in your manual.... if you ever find it. I'd check the vacuum lines, make sure they are not broken or disconnected.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:42 PM

lol Im still lookin' for it. I may have missed the first code 12 when my head was stuck under the steering wheel I was thinking it was gunna have somethin' to do with the EGR. That kinda sucks. Guess I'll check out the vac. lines, and wires and stuff tommorow, hopefully its just something easy/stupid. It runs and drives fine, so its not going into limp home or anything, but the lights coming on about every other day now.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:47 PM

Code 32 is an EGR system malunction.
It could be one of the following:
1}Bad EGR valve
2)Bad or broken/shorted wire on EGR diagnostic switch.
3)Bad EGR Vacuum solenoid.
4)BAD ECM or wiring problem

Lets not go to number 4 for now.
The easiest? check is to disconnect the EGR diagnostic switch connector which comes out(from under) the back of the TPI plenum. Color code is dark green. Disconnect wire/connector with engine/key off. Do a continuity check between the connector pin (or wire) from the switch to ground (engine ground preferably).
If you have continuity then you need to replace the switch(or fix the open or short to ground). (Switch is normally open)
If no connection to ground, then check if you are getting proper vacuum at the solenoid. If not, replace solenoid. (This a rare failure) But it is the easiest fix.
If neither of these fix the problem then it's probably the EGR Valve HISSELF. Sorry, its late.
Tip:
If you have to remove the plenum to fix the switch, replace the EGR valve while your at
it.And conversley
Let us know how you do.
p.s. Dont trade the car in. Its not that bad.!!
Old 07-03-2001, 07:58 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by trickfbody:

p.s. Dont trade the car in. Its not that bad.!!
</font>
Its my wifes car she'd kill me if I even hinted at that! When I met her she owned a Tempo Id say Ive done well training her!

Thanks for the tips. It'll have to wait for tommorow now though, its dark, raining and my garage has most of my '73 Formula laying around in it!

Old 07-04-2001, 11:49 AM

Received 219 Likes on 179 Posts
BB,

Load this file:

GM Error Codes.pdf

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open the file (see below).

------------------
Later,
Vader
------------------
"Let the bodies hit the floor!"
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Old 07-06-2001, 10:07 PM

Thanks Vader, thats very helpful. Due to the 4th, and some crappy(!) weather I still havent been able to thoroughly look over her car, hopefully tommorow