TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welp here I goo..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welp here I goo..

This is my first post here and no I don't own a F-Body but I will be doing a TPI swap soon but first I need some help with planning (On a fairly tight budget)
So here's what I'm working with I have an 85 Monte Carlo (Base Model-Auto trans) with a fuel injected 4.3 but will be swapping it out for an 87 Vette 5.7 TPI motor and 7004R trans..I plan on switching from column shift to floor shift and new (performance) exhaust from headers (I believe I can run long tube headers seeing as how clearance won't be an issue with my Monte) back (Car is emissions exempt).Now here is where my questions begin and believe me I have a bunch..I will be pulling the motor out of the Vette and rebuilding it before putting it in my Monte (new seals ect.) I want to do as many mods to it while it's out of the car as I can without getting to carried away (Basically porting out whatever you guys suggest Plenum and Runners I'm guessing?) As well as swapping out the cam with one you guys suggest..I've tried doing my research but everybody's project is different and I just want to make sure the mod's I'm doing aren't just a waste of time and money.Any help,suggestions and links are greatly appreciated.I don't plan on dragging the car but I do want it to be pretty mean.I've read that these motors struggle with high rpms due to the long runners but I really want to make atleast 300hp
Old 04-18-2012, 03:27 AM
COTM Editor (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 89 Formula 350, TTA
Re: Welp here I goo..

i do like those mid-80's Monte Carlo SS's. but unfortunately, the non-SS versions suffer from very pedestrian, non-threatening looks. but with the right wheel/tire/stance combination, i'm sure even a non SS can be made to look pretty badass.

so, you've got an 5.7 TPI out of a Corvette. the good news is that you already have the aluminum heads covered. i would go with a set of SLP siamesed runners - i dont like the looks of them on an F-Body, but they should look fine on a Monte Carlo. i would upgrade to a set of full roller rocker arms (you will need narrow body, self aligning - $250-$300.) as far as your cam choice, personally, i dont like a lopey idle on a late-model car - i have a GMPP crate motor (ZZ4/FB385) cam in my Formula 350 and it has a pretty smooth idle. i think it has about a .474/.510 lift. if i HAD to go with a non-SS Monte Carlo, i would try to keep it pretty sleeper.

it would help to know what your budget is before giving advise on what else i would do. but a 87 Corvette 350 is like a 250 horsepower motor, so 300 is very doable for not too much hassle. sounds like it could be a cool project.