TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever Done This???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever Done This???

OK. I went to the junyard this week and I'll be darned if there wasn't one, but two TPI setups sitting there ('85 and '86...no harness or MAF's... will figure that out later). Anyway, I bought them both (dirt cheap) and got almost all the parts off the cars when I go to get the thermostat housing off the manifold and one of the bolts breaks!!! Have you guys had any experience with this and do you think a machine shop will be able to get the rest of the bolt out. I REALLy don't want to helicoil it. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2001, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI going to LT1
Transmission: 5spd
if you have a tap and die kit and a small stud and some nuts you can do it yourself. a machine shop should have no trouble at all though.
Andrew
Old 07-20-2001, 10:09 PM
Jay
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 5.7 RamJet
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Dana44 4.10
get an extracter set
they work wonders I have used mine several times
Basically similar to the tap and die method
you drill a hole in the snapped off bolt
then thread the extractor into it. It's got tapered reverse threads and a 3/8 square on one end so you can put a wrench on it.
then just turn the bolt out like you normally would. You can get a set at any hardware store, I got mine at Sears.

If you fin a good machine shop, they will probably do it for like $10 - $20 if you pay cash
Old 07-21-2001, 03:10 AM

I'd take it to someone, those bolts get really corroded and quite honestly all an extractor or easy-out(worst contradiction in terms of all time) will do is break, and then you will have a hardened piece of steel rather than just a bolt stuck in there. Then you will have to take it to someone. Trust me, save yourself the headache.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:41 AM

same thing these guys are saying. I tried to extract mine and messed up the bolt hole. Wound up having to rethread the hole and put studs in.

Clayton

Take it to a shop
Old 07-21-2001, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by madmax:
I'd take it to someone, those bolts get really corroded and quite honestly all an extractor or easy-out(worst contradiction in terms of all time) will do is break, and then you will have a hardened piece of steel rather than just a bolt stuck in there. Then you will have to take it to someone. Trust me, save yourself the headache.</font>

Yes, learn from our mistakes. It is no fun having this piece of crap steel break off and make your already stuck bolt a bigger pain in the *** .
Old 07-22-2001, 02:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
I agree. I have broken off many a so-called 'easy-out' off and regreted attempting to use these pieces of $hit.

Anybody looking for a cheap incomplete set of Snap-On 'easy-outs' ??????

------------------
1987 GTA L98 MD8 GH3
355 '97 Vortec 4-bolt block, TRW(suck) forged pistons 10:1 CR, TFS 23*, LT4 Hot Cam, Ported plenum and intake, SLP Siam Runners, BBK 52mm TB, Edelbrock TES, gutted Cat, Flowmaster, CAI w/K+N cone, AFPR, TB bypass, AirFoil, !AIR, !A/C, !EVAP, ARAP, 2300 stall, Alum. Driveshaft, Hotchkis STB.

Coming Soon!!: Fourth gen 3.42:1 rear, Spohn LCAs and Panhard, '99 Camaro seats.
Old 07-22-2001, 09:00 AM

Heh.. too funny. A couple years ago, my thermostat acted up so when I went to change it, snapped bolt! I didn't realize how common that was until a buddy of mine got a TPI setup at a junkyard, and they snapped a bolt off in his, too!

Oh, and forget about leaving the manifold on the engine and trying to drill it out with a hand drill. You need to do it on a drill press or a bridgeport!

[This message has been edited by gravitar (edited July 22, 2001).]