TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chip

Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pontiac Trans Am GTA -87
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Chip

My car is a -87 GTA 5.7l
Headers, true dual exhaust. Deleted AIR-system.

I dont have a chip for the deleted AIR, is it necessary? i read that sometimes it will run to lean. Am i right?

When do i have to change chip, and what should i use? I know that the car has a chip now which makes it run cooler. But i dont know if it does something to the fuel/air mixture.

My next plans are to change injectors, adjustable fuelpressure regulator and make a better air intake.

Do i have to change the chip if im rising the fuelpressure? what injectors should i use?

Many thanks to answers, i dont know anything about what chip to use and so on.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1
Re: Chip

The AIR doesn't matter, so you don't change the chip just for that being gone.

Your best bet is to find a local tuner who can custom tune your EPROM and make a deal for the work. They (the tuner) will usually be very valuable in offering good advice about which modifications to do, and may also offer a re-tune after the mods are completed.
Don't go for a 20-minute dyno tune. Find a tuner who will take the time to get the idle and part-throttle right while street driving as well.

After a conversation or two with a good tuner, you should be less confused about this process and what to expect.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pontiac Trans Am GTA -87
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Thank you for your answer!

The only problem is that i live in Finland and we dont have many who making tuning-chip for American cars.

I know about a company in Sweden who makes tuning chips depending on the motor parts. I have heard that he is making good chipīs.

But off course its better if you can testdrive and adjust it after.

Originally Posted by 305sbc
The AIR doesn't matter, so you don't change the chip just for that being gone.

Your best bet is to find a local tuner who can custom tune your EPROM and make a deal for the work. They (the tuner) will usually be very valuable in offering good advice about which modifications to do, and may also offer a re-tune after the mods are completed.
Don't go for a 20-minute dyno tune. Find a tuner who will take the time to get the idle and part-throttle right while street driving as well.

After a conversation or two with a good tuner, you should be less confused about this process and what to expect.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Irocz
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.25:1

Chip readers/burners are pretty cheap and you can get very functional tuning software for free, so why not go to the DIYPROM section here and learn to do it yourself. It should be fairly simple for a lightly modified engine.
Most people find it intimidating or a little painful to get started but learn to love it in the end.